Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

Format: Blu-rayChange

on February 21, 2011
I have always been a huge fan of the Buddies movie. More than the original Air Bud series. This one though is so far my top fav. It really explains the true meaning of Christmas. Plus the cuteness between Puppy Paws and the buddies is great humor. The cute stray puppy Tiny in the pound also sings a short beautiful song "A Christmas Miracle" and it brings tears to your eyes. Highly worth the price!
on October 3, 2009
This is mainly in response to the previous reviewer complaining about this movie. This movie is obviously not for you because your an adult and you probably don't have children. Because if you did, you would see that kids love these movies, my son watches them all the time(he's 4). The target audience is obviously children, not some grumpy old man with internet access and extreme distaste for Golden Retrievers.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2012
My little girl and I are HUGE Buddies FANS and have all the movies! The only disappointment is the lack of toys available from the movies! When I finally found thhis set I was thrilled and although we already own the movie (and have watched it 100's of times) it was worth it to see the thrill on my little girls face!Every night in her prayers she would pray to meet the Buddies and we would wish on a star five individual times - wishing to meet each Buddy! I hope and pray they come out with more Buddy sets! The only problem was B-Dawgs necklace broke and was a bit flimsy although (once we find all the pieces I will try to fix it), Budda's necklace was fine. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE COME OUT WITH MORE BUDDIES SETS! PREFERABLY AT LEAST ONE SET PER MOVIE!!!!! THE BUDDIES HAVE A HUGE FAN BASE AND WE LOVE THEM DEARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on April 18, 2011
This cute-looking little movie is one of those bittersweet selections for a family movie night. My daughter loved the movie, her dad and myself were bored to tears. My daughter is four and loves animals. Anything with talking animals in it pleases her, but the actual movie itself was horrible. Story line, plot, characters, everything about it was so cheesy and lame. But chances are, if you have small children, they will love it.
on March 30, 2011
This is a Christmas movie I will watch all year long. Those "Buddies" are so cute. The voices match each one's personality perfectly.
VINE VOICEon December 27, 2009
Format: Blu-rayVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Look, if you like cute little puppies doing cute little things with the help of CGI, you'll be able to sit through Santa Buddies. However, then you have to deal with the pretty insipid plot.

The story of Santa Buddies can be divided into three arcs. The first is that Santa (Played by George "Norm from Cheers" Wendt) is noticing that the magic icicle that powers Christmas is melting due to people forgetting the true meaning of Christmas. Of course, the movie says the meaning of Christmas is "brotherhood amongst mankind and peace on Earth" and not "presents presents presents," which is in itself incorrect. The true meaning of Christmas is either "Happy Birthday Jesus!" or "Hey, let's steal this Pagan Holiday by moving Jesus' birthday from the Summer to the Winter in order to convert more heathens," depending on who you ask. This aspect of Christmas is only touched on a few times during the movie when some people or animals say grace before eating or make some nebulous Christian comment, but in such a way it can come off as praying to Santa. This attempt not to offend non-Christians by Disney actually ends up offending everyone. Christians will be annoyed Jesus isn't mentioned at all in the movie, considering it's HIS holiday, while Non-Christians will be annoyed by the fact religion is brought up at all, and even moreso that the one Buddhist Dog and his family think Christmas is swell and has no religious conflictions with his own faith at all. That's right kids, according to Santa Buddies, all religions celebrate Christmas!

The second arc is Puppy Paws, the son of Santa Paws (Santa Claus' dog) doesn't believe in Christmas anymore and runs away to hang out with the Buddies. Puppy Paws fails miserably at being a normal dog and hilarious antics occur as he tries to mimick each of the Buddies. Well, hilarious if you are a little kid. My girlfriend and I were exceptionally annoyed by B-Dawg, if only because he would steal catch phrases from John Cena, and we hate John Cena.

The third arc is all the puppies finding the "true" meaning of Christmas and helping to spread joy and toys to children everywhere. Pretty generic and what one would expect.

The overall movie is pretty trite and cheesy, but little kids will love it. The music is pretty bad, but that's more because no one in the movie can carry a tune rather than the lyrics or actual songs being bad. I found it pretty hard to sit through this for multiple reasons, but as a thirty year old man, I can also respect that I am not the target demographic and that that audience will have fun with this.

I'm also happy to report that this comes with both a Blu-Ray and a normal DVD, so that kids can bring this film over to their friends without having to worry if Bobby's family has a PS3 or other blu-ray reading device. The picture is obviously crisper and prettier on blu-ray due to the high definition, but this isn't really a film you need on blu-ray. There's nothing here that needs to be in high-definition. In fact, the CGI reindeer actually look worse in high-def because you can tell how fake they are.

The package only has two special features, both of which are under five minutes in length COMBINED. They are both songs for children to sing along with, and this is a bit shameful because the blu-ray disc has so much more room than this and they really should have put more on this to fill the space.

In all, I can't really recommend this film unless you have a lot of dog loving children. Even then, the film is a bit pants and this is obvious an attempt to squeeze more money from the "Air Bud" franchises. It's not a bad movie; it's just not a good one either.
on November 29, 2011
enjoyed the book as well as the movie i did recommend this to my friends and some family members also. my daughter really likes the story.
on December 4, 2011
I actually bought this DVD two years ago, but forgot to write a review!
Super cute movie, especially cute to watch with the kids at Christmas
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I just finsihed watching a preview copy of this and I believe that it will be a Christmas must film for any family with very small children. This is not a movie for adults. It is, I repeat, a movie for kids. (Though I know of dogs that enjoy watching dogs on TV, so perhaps it is also a movie for dogs and their owners. I do not have a dog, but I recently dog-sitted an absolutely magnificent German Shepherd -- Hi Lion! -- for a couple of weeks with my daughter. I noticed that he liked seeing dogs on TV, so this might have been something that he would have found fascinating.) I mean, what kid wouldn't flip out for a movie with talking puppies?

The story itself will make a Scrooge-hearted adult cringe a bit. I frankly didn't quite follow it. Somehow or other Puppy Paws, Santa Claus's puppy, who has fled to some town in Washington in an effort to be a regular puppy and gotten himself caught by pound owner Stan Crudge (Christopher Lloyd), must be found and returned to the North Pole or Christmas will be in danger. And there is something about a melting icicle in a cavern that also has to be saved so Christmas can be saved, though how this relates to Puppy Paws escapes me, though maybe this has something to do with the necklace around Puppy Paws's neck. But hey! This isn't about story. It is about cute talking puppies who are able to fly at the end pulling a sleigh that takes Puppy Paws back to the North Pole. And a poor kid who is sick and needs to a puppy to feel better (and gets the puppy named Tim). And when Santa's reindeer are unable to pull Santa's sleigh, the Buddies (from Robert Vince's various Bud and Buddie movies) step in and pull a smaller one, with Puppy Paws dropping down chimneys to deliver the toys, to save Christmas. And Tiny gets to sing a couple of songs.

Best scene: a Golden Retriever puppy and the all white dog (not sure of the breed) who plays Puppy Paws roll around in moist dirt, enter the house, go into an all white room, and get dirt over everything.

Look, adults are not going to like this (except in cases noted above). The plot is pretty hard to take (to the extent that it makes any sense at all) and it milks every emotion possible, but anyone who has had a small child or simply knows the taste of very young children (I'm talking ages 3 to 7) will recognize how they will get a kick out of this. So remember, this movie is all about the kids. And puppies.

This is another one of the Disney's dual packs, which contains both a DVD and Blu-ray copy of the film. I think this is a great idea. The one package is appropriate for any household. And if a kid watches this at home on Blu-ray can watch it on DVD if they take it over to a friend's house. Of if you watch it at home on Blu-ray, you can watch it on DVD in the car. I don't know how much longer Disney will keep this up, but it is a great idea.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2009
I am a 52 year old woman who does not have children. I found this movie the BEST christmas movie I have ever seen. The story was heartwarming and made me feel happy inside. I cried happy tears several times during the movie because the story or the dogs were so darn cute. I watched this movie on Netlix and will be purchasing this movie for my own collection, which I will cherish for years to come. I will also be purchasing several more copies to give to friends for the holidays. I personally cannot recommend this movie enough, especially for people who love dogs as much as I do.