4.0 out of 5 stars Yep Roc's Stylized Christmas Tunes
I was drawn to this collection initially because of th'Legendary Shack Shakers. Their version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" is an amazing blend of both traditional and contemporary. Infused with a clangy, bluesy charm, and blended with Colonel JD Wilkes wailing Hohner harp, they make the song their own without taking away from the original.

Other favorites...
Published on December 8, 2007 by S. Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag
Published on November 29, 2007 by Daniel McGoldrick

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag, November 29, 2007
I expected it to be spotty, and it is. I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but perhaps I'm just getting too old for hipster Xmas albums. Los Straitjackets, Jason Ringenberg and Reverend Horton Heat drew me to this one, which might give you an idea of where I'm coming from. But I found only one truly great song (the bluegrass title track), a couple pretty good ones ("Holiday Mood," "New York Is a Christmas Kind of Town") and then a serious drop-off in quality. RHH's "Santa on the Roof" isn't bad, but Los Straitjackets' contribution will disappoint anybody who loves their terrific Christmas album. (They sing. 'Nuff said.) The rest of the album is the usual indie-band holiday stuff...either jaundiced or tritely "ironic," and let's face it, both approaches are pretty stale by now. Songs range from OK (Cities channelling XTC's Three Wise Men) to just plain lousy (Jason's scorch-free "Lovely Christmas"). At least there's a little something for everyone here, but the more hip you consider yourself to be, the better you'll probably like it. If you just want to annoy visiting relatives, get Mojo Nixon's "Horny Holidays" or Mr. Hanky's set instead -- both are a lot more fun. If you want something a bit different, try "James Brown's Funky Christmas," or a couple classics from Rhino, "Alligator Stomp vol. 4: Cajun Christmas" or "Bummed Out Christmas!" If you can get "Oh Santa!" cheap, it's worth picking up...2.5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yep Roc's Stylized Christmas Tunes, December 8, 2007

Other favorites of mine include Jason Ringenberg(feat. Kristi Rose) doing "Lovely Christmas", with the latter performing a gentle tune, interuppted, at points at Jason's railing against modern holiday conditions. "Santa Gave To You What You Gave To Me" by Jake Brennan & the Confidence Men is naughty Christmas all the way, and a fun tune. Marah's "New York Is A Christmas Kind of Town" and Chatham County Line's "O! Santa" are more traditonal and folksy and remind of a more innocent kind of Christmas tune.

Reverend Horton Heat "Santa On the Roof" is a fine balancing act of modern performance with a traditional Christmas concept, and should please both Heat and Christmas fans alike. Also, "Your Christmas Whiskey" by Minus 5 is an excellent song.

The only song I felt that was inferior was The Moaners "Something Funny In Santa's Lap". Without even bothering to interpret the lyrics, the song is simply not that interesting.

For those looking for a blend of humorous, traditional and experimental type of Christmas songs, this is worth a shot.

Swampblood Believe