These Eneloop spacers are decent quality, unlike some of the other battery adapter brands. However, they may not work for your application with out some messing around.

Published on November 18, 2010 by Marcus

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, but...
Published on February 11, 2012 by R. King

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars These adapters will work, but some effort required in some devices, November 18, 2010
This review is from: Sanyo Eneloop Spacer Pack: 4 Pack of D-size Adapters (Electronics)

First, when you slide the AA battery in, the positive end slides inside four little springy plastic arms that hold the battery in and allow it to make contact with the sliding positive terminal of the adapter. On a couple of these spacers that I have, you need to use a little screwdriver to move one of the arms back so that the battery will slide in - no big deal. The bottom, negative side of the spacer is just open ended, so that the AA battery can slip out if it is not firmly retained by a spring or terminal inside your device.

Another potential problem is that some of the springs designed to hold D batteries will have an inner coil that is too big to hold the AA battery base (as in many flashlights). The solution to this is to use a 50 cent (half-dollar) coin or similar sized 1-1/4" diameter, thin, round metal disk on the bottom of the adapter to make electrical contact. You can tape it on with a small piece of masking tape if necessary. (Obviously, just tape the outer edges of the coin/disk to the adapter, so you still get electrical contact with the spring). Note that a quarter may work in a pinch, but since it is smaller in diameter it may tilt and fail to make contact.

UPDATE: I had previously suggested using a metal washer, but most washers have a hole that is too large to make electrical contact with the base of the battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars It needs to come with quarters., July 21, 2010
I disagree with most of the reviewers here that the batteries are too loose. If anything it makes the product easier to use because I have some other spacers and they are annoying because of the effort to switch out the batteries.

The vastly simple solution to the AA battery popping out on the negative side is to stick a quarter, or a nickel in-between the battery terminal and the negative (flat) end of the AA battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars the greatest battery ever, October 25, 2010
We recently had a child and now are the proud owners of a multitude of battery-operated toys, so we bought a stack of AAs and some of the D-cell shells and a charger. I have been very impressed that the AAs in the D shells will power the infant swing for hours. It seemed like a lot of $$ to get started but already I have replaced a mountain of AA's and D's with the rechargeables, and now we are using them all over the house: clock, wireless mouse and keyboard, kids toys, etc. At this rate, we will get a return on our investment In a matter of months.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, but..., February 11, 2012
This adapter works in most applications but if you plan on using it for flashlights, there is one problem. If the flashlight has a coil spring that the battery adapter contacts on the bottom, make sure that the diameter of the coil is smaller than the diameter of the AA battery. Otherwise the battery will pop out when you load it into the flashlight. This happens because the battery is ejected when you press on the top contact of the adapter. If there are no coil springs then the adapter works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Maglite just got lighter., July 8, 2012
XMAN777 (Bensalem, PA) - See all my reviews
Well, I am a huge fan of the Sanyo eneloop batteries. I use them for everything. When I found out that they made adaptors for the AA batteries, I wanted to check them out immediately.
The first major selling feature of this product is adaptability. I no longer need to spend hundreds of dollars rotating in multiple batteries for all my gear. All i need are some rechargeable batteries and these handy adaptors and I have thousands of hours out of 4 AA batteries.
Second is cost savings. Why on earth would anyone buy another non-rechargable battery? I can get thousands of recharges out of one battery. If that battery is now adaptable to multiple different sizes, you've save additional bucks!
The next major advantage is weight savings! 4 of these with the Eneloop AA's and your Maglite will will weigh half as much as it used to. Use it in radios for emergency weather information too! Now your radio doesn't weigh as much.
Keep a dozen of the AA's and a dozen AAA's on hand and you can pretty much power anything in the event you need them.
Pros:
Inexpensive
Versatile
Lightweight compared to actual batteries.
Cons:
Plastic could break easy, but I have had these for about a year now with no issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome AA adapter, February 6, 2013
The Eneloop adapters have a nice snap to them when you insert the battery. They are sturdy, fit well, and are light weight. If you're worried about contact space on the bottom (e.g., large contact springs in flashlights), you can simply do a trick I saw in an online video and put a piece of tin foil around the bottom end of that first adapter. The inside of the Eneloop has 'fins' to hold the AA in place, which will also help keep the tin foil flat so that a spring does not somehow journey up into adapter between the battery and the adapter wall. Overall, simple, effective, durable, and affordable.

5.0 out of 5 stars We gave this a 5 star rating, January 29, 2013
These spacers are a handy way to cut clutter in the battery drawer and use the A's we have. My husband helped me place the order for our son in law and he ranted and raved so much about it that I ordered him the same item

4.0 out of 5 stars A Nickle Solution, July 6, 2012
Wow! These adapters are great! When I first stuck the AA batteries into each Eneloop Adapter, I ran into a big problem. The spring on my flashlight didn't make contact with the AA in the adapter. So, I stuck a nickle in the spring (has to be IN the spring so it doesn't slide to the side & short out against the metal flashlight body) & that solved my problem. These adapters have solved my problem of having a ton a AA batteries lying around doing nothing & now the flashlight is really bright again. This was well worth the purchase. I will make up the cost of these adapters easily when I no longer have to recharge the D batteries all the time.

3.0 out of 5 stars they work, may sometimes be a little fussy, January 13, 2012
Craig (San Diego, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
Not sure I like the design of these... They work, but sometimes the back-end of the battery doesn't want to easily engage the spring loaded side of battery compartments, requiring more care than if these things had been designed so that the battery were inserted into the spacer from the other end, presenting a larger 'bottom' and exposing the battery's 'top'. I have also used a spacer back that presented more of a shell that completely enclosed the battery, but those took more time to use, and were slightly longer than naked batteries, making some compartments a tighter fit than comfortable. These spacers are better than those.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lacking a simple cheap solution - But effective., November 19, 2011
Just tried these on 3 different lanterns, and 2 different Maglights. They worked on NONE of them! The neg end in all these items has a larger spring dia then the battery ends, so it falls thru and wont make contact. They could easily add simple cheap spacers to resolve this but don't. Many items are going to have this problem, now I'll need to dig something up to resolve this. I gave 2 stars out of kindness as the quality other then missing adapter seems decent.

Update: I have updated my review to change to 4 star after 2nd order. I stand by my opinion they fall short with spacer issue, but found some battery bars I had laying around that resolved the problem. Also, 2 new lanterns I bought they worked fine in (Rayovac). So if your application has the metal bar type spring that hits center of battery you'll be fine, if you have a large diameter coil spring type cap you'll need to rig up a spacer of some type.

The spacers themselves all work well and serve intended purpose and are easy to change batteries in.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›