4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent WiFi Radio
Published on November 13, 2008 by tk_seggel

3.0 out of 5 stars Sangean WFR-1 Internet Radio
Published on December 26, 2008 by Christopher A. Squier

3.0 out of 5 stars Sangean WFR-1 Internet Radio, December 26, 2008
This review is from: Sangean WFR-1 Table-Top WiFi Internet Radio with FM-RDS (Dark Brown) (Electronics)
An internet radio opens up an almost overwhelming number of broadcast streams and for someone like me, who enjoys classical music, there is a wonderful choice of commercial free stations worldwide. I own (or have owned) a number of internet radios;a Slim Devices Squeezebox(!), a Roku Soundbridge R1000, a Revo Pico portable, a Receiva AE and a Sangean WFR-20, but the new Sangean WFR-20 is almost the best of the bunch (I will explain why it is not unequivocally the best in a minute!).
The Sangean WFR-1 is beautifully finished with a polished wooden case, an array of controls on the front panel, including on/off, volume and equalizer (tone control). They are not particularly intuitive but better than the single knob on the WFR-20. There is also a substantial and full function remote control, resembling that of the Roku, rather than the credit-card sized devices that come with Pico and the WFR-20. The amber display is larger than those found on any other set but the Roku (more about this later).
Set-up was very easy (I use an ethernet wired connection to my router but it works with my wi-fi network) and it was playing within a few minutes of unpacking. There is also an FM tuner with a separate antenna. Sound is excellent and far superior to any of the other sets I have owned except Roku, which is almost as good. For this unit, Sangean has gone to Frontier Silicon rather than to Receiva for their streams. Nevertheless, there is an abundance of stations, including Real format so I can get all the BBC channels (a big negative with Roku). There is little delay in receiving streams after switching on and Frontier has a good website where you can set up favorites and add new stations. Playing stored music from my computer via Windows Media Player has been easy and more consistent than with the WFR-20 or AE.
Now for the downside. Despite a larger display that claims to offer four lines of text, there is no control for format (as Roku provides) or for brightness (which the WFR-20 offers). Most frustrating is that Frontier do not stream program information with the station! There is plenty of room for this on the display and such information on content is invaluable because some stations do not provide this audibly; the WFR-20 does this well because it uses the Receiva streams but it would require reprogramming of software by Frontier to have this on the WFR-1. Frontier tell me it is being discussed but they have no plans for implementation! Surprisingly, Sangean, although the 800lb gorilla here, do not seem inclined to pressure Frontier. I have had several conversations with the amiable Selwyn, whom you reach quite easily when you call up technical support at Sangean, and he agrees totally with me and suggests that I contact Frontier (which I did) or write a review to make this point - which I am doing!
So in summary, this is an excellent product with great acoustic performance but marred by small, but irritating, shortcomings in the display. As a result, I gave it 3 stars rather than 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent WiFi Radio, November 13, 2008
I primarily chose this radio over others (including the Logitech Squeezebox) because of its good looks. But it's a very good radio as well. The menu structure is logical, the display is easy to read, there is a cool web interface to easily surf all stations and add them to your favorites. Truly amazing stuff! The sounds is good, though don't expect miracles. It can be a bit boomy at times, but otherwise sounds quite good.

A quick tip: I had the same problem with the WEP setup, it only allows 64-bit WEB encoding (10 characters). However, you simply download the latest firmware (Sangean posted a new version on Nov. 5, 2008) which supports 128 bit encryption! Set your router to 64-bit (for now), connect the radio, then download the update directly over the internet (Under setup menu -> Upgrade). It will download the latest firmware and install it in a minute or so. After that you can set your router back to 128-bit encryption and reconnect the radio, this time you can enter a full 128-bit HEX code! The backlight is still on after you turn the radio off, but it's dimmed. I have this in my office, not the bedroom, but I wouldn't expect this to be a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly amazing wi-fi radio - highly recommended!, September 27, 2008
I've watched this advertized on Sangean's site for a year, impatiently waiting, and finally got it yesteday. Its beautiful in every way. Installed easily, menu to navigate the 16,000 internet radio stations well done, web creation of playlists you can access directly from the radio or your own content on Windows Medida player 11 quite easy. The audio is very good (If the Bose CD desktop is an A, this is a B+ after getting the EQ right.) Most channels CD quality sound. I'm quite ecstatic having this and very highly recommend it.

A few little tips: when putting in your router password, there is a lower case alphabet later in the selection to use, and the remote didn't work great til I put a little paper between the batteries to line them up better, now its flawless. Don't let this lead you to believe this cheaply made, this is a very nicely built, attractive device.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good internet radio, inadequate alarm options, October 23, 2008
Michael (LOS ANGELES, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
I wanted an internet/FM clock radio and this one got some good reviews.

Pros: Great retro look, just like the AM radios of my childhood. Beautifully finished real wood case, a single big knob, and a yellow glowing display. The sound is quite good for a tabletop--maybe a bit boomy but that should be fixable by the eq function. The FM reception is helped by a real car-radio-style antenna. The good news is that my favorite weak stations are streamed online so the FM reception is not really much of a factor. The menu structure is logical and easy to use, giving access to FM, internet radio, podcasts, and your local shared music library. I haven't yet figured out if you can plug in your iPod, but there is a USB port that must be good for something. The wifi worked well with my AirPort (but see cons). The variety of internet stations available is overwhelming; you could waste a lot of time channel surfing. Finally, because Fort Collins CO is my home town I'm a big fan of atomic clocks. This radio doesn't have that feature, but it does have an option to sync time over the internet, which is great.

Cons: For me the biggest disappointment is the alarm clock. You have to navigate through the menus to change settings. This is worse than it sounds because although there are two alarms, there's no way I could find to have, say, one alarm for weekdays and another for weekends. If, like me, you keep flexible hours, this could be very annoying. Surely there's enough processor power and memory in this product to implement different alarms for every day of the week. Too bad it isn't open source. Also, the price paid for good looks is that the control buttons are indistinct and their labels virtually unreadable. Once you play with it a bit you can learn the keys, but I'd suggest you not toss the manual. Others have complained of the light, which cannot be turned off. I'm a good sleeper and do not expect it to be a problem for me. A minor annoyance was that the wifi setup seems to have a limit of 10 characters for a WEP password. So I had to reconfigure my AirPort before I could connect wirelessly. And, as another reviewer noted, remember that passwords are case sensitive.

Summary: This is an excellent, good-looking FM/wifi/internet radio, but with barely adequate alarm options.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top radio runs smoothly after upgrade - but has one SERIOUS issue..., December 15, 2008
Retreat of Reason (Bruxelles, Belgium) - See all my reviews
(After update the rate should read 3 instead of 5 !)

Just got this radio - and it runs great (wireless internet & FM - haven't been able to establish the media player connection so far, though this is most certainly an issue linked to the router). The sound is amazing, once you toggled around a bit to find the right equaliser settings.

Do keep in mind however that, more likely than not, you will have to upgrade the WFR1 first before being able to establish an internet connection through your router. The upgrading seems to be a bit of an issue, so I thought it might be useful to write a little resume;

So, how do you listen to the WFR1 with a WEP protected router?

First, download the installer from the Sangean website ([...])
The logical way to go from here is upgrading through your computer (USB cable connection).

However, do NOT follow ALL of Sangean's on-line instructions.

Here is how it works;

1. "Download the Installer" -> OK
2. "Remove AC" -> OK
3. "Press and hold the "forward" and "back" buttons on the radio while plugging in the ac cord." -> OK
4. "Release buttons after display shows "USB Upgrade"" -> OK
(5. "Connect USB cable between radio and PC") -> NO! DO NOT CONNECT YET!
6. "Run correct executable file depending on model" -> UNZIP & RUN the installer on your PC
7. "Follow Upgrade Wizard to completion". -> at one point the program will ask you to connect the USB cable & give you information on what to do on the radio menu. ONLY CONNECT THE USB CABLE (you already set up your radio in step 3 & 4). After this, the program runs the upgrade.

Your radio will now accept the WEP code.

(For those who run a DHCP server on their router, don't forget to check/update the DCHP reservations list, otherwise your newly connected dynamic DHCP client might expire after a certain number of hours!)

Hope this will be of some help!

UPDATE : (or; "how to ridiculously loose 2 stars")

Contrary to the WFR-20, this radio (well, Frontier actually) does NOT give you any information on the artist, songs, etc! This means I have to continue using the (free) software on my computer to get any information - in which case I could as well have linked the computer to my amplifier... Quite unacceptable, and even more so since the WFR-20 (Reciva powered) works fine in this field...

My advice: stick to a Reciva powered radio for the time being !!

UPDATE 2 :

My radio started acting funny, lost interest in it's remote, and finally gave up all together after 20 months of use. Standard warranty is 24 months in Belgium so I was fine, but I'm not all that impressed with the rather short life span of this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sangean WFR-1 - BEST Internet Radio, February 23, 2011
KS4RT (Chattanooga) - See all my reviews
I ordered this radio based on favorable reviews of others on Amazon and other internet sites. I and everyone who has listened to the WFR-1 have been amazed at the sound quality, especially on the hundreds of HD or High Definition radio stations.

It was a breeze to connect wirelessly to the internet. Just click your networks name then provide the key.

**** LOCAL STATIONS is a MENU Folder I find very neat. The radio knows your locality. Depending on where you live it could give you a dozen or so choices inside the LOCAL STATIONS folder without you having to set them up on the internet. So after being connected to the internet a short while, you have many of your favorite local stations available to select!

**** MY ADDED STATIONS Folder is the feature I think is most useful by far.
It would be impossible to know and keep current all the tens of thousands of radio stations around the world who stream their broadcasts live. So if you find a station streaming not on the list, you may add the station yourself.

I agree with other reviewers about the lack of ability to list song titles and artist on the display, but these are available on RDS FM stations. I did not feel this one flaw warranted grading it less than a 5!

5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of beauty, August 9, 2010
This WiFi radio is beautifully made and has superb sound quality. The polished wood cabinet is very well finished and pleasingly low-key. I did not experience any problems with connectivity. The FM reception is quite remarkable: this is hardly surprising, since Sangean have been making excellent radios for some time. This radio is infinitely better in every way than the WFR-20, which has smaller speakers, no FM reception, no USB connection and a less appealing appearance (unless you like black plastic grilles). The WFR-1 is well worth the few extra dollars if you enjoy classical music at a reasonable volume. After all, life is too short to save a little money and listen to poor quality sound. My youngest son and his family started me on internet streaming radio when they gave me a Sanyo R227, which is quite excellent if run through my computer into my Bose speakers. However, the WFR-1 has sufficient volume, trebel, base and stero presence to fill the bedroom with rich sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful & functional, my favorite radio ever!, June 24, 2012
I have been a radio lover since I was less than 10 years old. This radio reminds me of a classic wooden tube radio in its appearance, with a gorgeous cherrywood cabinet. The subdued but very visible display and colors and lights are reminiscent of the Golden Age of Radio, however don't let the appearance fool you, this is a state-of-the-art Internet Hi-Fi radio which also receives local FM broadcasts. I feel many reviewers are missing a very important feature of the FM part of this radio: many complain that you can only tune in small segments manually between FM stations, however this radio features a very easy SCAN from station to station on FM, you simply push the select button (big button on the radio, center arrow button on the remote) and the radio will scan to the next FM station instantly. You can also go into the settings menu and choose for the scan to include strong stations only or all stations. I did not notice this feature at first, and I thought it was annoying to have to manually tune slowly through the stations, but once I discovered it I realized this is just fine. In areas with many adjacent FM stations the manual tuning option may actually be a plus on this radio depending on how it performs in that aspect. I feel with this FM feature (which was not mentioned in the other reviews citing FM tuning as a weakness of this radio) makes up for the shortcoming of the manual tuning. My recommendation: simply use the scan mode between stations, and do your FM presets. Also, what makes this a great radio is its excellent Internet Radio performance, FM really is an added bonus or feature. Overall, a big 5 stars plus from me, I LOVE THIS RADIO!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect Radio, December 15, 2010
Richard Wainthropp (VENICE, CALIFORNIA, US) - See all my reviews
For months and months I had been following the prices of Tivoli radios on Amazon, and then I was waiting for the new
Tivoli Model Ten radio to be available. Tivoli may be a great product, but the prices appeared to be a bit out-of-line and the introduction
of this new Tivoli product was repeatedly postponed, apparently by Tivoli itself. Growing restless, I started checking other manufacturers on Amazon, and that is how I discovered Sangean--by accident--and I am so glad I did!

In person, this Sangean WFR-1 WIFI Internet radio is much more impressive than in the stock photo on Amazon. The cabinet is fashioned from fine quality wood and finished with a fine furniture finish. The over-all appearance of the radio is sophisticated and subtle, and blends in the surrounding decor without screaming for attention. Keeping in mind the limitations of this size radio, the sound is remarkable. I use the radio for all its functions plus I use it as the speaker system for my computer.

The only negative is the difficulty in the initial programming the radio to connect with the internet radio channels. In fact, after many hours of trying to do it myself, I finally connected to the internet with the telephone assistance of a Sangean technician. The manual that comes with the radio is a nicely printed, fat manual, but the contents fall far short of being completely instructive. If you can overcome the frustration of a manual that is very poorly written, once this radio is doing its thing, you will love the radio! I am very pleased that I stumbled upon this radio on Amazon and chose it.
I whole-heartedly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Network Audio Device, November 26, 2010
I purchased this device to replace my Sony clock radio. After about a 15 minute setup, I had this unit installed and operational. I quickly went through the menu options to see what the unit offered. It has dual alarms that can be set to buzzer, airwave radio, Internet radio or "Last listened". You can configure this unit to set the time and date automatically from the network. This is probably handy for power outages.

I have a QNAP NAS that includes TwonkyMedia Server. My FIOS router has wireless connectivity, and the Sangean WFR-1 connected to my wireless network with no hassle able to steam media wirelessly from my NAS. It would be very nice if I could set the alarm to wake me to audio served from my NAS, but I do not see remote media as an alarm option. The "Last listened" option may do the trick, but I need to experiment with this.

This radio has both a WIFI and an FM radio antenna, which is good for receiving a good signal. The Internet radio option is very nice, because there is a menu option to see all available local Internet radio stations. So, if you get poor FM reception for a particular local station, chances are that they stream an Internet broadcast that you may not even be aware of. All local stations that stream will be listed by name, so it's just a matter of switching over to Internet and finding your particular station. The Internet broadcast sounds fantastic. Many of my local radio stations broadcast in HD over the Internet.

I also like the way that I can quickly store presets via the remote for any type of station whether FM, AM, or Internet broadcast onto a preset button with the remote. I can then quickly change to my favorite station of choice with one key.

This unit is pricey, but I am 100% satisfied with my purchase. This is one of the best (if not the best) available right now.

ADDED: After several months of ownership and usage, I want to post a follow-up on my experiences with this unit. First, I will state that I am pleased to see that Sangean actively updates and improves this device. It will automatically update itself over the Internet.

Also, it currently is not possible to set the alarm to wake you to music streamed over your local network. Last listened does not work for this as I had wondered above.

Last, a nice feature of this device is that if you set the alarm to go off tuned to an Internet radio station and the connection fails, the alarm tone will sound instead.

Rate and Discover Movies