4.0 out of 5 stars Warm Speaker Sound and Great AM
Published on August 20, 2005 by M. JEFFREY MCMAHON

3.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and rich sound
Published on August 25, 2006 by Richard Singer

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm Speaker Sound and Great AM, August 20, 2005
This review is from: Sangean WR-2 Digital AM/FM Tabletop Radio, Black (Electronics)
This is a very appealing clock radio with digital readout that gives you name of song, artist, and other information as you listen. The mono aural speaker is warm and full. The radio is attractive, solid and well-built, evincing nothing cheap or plastic-laden. The AM is very good. Most FM stations come in strong. But hard-to-get FM stations like 89.3 from Pasadena (I live 40 miles away in Torrance) requires that I move the FM antenna, but this is not a big deal, just a nitpick.

Most listeners will love the WR-2. But if you're a radio buff like I am and enjoy the outstanding FM reception of the Grundig S350, the Kaito 1101 and 1103 models (called Degen in China), then I'm afraid the WR-2 will disappoint. To be fair to the WR-2, the more expensive Bose radio suffers the same problem of mediocre FM reception.

Another important point: Because this radio has a remote control, it works great in your computer office. You can keep the WR-2 six feet or so away from your computer and avoid interference as you toggle stations and volume with your remote.

Post Script: Make sure to turn on the external antenna switch in the back of the Sangean. It improves reception by tenfold.

Update: I bought a second WR-2 (in black) three years after the first and get excellent FM reception so apparently the radio has improved in newer models. New rating: 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and rich sound, August 25, 2006
I researched a lot of clock radios, including models from Tivoli, Boston Acoustic, Cambridge Soundworks, Bose, Proton/Sangean, and decided on this unit for the following reasons: stereo headphone jack; line in for MP3; front(vs. top-mounted) 3" speaker; programmable, digital tuning; digital clock. To my mind, it is oxymoronic to expect stereo speakers on a compact clock radio--the unit is on my night table and I am not sure how I can perceive stereo separation given that configuration; however, I do desire stereo headphone capability, which the unit delivers. When I lived in New Hampshire, I had very few stations to listen to, owing to poor reception, in spite of the external FM antenna. Now that I am in the metro Boston area, I do not find reception to be an issue. I have never been able to set my clock automatically with the RDS, but the other features, i.e. song title, artist, radio station work satisfactorily. I think the sound of the unit is superb, but it would be interesting to do a side by side aural compare with some of the above-mentioned units.

A couple of complaints:
1)Alarm set/disable is needlessly complicated. Yes, I know how to do it, but any system that requires you to consult the user's manual for a refresher on how to disable the alarm...well, all I can say is give me a toggle switch (virtual or otherwise).
2) The display defaults to the radio frequency. I think this is ill-considered: I rarely change stations, so I know what I'm listening to; on the other hand, I don't know what time it is until I toggle to time on the display. I don't get that.

The other day my wife and I were busy with a project in the bedroom--installing Container Store closet systems--and I played my Dell Jukebox MP3 player through the unit. I have to say, it really delivered; the sound quality was quite high.

All in all I am very pleased with this purchase and do believe it gives me all that I want--good sound, compact design, nice appearance--at a reasonable price.
Dick
Sharon, MA

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Performance, May 31, 2006
There is so much I could say about this radio, but in short it works perfectly as described by the manufacturer and even better. It was purchased as a replacement for an Under counter GE Radio/CD Player. I tried a couple of other radios ( Crosley, Emerson, Sony) None of them could fill the room like this one. However, the most impressive feature to me is that it could pick up all of my favorite stations without much effort. I unpacked the radio in my basement, where reception is terrible unless you use an external ( outdoor antenna), and this radio pulled in all of the stations.

The RDS function is great for seeing the titles of songs playing and Station IDs on some stations. I have yet to see a station actually broadcasting traffic reports in the Atlanta area, but it is nice to have the capability to see them if they do start broadcasting traffic data.

As for Sound Quality, it is great.. The Radio can be a little heavy on the bass, I had to turn it down a couple of notches in our kitchen. ( The radio sits in a corner,( which enhances bass)and I had to increase the treble, All of which you can do via the volume control on the radio or the remote control.

The radio has automatic time setting feature via the RDS system. It also features a power loss recovery system. Radio continues to function for about 6 minutes with no AC. THe Clock and memory settings are retained a little longer. The Radio is fairly simple,even though it has more buttons than a Tivoli, or Crosley, it is still easy to operate.

The table radio is a fast growing segment of electronics thanks to the IPOD. I have seen a few models come out that I might have considered had they been available, but I am very happy with the WR-2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fabulous! This radio rocks!, July 12, 2006
Over the past few months I have tried table radio's from Sony, Tivoli, Bose, Boston Acoustics and now this Sangean. Of those brands I purchased the Bose Wave Radio, Sony ICF-M1000 and the Tivoli Model Two. I returned the Tivoli because it would drift off station frequently no matter what station or type of antenna used. Of all the radio's that I have purchased I'm left with only two, the Sony and the Sangean. Between the Sangean and the Sony I prefer the Sangean.

The Sangean is manufactured to the highest quality standards using real hard wood for the cabinate. It's a beauty to look at and listen to. It has a high quality Hi-Fi sound along with a very clear and informative LCD display. This radio has the ability to display the station name, song name and traffic data via RDS (Radio Data System).

It also has a built in clock which automatically sets itself via RDS and has an alarm. Although this radio can be used as an alarm clock it wasn't designed specifically for that purpose. The Alarm is cumbersome to use and lacks many of the features found on the Sangean RCR-1 such as dual alarms with day-of-the week capability.

This radio comes with a full function credit card sized remote control which is a clear advantage over the Tivoli and Sony models. The sound is rich and full but not over bearing. It has a soft tone to it that you could listen to all day as soft background music while reading a good book.

My only wish for this radio would be the addition of a companion stereo speaker to compete with Tivoli. Other than that this radio is close to being perfect. I'm very pleased with this purchase. It puts the Tivoli to shame where reception is concerned and in my opinion the build quality is much higher than the Tivoli. For the money you will not find a better table radio.

Edit: Out of curiosity I wanted to see how the radio was built inside the case. It turns out that the case is actually made of a high density pressed wood with wood grain laminate. I'm a little dissapointed with this discovery but I'm still very pleased with the radio overall. Although the case is not "real" wood like the Tivoli it is still built to a higher standard than the Tivoli. The electronic components are assembled using Surface Mount Technology (SMT). Unlike the Tivoli it is very neat and organized inside with very few wires. By comparision, the Tivoli looks like an eighth grade science project inside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent FM reception, November 18, 2005
Matt (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
I got the WR-2 from Amazon a week ago. Since the previous reviewer stated the reception is mediocre on FM, I was really worried about the reception for my favorite station, 105.3 MHz, at my apartment. I have several high-end radios, SONY SW77, ICF-2010ĀCGrundig Sat 700 and Sat 800. Both SW77 and ICF-2010 receive the station with a high distortion using the built-in antenna. The reception of Sat 700 and 800 are better, but the signal is somehow unstable with the stereo and RDS (Sat 700) signals flashing. With the included external antenna, the WR-2 can deliver a clear, warm and full sound from this station with stable stereo and RDS signals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Tabletop radio clock w/ Input , High quality speaker., January 24, 2006
I bought my WR-2 radio this past Christmas time. I originally order a black casing WR-2 radio from a small online retailer, but that new black WR-2 has some type of internal computer problems, the radio freezed up and not responding (even I press any button).

Thankfully, Sangean company (in CA) took care of the problem over the phone, the Sangean warranty dept, Jim, took back the defective radio, and also give me a choice of different color of a new working WR-2. They also took care of the shipping cost, as I had the problem within days of receiving.

The black shiny wood finish (based on my comparison) looked only good in picture or in living room. If I only have the WR-2 in my bedroom, the Walnut wood case look more natural and fit bedroom decor better.

Okay, after I received my WR-2 radio in walnut casing. I am so pleased with the AM reception(just its internal antenna), it ables me to tune into many AM station, that we can't tune in with other boombox type AMFM stereo. TIPS: since it's not a legendary GE superadio, you have to keep the WR-2 a bit away from other electronics, like PC computer, monitor or cooling fans. Otherwise, WR-2 will receive noise interferences from them.

I live in Houston, there are plenty of FM and AM stations. Its RDS (radio data system that many metro city FM station provided) shows the FM station name, each song/artist name on the LCD, it is very handy, when you hear some new good songs, you can look at the LCD to find out who sang it.
The internal FM antenna can do O.K. reception job.
But I still use its provided FM antenna wire (optional) to enhance its FM reception, otherwise some weak Fm station will have hissing sound.

I like its CreditCard sized full-feature Remote Control and Aux input (you have to buy your own audio input cord from radioshack or bestbuy). I connect my portable dvd player to it, the sound thru the little speaker is exceptional, very clear, well balanced and warm tone.
Also, you can adjust the radio speaker's Bass/Treble level, from -6 to +6.
Its small sized speaker is very powerful to reproduce music from the input.

For people who enjoy small clear wood design, FM radio music, AM talk show, and music input (portable CD/Dvd or ipod), and have about $160 budget, this Sangean WR-2 radio is a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, elegant, powerful radio. "It just works.", January 22, 2007
I was looking for a simple, powerful alarm radio, that also accepts AUX in (for iPods, etc.). The three primary radios I considered were the Sangean WR-2, Tivoli Audio Model One, and Boston Acoustics Receptor. Compact size, simplicity, and audio quality were my primary criteria. I looked at the Tivoli and Boston Acoustics "hands on" in a Target. I was quite disappointed with the Tivoli - seemed very cheaply made. The Boston Acoustics felt more solid, but the entire thing is plastic. I bought the Sangean sight unseen, but must say it is clearly superior to the competition. Build quality is exceptional and very solid - high quality wood and metal. The controls are intuitive and the remote is compact, yet fully functional. Audio quality is unmatched. The Sangean supports preset stations (which the Tivoli does not) and features a rich display that the other radios lack (including name of song, artist, and other information).

The Sangean is an elegant and handsome radio that has met all of my expectations. I expect to buy one for the office and maybe a third for the kitchen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great radio; so-so clock radio, July 29, 2007
W. Vinton (Waterford VT) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a high quality clock radio, and found the Sangean WR-2, and the favorable reviews led me to try it over the Boston Acoustics Receptor. When I unpacked it, I thought I had made a good choice - looks fabulous, great sound, nice input/output features, nice remote. And yet, when I started to set it up for its intended use - as a clock radio - my opinion fell. First of all, the radio can only store one alarm time. Many (most?) clock radios sold now have the ability to store two alarm times - one for, say, weekdays and one for weekends.

But more importantly, the procedure to set the particular alarm mode - on, off, music, or tone - requires a tired person to press no fewer than three separate buttons in sequence, one of them a press and hold. Not a particularly intuitive process, and one that would quickly turn annoying for one of the most commonly used processes - just turning the alarm on and off right before one went to bed would be a complicated ritual, and one that my wife, for example, would not want to engage in on the times that I am away. And, myself, being in a wearied mental state would probably not handle it gracefully either without referring to the manual.

So, a great sounding and looking radio with good features (AM reception is awful, but so it is on the Boston Acoustics, too), but with an overly complicated alarm setting process that makes it difficult to use as a clock radio.

Sangean WR-2 Digital AM/FM Tabletop Radio, Black