4.0 out of 5 stars When comparing it to..........
If you've been considering the purchase of either a Sangean DT 200 or DT 210 portable, read THIS review.

Published on March 6, 2005 by RbwNY

3.0 out of 5 stars The User Interface doesn't live up to standards..
Published on November 29, 2005 by BB

4.0 out of 5 stars When comparing it to.........., March 6, 2005
RbwNY (Schenectady, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sangean DT-200X FM-Stereo AM/FM Digital Tuning Personal Receiver (Electronics)

I'm writing it as a basic comparison to both Sangean portables, which in themselves are excellent radios, but if the traits and features of both could be fused into one... then we'd have the HOLY GRAIL of pocket portables! I'd also like to make some comments that other reviewers have failed to discuss regarding the DT 200.

Let's begin with what the DT 200 is constantly touted for, perhaps more so than its cousins... AM reception. When comparing the DT 200 and DT 210 for AM reception, there is NO DIFFERENCE! Both perform equally well. This is for standard daytime listening, when comparing the selectivity/sensitivity for both and the ability to null locals for capturing a weak or out of town station. Basically ANY radio can receive double to triple reception on AM after dark. So in this catagory, they're ALL the same. Turning to FM & TV audio reception in a large metro area: the DT 200 seems slightly MORE sensitive on both bands than the DT 210. Although unless you're trying to get a more obscure station, I seriously doubt most people would notice a difference. Selectivity in the city (for both radios) on FM can be tricky. I have never found a portable of this type to do a satisfactory job of cutting down on the serious bleeding and overloading effect caused by strong FM locals (within 10-20 miles of towers) that a good car stereo or CCRadio type unit can.

TUNING & MEMORY: What is unique about the 200, is that its 19 presets are NOT band specific! If you want, you may have 19 AM presets! OR... 19 FM presets, OR a combination of AM/FM & TV presets... as long as it's 19 or less! What is also good, is the way only 1 button is needed to "flip through" your presets. The downside to this, is that it flips through ALL bands back & forth, if you've selected memories from each. Or, it can be used to automatically "scan" though them... either up or down (but it won't stop on a weak or static-laden signal). The 210 allows 30 presets (10 on each band) which I think is the better way of doing it.

SOUND: The external speaker on the 210 sounds BETTER than the 200! (less like a "transistor radio") The 210 has bass-boost to use through the earplugs, the 200 does not. Both allow for stereo to be switched on and off.

BUTTONS: Generally good for both. The placement of the setting controls is easier to use on the 200, but the actual "tuning" buttons are in a difficult position for holding the radio in your right hand and trying to change channels with 1 finger. This operation is far easier with the 210.

BELT CLIP: Easier to use on the 210. It swivels! The 200's clip (although more snug) doesn't budge.

Bottom line: If audio is everything to you, the DT 210 may be a better choice. If ease of use regarding memory settings is your concern, then you might want the DT 200. Regarding AM reception, just remember this; for everything you may of heard about the DT 200... don't let ANYONE tell you it's superior to any other Sangean portable! I have NOT used the DT 300, but can swear that reception between the 200 and 210 is IDENTICAL. If price is your concern, you might get the 200 a bit cheaper. That's it.

OK, now YOU decide.

3.0 out of 5 stars The User Interface doesn't live up to standards.., November 29, 2005
BB (Detroit, MI USA) - See all my reviews
I was very excited to purchase this portable radio but am returning it after only a few days. With my job, I often will get stuck on a job driving heavy machinery for several weeks at a time. To pass the day, I listen to various talk shows. Recently, while using my battered (but still working!) Sony AM/FM/TV/WeatherBand portable radio, I was disappointed that one of the stations I can usually get wasn't coming in that well. While I was far from my normal working area, the station still came in with my pickup's factory radio.

So I began searching the internet for the "best portable radio" I could find. I quickly came across the Sangeon 200. After reading the reviews, I was very excited to have found the solution I was looking for! I even picked up some new headphones to go with my purchase.

While the reception on all bands was good, to get the most out of it, you really need to be able to set the radio on a table and rotate it "just so" to lock into an AM frequency. Don't get me wrong, the unit is great at what it does and we have certain laws of science here limiting what it can do, but for my application, I needed something I could just clip to my belt and forget about. (I'd still like to know why factory radios in cars don't need to be rotated to get their internal antenna to tune in.)

But, like I mentioned, the DT200V IS an improvement over the Sony in pulling in stations. The Mono button is great at getting rid of static on FM stations too. Even clipped to my belt, the performance was better. But what really made me return this thing was the user interface. I had to read the instructions (just a tiny paragraph) three times in order to learn how to program stations into memory. I'm a gadget geek and that's unusual for something to be so counter intuitive. The root of the problem is that there simply aren't enough buttons on the radio! Programming stations is one thing (how often do you need to do that?) but the fact that switching from one preset to another can take SO many button clicks in inexcusable. I often like to switch from program to program during the commercial breaks, but with the DT200v, you'll find yourself listening to the commercials anyway because it's too much of a hassle to change.

It's almost as if this thing was designed in the late 80's or early 90's. Especially the "feature" requiring you to replace the batteries within 3 minutes or else you lose all of your programmed stations. Back then, electronics WERE this hard to figure out. But now, when you can have a product like the iPod come to market and be such a success, mainly because of its easy to use interface, the Sangeon doesn't live up to standards. The iPod came out YEARS after portable mp3 players had been available from other companies. But it took off because it was EASY TO USE.

So, the bottom line is that if you can settle for a hard to use unit that is GREAT at pulling in stations, the Sangeon DT200V is for you. Perhaps you like to listen to the radio while sitting at the pool, beach or sporting event. Features like the built-in speaker make sense for such an application. But if you are going to be active while using your radio, and you like devices that you can operate with one hand (while barely looking at what you're doing) keep looking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Walking Companion, August 16, 2003
Dale Morejon (Gilroy, Ca. United States) - See all my reviews
I've owned 4 of these amazing pocket radios over the past eight years. They are solidly built, take a beating when dropped, battery life with the newer metal-hydride batteries is superb, and the sound quality with nicer headphones is excellent. All members of my family have one (so there is no argument over who was the last one with the radio), and I keep one at my cabin.
It fits perfectly on a belt on shirt pocket, and with nicer earbuds (Etymotic) and a strong FM channel, one feels like they are really at a concert. The size of the radio and its abilities to pull in TV channels never leaves one too far away from the latest news or radiowaves. The presets are easy to use, though when you remove batteries you must replace within 30 seconds or the memory of the presets disappears.
I could go on, but the hearing, portability and durability is quite amazing for such a small unit with a great price. You won't be sorry on this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars The "Classic" Shirt Pocket Radio, March 12, 2006
jr_Tech (Portland OR. area) - See all my reviews
Sangean DT200 radios have been in production for quite a while (late 80's), and are still considered by many to be the best of their type. Using more modern technology, it may be possible produce a better radio in this size class, but I have seen no indication that this has occured. The Sangean DT210V and DT300VW are a little smaller and lighter (the 300 also has weather band), but no review states that they provide better AM reception. Both of these smaller sets use AAA cells rather than AA. I consider use of AAA cells to be a distinct disadvantage (the AAA cells are much less cost effective).
For a slightly larger set, with a larger/better sounding speaker, whip antenna and backlight, see my review of the Sangean DT220V
The first one that I received did not work, but Amazon replaced it in one day....THANKS Amazon!

Update May 7 2007:
This new improved version, DT200VX has a backlight !

Update April 16 2008:
As a result of the switch from analog to digital TV in the US, the analog channels will be turned off Feb 19, 2009... The TV Audio band of this radio, and others like it will no longer receive TV audio!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised..., October 15, 2003
This little radio is the first thing I've ever bought out of the "Gold Box" and I'm glad I did. My old walkman was getting a little long in the tooth and I was looking for something lighter and more powerful. This is it. It arrived today and I'm happy to say it's small and lightweight, and for the first time since I moved to the boonies, I can get my two favorite AM stations. I can barely get them on my Bose wave radio. They're not crystal clear, but that was in my kitchen (worst reception area), so hopefully when I get outside for my run, it will improve. Even if it doesn't, it was good enough. TV channels were perfect. Also, I didn't realize when I bought it that it has a built-in speaker, so you don't need headphones to use it. I'm very pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great AM reception -- assume you'll be buying new earphones, June 3, 2006
I'll try to keep this short and sweet. If you have been frustrated trying to get AM reception on the go, then you've found the right radio for you. I can't tell you how many pieces of junk I've bought that barely pulled-in even relatively close AM stations unless I constantly twisted the radio to the perfect angle needed to get reception. Luckily (?) those other radios also died pretty quickly. This Sangean product solves the AM reception problem and seems very durable. I also own their CCRadio and this pocket product lives up to its reputation. I love the fact that it also gives you the option to broadcast through the built-in speaker, just like transistor radios of the 50's and 60's--a seemingly forgotten feature. As for listening through the supplied earphones, forget it. Sangean should be ashamed to ship this product with the utter junk earphones that are supplied. Never have I heard tinnier sound, even for AM listening. Not not mention that the cord is annoyingly short. I immediately invested another $35 in decent pair of Koss earbuds and stored the supplied earphones in the nearest trash bin. Now I happily and easily listen to AM and FM stations even over the roar of the lawnmower. There might be alternatives for those of you who plan on listening to FM exclusively, but if you spend even a little time on the AM dial, I really don't think you have a choice but to pick up this radio.

Follow Up: Had this for a couple years now and it's still going strong. Dropped it a couple times and the only damage is the clear plastic over the dial cracked, and the light stopped working.

2.0 out of 5 stars not durable enough for the price, November 25, 2004
I was unfamiliar with Sangean's products until I started searching Amazon for a compact radio last spring. None of the handful of models made the cut, simply because I didn't desire the expense or additional shortwave bands of the Sangean models under consideration. Instead, I chose the very cheap but surprisingly good GE 7-2664 AM/FM portable (Amazon sells it,) a very rugged, very basic radio. I've used it constantly for months without any complaints save one, which is that it is not a pocket model and therefore is less convenient for someone who is moving around a lot. This little Sangean is the answer, combining a very good digital tuner with up to 20 total presets in three bands, AM, FM, and TV channels 2-13. Presets are handy, but Sangean made a big mistake when they decided to do them with only a single button that forces you to flip through all the presets in order to reach the previous one in the sequence--a better way would be to use a rocker switch that goes backward or forward (hope the manufacturer will read this and take note.) Reception is outstanding for a pocket radio. Sound from the included earbuds is decent, especially for talk shows, though they are obviously something of an afterthought from the manufacturer's standpoint. I tossed them in favor of my better-sounding old Panasonics, which don't hurt to use and reveal the fine sound this radio produces. There is a 1" speaker that serves well-enough for AM talk radio, and just barely for FM music programs if it's held near the ear--think of it as a backup to the headphones. That's it for the electronics.

And that's where the trouble begins, as I see it, that being the case construction, which is pretty shoddy and ill-fitting. There are gaps that should not exist on a $50 pocket radio, which is why it is imperative that the unit is kept out of the elements; one errant raindrop could ruin it--totally inexcusable. A gasket should be between the two halves of the plastic case, both as weatherization and as a shock absorber. Those buttons should be rubberized, or at least somewhat less permeable to dust and liquids. I can see one of the batteries behind the poorly-fitting compartment lid. I can also see the day when the lid breaks and I will need to secure it with rubber bands. And the detachable belt clip doesn't look that durable, either.

Nevertheless, it is the electronic component, namely the excellent digital tuner, that make this a worthwhile acquisition. This radio has been manufactured basically unchanged, according to one source, since 1996, which means Sangean considers it a proven design. For an update, I hope they tighten up the case in order to make it a classic. For now, it is merely "very good."

**EDIT: Failed after a year and a half (out of warranty, naturally.)

4.0 out of 5 stars pocket radio junkie tells all, June 29, 2004
Let me start out by saying I don't own a t.v..I do have 12 pocket sized radio's of assorted descriptions,,,,
I bought this one because c.crane said that it had the best am reception of any small radio ,it had a speaker,and it was digital, all of this looked appealing,,,
I live on the fringes of the Seattle radio market, AM is flakey here at best this little gem gets stations I dident even know about before and the FM is as good as any of my sonys.The other realy nice thing is that the battery life is much better than my other digital {a sony that ate two AA'S every three days}this one seems to go two weeks or so,maby because it only runs an hour if I forget to lock out the buttons and it gets bumped on in my bag ,the little speaker works well although it's size lets it get over run by any background noise, it sounds good and I was amazed that a 1"speaker could make that much sound
Now for the downers ,,, the offset earbuds: sounded good but I tye a knot in my cords so that the earpieces stay together then just ware one side so I can still hear whats going on around me, silly cords wouldent lay right,also the buttons are defenitly layed out for a right hander ,I'm a lefty so my thumb covers the readout when im serfing,,, now the only real complaint ,, the memery only changes foward, it can auto scan in reverse but there is no bouncing back and forth, to go back you have to set it to autoscan,then reverse the direction, then stop it when your selection comes around ,,,its quicker to just use the tuner ,I was realy bummed over that because that was why I wanted a digital
All in all I give it 4 stars,, its a realy nice little radio , sounds great,recieves everything,eats like a bird , and dont weigh much,,this is the most cash ive ever droped on a radio and after two months it still seems like it is worth it ,,,,, now if I could just get them to ask me about the buttons ,,,,,,,,,:),,,,<:3O~~~

2.0 out of 5 stars A Great Pocket Radio but Very Frail, April 4, 2006
The DT200V is fantastic...BUT, the two AA batteries are heavy and the battery holder is weak. If you drop this radio on a hard surface the holder will break and then you can kiss your radio good bye. I've purchased several of these radios and all suffered the same end.

Get the DT-300VW instead. It uses two, lightweight AAA batteries and is tougher. I'm going to buy another. My previous one finally suffered a weak key and spontaneous autoscan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sangean 200V and 210V , the best "walkmen" ever made, by anybody, ever, October 2, 2006
Ieir units will continue to be available for me. (2) to address some comm am posting this on both the DT-200V and 210V sites, as it relates to both. I am writing for several reasons. (1) Sangean makes the best "walkman" ever made by any company ever, and I want to help make sure thents made by other reviewers. (3) to comment on 200 vs. 210 features. (4) Please note that I commute primarily by bicycle, sometimes motorcycle, so my needs are not those of most. And even though I protect itas much as possible, in a pouch on a fanny-pack belt (except when I'm at work or in the steam room), it nevertheless is probably exposed to environmental extremes more than most (like steam heat and salt air).

(1) I first bought the 200V years ago (8 or 10, I think), when it was the first to have AM/FM/TV audio, and I found it to be one of those rare examples where so much attention is paid to detail, but in design and manufacturing, that the product actually does MORE than you expected (more below) (2) Others have discussed AM reception, but my bigger concern is FM reception. I found that I can be in my gym n Santa Monica, surrounded by all the electronics, dial in a weak FM NPR station in Pasadena, and bring it in loud and clear in stereo, no problem; with the other Brands, either I'd have to switch to Mono, or the station wouldn't come in at all; ditto for other areas where good reception is difficult. I've been spoiled. (3) One reviewer said Sangean was the only one who made this type. Actually, in the first couple of years I tried other brands,including Sony, Aiwa, Radio Shack (et al.), and not one came even close to Sangean in quality (reception, sound qualilty, ease of use), notwithstanding their names (4) Another reviewer complained that his "died" after "only" 2 1/2 years. Mine also had to be replaced every 2 1/2 to 3 years. Given the abuse I put it through, I think that's great. Moreover, Sangean has this incredible "out of warranty" replacement program. Basically, every few years,I have replaced the one I bought retail with a brand new one, for a fraction of the price. (5) I discovered, through playing around with it, pluses that Sangean never even mentioned. One example (there are several): All other units, when setting the pre-sets, no matter how many you have already set, when you do the next one, the counter starts at 1, so you have to hit the button twice, then three times, then four, and so on, and repeat to the last preset, and then again for each band. Sangean is smart enough to know you already set #5 (for example) and doesn't make you start over. One more example(and them I'll let you discover for yourself). Re the 4 front buttons on the 200V that I use most, each is contoured, with a raised edge on a different side, making it extraordinarily easy to feel which button I'm touching, with no need to take the unit out and look at it. Try that with any other brand. (6) Finally, as to the 200V vs. the 210v, I finally lost my 200V while bike riding (my pouch wasn't securely closed), went to the website, found out about the 210V, which seemed like an upgrade and ordered it, only to exchange it. Overall it is improved, but not for me. While the 210V has 30 presets, vs. 19 for the 200V, the 30 are divided up, 10 per band, and to change bands you have to hit a separate button. On the 200, I have the 19 set up with the first 7 on TV, then most on FM, then a few on AM, so if I need to change from 107.5 FM to TV Channel 4 because it's time for Law and Order, I can easily do so, without lookingwhile riding,, just by reaching down, Unlocking, &hitting Memory a few times, cycling from one station to the one I want, regardless of band all in literally 1-2 seconds. The only negative for me is the 1-hr. automatic shutoff on the 200V; on the 210, you can disable it. I like that, but nothing's perfect. I do not own stock in Sangean, but I cannot stop singing their praises. I personally prefer the 200 over the 210, but either one is superior to any supposedly-comparable "walkman" made by anyone else. Buy one (or two), and then tell your friends.

ARRAY(0xa62e4648)