Why Beeswax? Most candles are made of petro-chemical (paraffin) and meatpacking wastes that are toxic when burned, scented with poisonous synthetic oils, and marketed to "freshen" our precious air. The black soot is as harmful to our health as tobacco smoke. The EPA says: "burning several [paraffin] candles... increased risk for cancer". The American Lung Association says: "Refrain from burning scented... candles" (see online about "aromatherapy" candles and their heath hazards). HealthyCandles.org says: "Avoid paraffin." Beeswax is very different. Made from flowers by honeybees, it's all natural, uniquely nontoxic, non-allergenic, and has a delicate honey-sweet aroma. A perfect, peaceful, renewable resource, beeswax is made by female worker bees for honeycomb that safely contains their honey and the Queen's baby bees. To produce one pound of beeswax, the worker bees eat about ten pounds of honey, fly 150,000 miles, and visit 33 million flower blossoms! Beeswax is precious stuff. Pure beeswax is healthy when burned, producing negative ions that actually clean our air of odors, pollens, smoke, viruses, mold, dust, dust mites, and other allergens and hazards. As does a rainstorm, beeswax candles leave our air fresher and cleaner. They are the only candles for anyone with chemical sensitivities or allergies. Increasing negative ions in the air and on the body, such as when one bathes in water, improves mood and sense of wellbeing. Value, Beeswax burns brighter, hotter, cleaner, and much longer than chemical and vegetable waxes. When properly made and burned, beeswax candles are smokeless and dripless. They may seem more expensive, but measured by burn time and completeness of burn, beeswax candles are a better monetary value than boutique paraffin. But beware: A candle may legally be labeled "beeswax" if it contains as little as 10% beeswax! If it doesn't say "100%" or "pure" beeswax on the label, it almost certainly is not.