on May 8, 2013
I wanted to provide a few tips so that anyone else buying these to do some Scrypt mining can avoid some time wasting issues. Some of the following steps I am articulating were about a day or so of debugging until I arived at that step as conclusion (some steps were only an hour of debugging). I am highlighting these key points in one review for new buyers so they can avoid some of the same problems. I'm using Windows 8. These cards are happily chugging along at 620 kh/s now, finally.

1. First off, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, use the AMD Catalyst 13.1 Drivers. If you install 13.3 then cgminer will (likely) crash on Scrypt mode. Also, it can be really hard to remove all the 13.3 remnants. Some people seemed to have success removing with a utility whose name escapes me. I just did a full OS reinstall, which wasn't a problem as it was fresh install on the miner in the first place, just time consuming. If you have trouble finding 13.1 Catalyst I found them at a site with the name 3D Guru in it. So try to use those terms in the web search option of your choice (AMD catalyst 13.1 3D guru).

2. Use cgminer. Read about it on the coin forums (a helpful link is here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=117221.0) . It's very customizable and gives a way better hashrate than some other miners.

3. An important step to make cgminer run with high settings is go into cmd.exe and run this setting: setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100 If you don't cgminer will crash with an error about mem buffers.

4. After all of those were in place, the last important steps were adding the following to your conf file or command line settings:
"thread-concurrency" : "21712",
"worksize" : "256",
"kernel" : "scrypt",
"intensity" : "19", (or 20 here)
"gpu-threads" : "1",
"temp-target" : "74",
"temp-overheat" : "80",
"gpu-engine" : "1075",
"gpu-memclock" : "1650",
It was the gpu engine and memclock settings that made these cards actually run at the 620 khs. Those were the difference between 500 khs and 620 khs all other settings being equal.

It's about 65 degrees fahrenheit ambient temp in my computer room and these cards are running at 73 degrees C and the gpu fans are running at 60% in an open air rig with a box fan on them.

That wraps up the points that I wish I had had available to me when starting. I hope it helps somebody avoid some pitfalls. Good luck and happy mining!
1515 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2013
I started with a gigabyte non-reference card. It was listed on my EK-waterblocks compatibility list, but it didn't mention on amazon that it was rev 2. Therefore, one cap was out of place and I could no longer work with it. Got this, slapped the block, backplate, and single slot pci-bracket on it, and its the best I could hope for. It is currently running at 1150/1500, which is an incredible overclock, especially for a voltage locked card. It hovers at 40-45 degrees while gaming, which to me is hilarious compared to literally any air cooler. I wouldn't recommended it as is (as the non-reference will be cooler, quiter, and have better power delivery), but for compatibility with watercooling, it is excellent.
on May 14, 2013
Have been using this card close to a month now and love every bit of it! The only reason I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars is the fan on this thing is loud! Even at 50% the fan is incredibly loud. Overall great product and will buy it again.
on March 18, 2016
This card just extended my 2009 mac pro tower's life for the good while. no issues on installation and I now run at a max of 3K. my monitor is a full 4K but i'm guessing that 3840x2160 is the max res this card can output.. good enough for me as the previous card from the previous environment and was 1080P.
on August 16, 2013
This 7950 is a fully reference design cooler with a 7970 reference pcb. This means it is the design set by AMD and it will clock very well. The only major difference is the power phase is a 4+1 where as the true 7970 reference is a 6+1 I believe. Also it has 2x 6 pin power connections. Other than that it will work with full cover 7970 water blocks.

I ordered 2 and one of mine had terrible artifacts. Amazon has excellent support and has already sent a replacement. Initial clocks on air cooling are hitting 1200 on core and 1500 on mem with stock voltage. I'm sure once I get the water blocks on these they will clock higher than 7970's. Highly recommend this card.
on October 2, 2013
This product arrived as promised and was relatively easy to install. Since it is march larger(physically) than the card it replaced it took a little bit more than typical plug-n-play steps to get it in and connected, but all in all, a clear DIY process that took all of about 15 minutes. The result.......terrific graphics and unlimited speed capability in all gaming situations, including some of the most demanding games on market. It is not cheap, but you do get what you pay for, and this one performs at the upper edges of the extreme levels one seeks to maximize your gaming experience. And in general, all graphics depiction on your system are beautifully enhanced. Highly recommended item.
on August 23, 2013
What i like: This Card is very affordable for any gaming PC build.
It runs any game i throw is way with easy.

What i Dislike: The card can get very hot if you dont have a very good cooling system in place but that is expected.
The card is also very long and may take up lots of space within your computer so also keep that in mind when buying.

Other than what was mentioned above this graphic card is a very good buy and i do recommend to all pc gamers that are purchasing cards on a budget.
on February 10, 2014
their are so many reviews on this card its like beating a dead horse how ever i like it. it works and is quite at least in my big case. ( cosmos2) it plays most games as of 2/2014 on high or ultra @ 60fps+ non the less im happy with it.
on October 16, 2013
This GPU will out perform almost any other GPU on the market for a 7950. As a word of advice from someone who owns multiple GPUs, buy this one. Absolutely do not buy a Powercolor HD 7950 unless you want to end up buying a liquid CPU cooler to keep the absurdly high temperatures down. Sapphire's 7950 is the way to go.
on March 2, 2014
Been using this GPU since Nov of 2013. I am very pleased of my purchased. Stock setting 800mhz core and 1250 memory, i easily overclock this card to 1125mhz core and 1500mhz memory without even have to adjust my voltage. The heat ran no hotter then 80-87c... I'm using this GPU with a FX8350 cpu & Asrock3 990FX motherboard all runs nicely... BF4 runs easily over 70-120fps depending on the maps, it has it dips but that's because the game has it development issues. Other games I purchased & ran on max setting are NFS Rivals, Black Flag and Thief all clock well to its maximum limits. Tomb Raider runs easily 70fps plus... I got this card for $225 so it was a steal at the time. I am well pleased with the quality and performance.