1,004 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar AM/FM Reception at Attractive Price Point
Published on August 28, 2007 by M. JEFFREY MCMAHON

1.0 out of 5 stars A different story....
Published on July 22, 2008 by Ethan

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar AM/FM Reception at Attractive Price Point, August 28, 2007
Half the price of my Tivoli Songbook, the PR-D5 has superior AM/FM reception, dual stereo speakers, and easy-to-use ergonomics, making it even better than the Sangean single-speaker Sonido. As a bedside radio, it has even better FM reception than my Sangean WR-2 but it lacks the WR-2's depth and heaviness, qualities I like in a bedside radio. For a lighter, portable radio with no remote, go for the PR-D5. If you want more luxury in your radio (remote, numerical volume indicator, heavier feel) and don't mind a slight compromise in FM reception, you might want to check out the Sangean WR-2, which is compatible with an upgraded FM antenna attachment.

One question many will have is why the PR-D5 goes for about 15 dollars less than the Sonido. The answer most likely is that the 2.5-inch stereo speakers on the PR-D5 don't have the richness nor the depth of the Sonido's 3-inch monoaural speaker.

Update: Ironically, I don't like listening to talk radio on dual speakers. This is not a technological issue, but psychological. The voices don't seem as focused as they do on the Sangean WR-2's monoaural speaker. So if you're a heavy AM talk radio listener, you might want to opt for the WR-2.

Second Update: To really test the FM on the PR-D5, I tried to pull in the weak college station 88.9. The PR-D5 pulled in the station with clarity, even better than my Eton S350. The verdict: My PR-D5 is my best performing AM/FM radio, even better than the Eton/Grundig S350. That says quite a lot. Even more astounding, the PR-D5 is 15 dollars cheaper.

Third Update: I brought my PR-D5 to my work office and like all the digital radios I've tried it suffered compromised reception. I succeeded more with my Tivoli Model Three (same as the Model One with the additional clock). So for your office, if it's full of computer interference, you might want to go with an upscale analog radio like the aforementioned Tivoli Model One or Three.

Fourth Update:

Power supply stopped working and Sangean replaced my entire radio two or three years ago. Since that time, my speakers have gradually suffered distortion to the point that I no longer use my PR-D5. Mind you, this distortion took place with normal use.

These speakers were a bit muffled to begin with, as most people agree is a problem with the PR-D5. But distortion made this unusable.

I now recommend a more superior Sangean, the CL-100: Better FM, better crisp speaker sound. And it's cheaper than the PR-D5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky Design, Outstanding Reception, Breakthough Price, September 17, 2007
Mike Walsh (Voorheesville, NY) - See all my reviews
The PR-D5 upgrades Sangean's well-reviewed Sonido radio with a second speaker, the 200mm internal AM antenna from their CCRadio, a well designed side-mounted tuning knob, and a few other touches.

The iPod-generation look of the new radio doesn't appeal to me, but that's a matter of taste, so you can judge that one for yourself. The pushbuttons unfortunately seem to be the same pressure-sensitive foil type used on the Sonido and CCradio, which tend to stand up poorly to prolonged use, but at least the addition of the new tuning knob means you'll use the pushbuttons less, so perhaps that's not a major issue.

I find the dual speakers odd, but the audio is loud and clear, especially in FM stereo mode. Mono FM mode really cleans up the weaker signals. I have not found the dual speakers to be a problem on AM voice, as Jeff McMahon writes. The AUX input is a nice feature given how many MP3 players and other such gadgets people use now. The backlight goes on for a few seconds if you touch any non-analog control - very practical. There's no real handle, just a slender ridge along the top back of the radio for your fingertips to precariously claw at, so don't try picking this thing up with wet hands.

What really distinguishes this unit, however, is it's performance as a receiver. This degree of FM sensitivity and selectivity would be outstanding on any portable, but at this price I suspect it may be a first. Really strong AM receivers are rarer still, despite all the hype that gets thrown around, but the PR-D5 is up there with the best of them. When I ordered it I hoped that it might at best match my aging CCRadio on AM reception, and have indeed found them too close to call - with the newer radio at half the price of the older.

I am giving the PR-D5 fours stars because I find the design quirky, and am concerned mostly with AM voice programming. If you are primarily interested in FM stereo, this design makes more sense. On a strictly value-for-dollar basis, it's a strong five stars either way.

Hope that helps you decide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good FM-AM-AUX Stereo Radio, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Sangean PR-D5 AM/FM Portable Radio with Digital Tuning and RDS (Electronics)
I bought this radio because
1. This is from Sangean
2. Digital Tuning with frequency display
3. Stereo Speakers
4. RDS Info Display
5. Can be used as a mobile phone/laptop speakers
6. Looks sophisticated and modern
7. Alarm
8. Black version available against the white one

The overall built quality is excellent and has a metal body. You can feel
the richness. It has an ergonomic tuning and volume knob both has a soft
rubber feel. Nice to hold. The tuning jogs up/down .1MHz steps and can feel
the click. Interesting feature is the frequency scan. You can push the
tuning knob and it lands to the next audible station! This makes the frequency
exactly to the .1MHz frequency. Then you can easily long press the memory button
and store the station into the memory! Cool.

One of the greatest features of this radio I liked is its Aux connection. ie. you can
connect your mobile phone/mp3 player and Laptop using a 3.5mm male to male connector
(need to buy separately). I bought an 8ft cord.
I ordered it when I ordered the radio.

It plays the MP3 songs from my mobile phone nicely. Another interesting thing I do is
I put Internet radio on my Android phone and play it through the Aux speakers.
This opens a huge world of Internet radio!

The biggest drawback I would like to notify the Sangean company is that the Bass tone
is hardwired into the circuitry. There is no Bass/Tone knob. At least the Sangean
company can hard wire a bass+treble audio so that it's neither bassy nor trebly :)

My Suggestions for Improvement to Sangean. (Hope they read these feedbacks)
1. Add a Bass/Tone knob.
2. Toggle switch to keep the display lights always on.
3. RDS to display below the frequency which is done nicely on Android phone FM
radio application. ie. RDS/frequency and time need to be displayed together.
Right now RDS info comes after seconds you tune the station.
4. Battery Re-charge feature.
5. Five more buttons to store the memory. ie. at least 10 FM stations are okay.
Five is very less these days.
6. The frequency scan by pushing the tuning knob is very hard. Make it soft.

To Summarize, this is a very good radio with just one drawback.
The audio is bassy. If you like bass audio, then its okay. It is good
for speech. It makes the speech soft. For music, it requires treble response, so that
the instruments will be more clear. The stereo capability is not
easily noticeable on speakers.

Compared to other FM radios in this price range, this is the best available in the
market today.

I think the black version is new. Black is beautiful and looks sophisticated. My laptop
and mobile phone are all black. White looks odd, and everyone notice it.
Black is cool and you can take it anywhere.

I give only 4 stars because of the bassy audio quality and make Sangean to
add a bass/treble knob. Once this is done, I am sure, this radio will be
the best in the world in this price range.

Hope you find this review useful.

Update:
The memory is not stored permanently. When the unit is switched off today and then switched on tomorrow, all the memories goes EMPTY.
This is very disappointing. Not sure, whether this is a defect. If you know about this, do let me know.

4.0 out of 5 stars The PR-D5, an excellent portable radio., August 25, 2007
W. A. Hill "Tek Geek" (Finger Lakes area of NY) - See all my reviews
As it is with many products these days, a bit more time taken in design and more attention to detail in the execution would have made this a 5-star product. First, just how portable is a unit this large (and heavy, with the 6 C batteries installed) without a shoulder strap? They do give you a grip rail on the back so you won't drop it carrying it from room to room, but it's not satisfactory for say, a camping or hiking trip. And speaking of batteries, Sangean did not put a foam pad on the inside of the battery hatch lid to help prevent the batteries from shifting around. That lack is not hard to rectify, but it did detract from my score for this unit. This just in: I wondered if there was any protection for the memory, etc. when it is time to change the batteries, so today (8/26/07) I ran some tests to find out. I pulled a battery for various periods up to one minute - the presets and other memories remained intact and the clock held too. A REAL MANUAL would tell you exactly how much time you have to putz around and get the new batteries in. It would also tell you that you MUST install batteries for the memories to be maintained for lengthy periods.
. As with the RCR-22 which I also reviewed today, the "manual" leaves much to be desired. For the units shipped to North America, Sangean could leave out all the languages except for English, Spanish and French, and use the freed-up pages for more thorough information. Simple things for the non-technical folks like whether you plug the AC adapter into the radio and then into the AC outlet or vice-versa would be useful (the first method is correct for nearly all AC adapters). And for the more technically literate buyer, what happens when you plug in the AC adapter? Does it disconnect the batteries entirely or just protect them with a diode? Apparently the batteries are protected by a diode as nothing happens (the radio keeps on playing and the clock tells the time) when you plug the AC adapter into the radio while the adapter is not plugged into an AC outlet. At least make complete info available from the web site, but noooo... My first Sangean, the ATS-803, AM/FM/Shortwave receiver came with a REAL MANUAL, but then it cost more than twice as much too. Unfortunately some sleazy barstid [sic] stole it from me.
. The controls are very easy to use and the reception is excellent (as noted by Universal Radio on their web site). As with many other Sangean models, the AM tuner and antenna system is not simply an afterthought. The speakers give a very good sound for their size and there is a headphone jack for those who want even better sound quality. I tried a pair of self-powered speakers (such as used with computers, etc.) with it to great effect. As Letterman is fond of saying: You can "blow the roof off the joint!"
. I listen to AM radio a lot, so I've looked more closely at that aspect of the PR-D5. This past evening I listened to WSB in Atlanta very clearly (I'm in a deep valley in the Finger Lakes of NY). I recall picking up Charlotte, N.C. and New Orleans too. The length of this unit (10-3/4") means you will need a good sized, free area on your night stand or table to rotate it for best reception and perhaps a way to elevate it too. Though a couple of my nearby AM stations are working on their transmitters/towers, I am still able to receive them at their current low power outputs.
. The other functions of clock, alarm, timers, etc. work as described, and since this unit lacks a direct-entry number pad, the presets are a necessity. I set them to my regulars and fortunately their frequencies are scattered pretty well across the band (from 570 to 1390) so they can serve as starting points for tuning other frequencies. I'd prefer that the available 10 presets could be used for either AM or FM band stations, but the five I have for AM are just adequate for my needs.
. A thorough manual would have gotten the PR-D5 a 9 point or 4.5 star rating from me. One can't ask for more pure radio performance from a unit in this price range. I don't think that anyone would be really disappointed with this radio. .bh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Radio and Value, December 28, 2007
D. Kennedy (Falls Church, VA) - See all my reviews
I fully agree with nearly all the comments offered on this radio, having received one as an (expected) gift at Christmas. First a couple of neutral or negative comments. The radio is just like the picture shows it - not everyone's idea of a 'portable radio' a la the (worn out but more conventionally packaged) Grundig Yachtboy 400 that this radio replaced. But as indicated below I think the positives way outweigh any negatives and in person I find it a very nice package. Also the user's manual leaves something to be desired. Without going into details about all such minutia, the way that the clock can be set while the radio is on requires you enter the clock set mode first (not explained in manual) and the capturing of the correct time from the RDS signal took some experimenting to get to work correctly (can't absolutely state this with assurance but some RDS signals don't seem to have the clock setting signal and I have one station that seems to set the internal radio clock inaccurately - but I have located one local RDS station that reliably can set the clock). Now for the positives. The sound is excellent for a radio this size. The speakers, though small, seem to be of excellent quality and can, if required, fill a large room with pleasant sound. At close range (say 2 feet away) the stereo effect on FM is very natural and pleasant. On the AM side, I find the selectivity and particularly sensitivity to be the best of any small radio I've ever seen. Last night (from Falls Church, VA) I received KOA in Denver, the first time in a long time that I have been able to pull it from the loads of co-channel interference. All the original clear channels (WSM,WMAQ,WLW,WOR,WGN,Canada,WJR,WABC,WBBM,WGY,WCCO,WHAS,and on up the dial) were received in excellent fashion, some of the nearer ones sounding like locals. I will use this radio mostly while travelling and am looking to a long and pleasant assoication.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Radio I've Owned, November 25, 2007
This is amazing. At night I can get AM radio stations that I never knew existed. It has great features as well, like the "humane alarm" (it's wonderful), station seek, AUX input, and others. Oh, and the FM sounds better than one might expect due to the twin speakers. It's a really good looking radio too. I know it's geeky, but I use this to pick up very distant AM talk shows at night; it does that very, very well.

I use this every night and I am SO very please I choose this model. I honestly give this radio five stars! I am VERY pleased with this. Actually, it's one of my favorite possessions.....

It's also fair to note that I've never owned the CC Radio or the Superradio. I hope this helps and I wish you fun with whichever you purchase.

-------------------

EDIT: It's now September 2011 and this radio is still performing wonderfully! Honestly, one my my favorite things I own. It's had daily use and moved around a lot; it even was my only source of news/weather during Hurricane Ike for 10 days (no AC power). This has been a wonderful radio and I'm more pleased everyday that I own it.

1.0 out of 5 stars A different story...., July 22, 2008
I purchased this radio on Amazon and received it today. I am sorely disappointed. Many of the reviews I read online noted the radio's great AM/FM reception quality, which is the main reason I sprung for this model. However, to my surprise, even in the broadcast-rich region I live in, I received only 5 FM stations clearly. For fun I even checked a map to see where they came from, and they're all within 10-15 miles of my home. I cannot receive the NPR news station that has a transmitter 6 miles away. By comparison, I receive about 20 FM stations very very clearly on my car radio even when it's parked right outside my house where I've been trying the Sangean. To add insult to injury, the little radio that came inside of my Microsoft Zune MP3 player gets the same stations as the Sangean clearly, and without any antenna! Perhaps mine is faulty, but either way it's getting returned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a Very Good Portable Radio, January 24, 2010
RadioMark "RadioMark" (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
It's been two months since this little radio arrived at my doorstep from Amazon. Here are my opinions about this radio:

RECEPTON
I purchased this radio with hope for above-average FM reception, and I was NOT disappointed :) This radio is capable of receiving low power FM stations without much effort. No more antenna acrobatics for me. I can receive a local non-profit FM swing jazz station clearly and without too much special antenna positioning. Just extend the antenna, turn on the radio, and....that's it :) This low power FM station radiates only 100 Watts and most of my radios have problems receiving it clearly, but this Sangean unit pulls it in as if it were a large commercial FM station. No hiss at all in Stereo mode. RDS is an added bonus :)
AM reception is also outstanding. Being in San Francisco Bay Area I can listen to news from LA on KNX and traffic reports from Vegas. Going through the AM band at night with this radio is so much fun. I am impressed with sensitivity and selectivity of the AM tuner in this little radio. Outstanding.
SOUND
Many (most?) portable radios on the market today sound like cheap answering machines. No clear trebles, no trace of bass, just a blast of mid-range, which may cause listener fatigue after a while. Designers sacrifice sound quality for better battery life. Fortunately, Sangean engineers decided to use speakers with long membrane travel for better low frequency response. These speakers consume more current, but they also sound much better. For a portable radio of this size, this Sangean sounds very good. It sounds "larger" than it is. On FM, treble and bass are well balanced, and there is NO emphasis on the mid-range found in most small portables these days. Sound quality on AM band is also good. I wish it were a little warmer on AM but it's fine. With 0.8 Watts per channel this radio can fill the room with talk or music, and it can do it without strain. Music on FM sounds surprisingly good on this small radio.
QUALITY
Two thumbs up. This radio is built well and solid. With batteries installed it is relatively heavy for such small unit, but in this case heavy is good. If you don't want to use batteries you can use the enclosed AC adapter. Controls and buttons provide good feedback, and FM antenna hides away without effort.
I am an avid radio enthusiast and I can tell you that it is a pleasure to hold this Sangean radio in your hands and to use it. In my opnion it's an all around fine AM(DX)/FM portable receiver.

I have not used the alarm clock or battery recharge features of the radio so I cannot comment on them, but based just on reception performance and sound quality I would recommend this radio to anyone :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Punches Above Its Weight, March 29, 2011
Sailcat (Sierra Foothills, CA) - See all my reviews
Let me say up front that I ordered the Sangean PR-D5 AM/FM radio with the expectation that it would provide excellent (not just good) AM reception. I based my expectations on the overwhelmingly positive reviews it has garnered on many internet sites. Since I live in a rural area, radio reception is an iffy proposition sometimes, particularly for AM stations. I was, therefore, eager to see if this radio lived up to its reputation and I am gratified to report I was not disappointed. Thanks to its benchmark 200mm ferrite antenna, the PR-D5 brings in distant AM stations with ease...including the station that broadcasts my favorite baseball team's games. I have detected no drift and that means once I have tuned in a station it remains locked in for as long as I choose to listen to it. Selectivity has proved to be very good, too, and it is capable of picking out faint stations without the interference of other nearby signals. FM reception is outstanding, as well, and all of the stations to which I enjoy listening come in clearly. Compared to my Sony ICF-SW7600GR, the Sangean has very nearly the FM sensitivity as the Sony and significantly better AM reception, which is high praise, indeed. The controls are blessedly simple and easy to operate, a distinct advantage, in my opinion. The display is large, easy to read, and thankfully clear of much of the unnecessary clutter that afflicts many radios these days. Sound quality is remarkably good for a radio this small, making the listening experience a happy one. Construction quality is quite respectable: there are no loose pieces, no mysterious rattles, and no hiccups in its operation to annoy me: Sangean's QC department was on its toes when they produced this radio!

To sum up my opinions of the Sangean PR-D5 radio, it provides exactly the performance you would want from a small portable radio, with no bad habits, and at a very fair price. I recommend it very highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous AM Reception, Respectable FM Sound, April 18, 2010
This is a great radio for AM reception, with a powerful, thick, long antenna. The great AM reception is THE reason you buy this particular radio. That is its biggest selling point by far. I live 90 minutes north of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, but at night, when radio stations are allowed by FCC regulations to increase their power, I can pick stations up as far away as Atlanta, New Orleans, New York City, Boston, Cleveland, etc. WBBM 780 Chicago comes in crystal clear.

A word of caution: To get the best reception of these farther away stations, you need to have the radio in a room where you don't have other electronic devices. For example, my living room has a 42 inch TV and a 2.4 Ghz wireless phone. So my radio gets lots of static in that room.

The kitchen is better, but not the best because of the microwave, which runs on the same frequency and causes interference even when you are not using it, though the interference is much worse when it is in use. You also don't want to run the radio near your wireless router.

The best places would be a room with no wireless interference (preferable a 2nd floor room), or outside.

This radio also has a digital clock with an alarm and is advertised as portable. But it does not have a handle, and is a bit heavier than I would want a portable radio to be.

The FM reception is great. The sound quality of the FM is not as good as a car stereo or a 20 plus watt boombox, and you certainly wouldn't want it to replace a stereo system. But the FM sound quality is way better than the average transistor radio.

You also want to keep in mind that if you live in the northern part of the country as I do, you may need to point the front of the radio to the southwest or south east to get the best reception of those further away stations. It's par for the course that you will sometimes have to do a rain dance with your radio until you have it positioned to get the clearest signal.

But I am glad I own this radio and it is worth the bucks.