5.0 out of 5 stars Tells the"truth", with joy intact
Published on October 19, 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars This is an abbreviated story!!
Published on January 30, 2010 by Kaitlin E.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tells the"truth", with joy intact, October 19, 2000
By A Customer
This is a must-read for Christian children at Christmas. A child hears kids on the street say Santa isn't real, and goes inside to ask his father. The dad tells him that St. Nicholas was a real person who, because he loved Jesus, gave gifts to the poor. The boy is inspired by the story and decides to share with others, like St. Nick did. The book ends with a cheerful picture of Santa: "As the family sat around and talked half the night, Todd thought he saw, in the snow and moonlight...a bright-eyed Saint Nicholas with his sack looking in, and wide across his face, a jolly old grin." Children will know that the real Santa is now in heaven, but people still rememeber him today because of his generous spirit. The book tells the "truth" about Santa, while also allowing for a child's imagination and sense of joy to remain intact over who Santa was.

4.0 out of 5 stars a healthy way for children to understand Santa, December 29, 1998
By A Customer
We have a copy from 1977. This book teaches children at their level that Nicholas was a man, a kind man, a religious man. It tells the Christian message and the REAL story of St. Nick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant for helping children understand Christmas & Santa, January 7, 1999
By A Customer
I am ordering this book for my grandchildren who will be starting school next year. Once in school they begin to learn the hard facts about Santa. This book should help them understand more about the Christian belief in the Greatest Gift of all and yet hold on to a bit of the magic of "Santa" a tradition we hold so dear.

2.0 out of 5 stars This is an abbreviated story!!, January 30, 2010
This review is from: Santa, Are You For Real? (Board book)
I was excited to find the Santa Are You for Real book to get for my son after having grown up reading it. Much to my disappointment, this board book has abbreviated the part of the story that I found most interesting and most significant: the story and history of St. Nicholas. Without delving into this history, the book seems like it's missed the point. I'm not sure why the whole story could not be incorporated into this board book and I highly recommend that readers get their children the original story. It's much more worthwhile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Is he real?, November 26, 2004
Is Santa real? Well, yes and no.

Myra does a really nice job of explaining where the Santa legend came from, and how St. Nicholas loved God and people. Myra's story point kids to St. Nicholas' Lord, and shows them they do not need to sacrifice the magic and imagination in order to worship Him.

Nicely illustrated too.

I buy two or three of these every year for 4-6 year olds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, February 22, 2008
This is a great book about the real santa. I grew up not believing in Santa but my husband did. I did not want my children believing in only santa but Jesus also and this book satisfied me as far as beliving in santa and the true meaning of Christmas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute Santa Claus book for little ones, December 19, 2009
This review is from: Santa, Are You For Real? (Board book)
This is a very simple book that explains that Santa Claus was a real man- a Christan named Nicholas who loved God and loved to give to help others in need. It doesn't go into a lot of detail or historical facts, and wouldn't bring your child to tears over changing your child's idea of Santa. It just adds a little something better and confirms his reality in their minds. I would recommend it for toddlers and preschoolers, but would suggest something more detailed for older children. Google The St. Nicholas Center for more book suggestions, related projects, free coloring sheets, and a wealth of information to share with your children! Pretty fascinating stuff.

I'd also highly recommend this animated video for children of any age. Nicholas: The Boy Who Became Santa It has become a holiday favorite in our house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Help children know the truth about St. Nicholas, December 22, 1999
We read this book every year with our two children. It helps them understand the truth about St. Nicholas and helps them reconcile the commercial Santa with the truth of Christmas. It puts Santa and gifts in their place underneath the birth Jesus.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but doesn't go far enough for me., December 5, 2004
I really liked this book and how it explained the truth about the real St. Nick, but I still came away feeling like it was a half truth. I guess I wanted more of Jesus in the story. I do still read it to my kids every year, though. The other day in the grocery store my 3 year old was acting up and someone said, "Santa is watching you" to help calm him down. My 5 year old looked at her as if she were crazy and said, "Santa is in heaven with Jesus" - so I think she gets it. I'm pretty sure that is a direct quote from the book. Overall, I would recommend it, although I don't read some of the text and add my own on some pages - like the last page.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed ., February 29, 2000
We bought this book ( Santa ) because we have the Easter Bunny Book (which we love). The Santa book does a great job explaining the story of the real St. Nick. After telling the story and explaining that Christmas is about giving, they show a picture of a Santa Claus winking. I found this to be very confusing The reason I wanted the book was to take the focus away from Santa and on to Jesus. I felt this book really contradicted itself at the end. I will continue to read this book to my children , but will not include the last page and wording.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Santa,  Are You For Real?
Santa, Are You For Real? by Harold Lawrence Myra (Board book - October 4, 2005)
Used & New from: $0.01