Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on March 12, 2010
I got the 5770 to replace a dying NVIDIA 8800GTX. This card cost me about 1/3 of what the 8800GTX cost me when it first came out. It is 2/3 the length of the 8800GTX, uses 20% less power and runs so much cooler, I am amazed.

I'm sure people will want me to tell them how it works with various games. I'm afraid I can't since I don't use them. I am, however, an avid user of Microsoft Flight Simulator X and can tell you that this card is superior in every way to the 8800GTX. Scenery textures are crisp with no blurries, FPS run 10% higher or more and light bloom looks a lot better.

This isn't the biggest and baddest card out there, but it amply fills my needs. I had seen a number of forum posts about people having problems with Windows 7 64 bit, but installing the latest drivers went flawlessly. My only complaint is that the Catalyst software can be a bit obscure about how to change certain settings, but I'll get used to it.
55 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2010
I am running a machine with windows 7, an AMD phenom II quad core processor, and 8 gigs of Ram. I like to run my games at 1920x1080 wide screen. I can run games like Mass effect 2 or mirrors edge at full settings with no slowdown issues. Crysis also runs very well at this resolution with everything turned up and suffers only a slight frame rate drop. So in short you can run most games at very high resolution with everything turned up and suffer no, or slight frame rate drops.

Update: 1/4/2012

When I purchased this card I was very happy and I have enjoyed a very good run with it. This is still a really nice card and I have enjoyed it for the time I have had it. But the future is here. It can no longer play some of the newer games at optimal performances as I stated in the past. Some newer graphically rich games such as the witcher 2 can give it a run for its money even at the lower settings. This new review is not to discourage you from looking at this card as an option if you are looking for something at budget. But if you want a card that will last you into the next generation of games. it may be time to look at newer video card options. That said, it can still handle most games very well at the time of this review.
on July 9, 2010
I bought this video card to play World of Warcraft. It is a huge improvement from the last one, I'm able to play in Ultra mode with 46 fps. No more slow motion when casting spells.

For the price, it's a very nice video card for this kind of games. If you want to play more video-demanding games, you should check another one.
on November 12, 2010
I bought this graphics card to play FFXIV. My PC is a 1 year old HP with an older core duo Q8300 processor and a weakling HD4350 GPU.

After a lot of research, I decided the 5770 was the best value GPU for my PC. I didn't want to spend 2-3x as much for a card that would have it's performance bottlenecked by the CPU. This graphics card alone increased my benchmark score on high from 300 to 2100. While that is low for FFXIV, this card is more than sufficient to run the game on standard settings at 1920X1080 with a good frame rate (outside of towns anyways haha). The frame rate (of course) increases when running at lower resolution, but I have a 25" 1920X1080 monitor and FFXIV looks beautiful and smooth when it fills the screen. FFXIV is probably the most demanding game currently available for PC in terms of CPU and GPU power. Most cards that run FFXIV on standard settings, will run other games on max settings with no problems.

In short, this is a great value card for the older processors. If you have an I7 or equivalent CPU, then I would consider spending more on a better card such as the 5870. The Sapphire card didn't take up much space in my small tower, and it doesn't run hot. I am overall very happy with this card and I would recommend it to others.
on January 29, 2011
I upgraded the onboard graphics on my Windows 7/64bit quad core/12GB RAM system. It was speedy before, but it's now demonstrably faster. I figured that with the quad core CPU and huge RAM figures, I wouldn't see a dramatic performance kick in NON-graphic related programs. I was wrong. What a surprising bump--in Word, Outlook...even moving data over my network. I haven't tried video editing yet, but there's no question that will be vastly better as well.

Two important things to keep in mind before you buy: this card takes up two slots; even though it plugs into the PCI-e port, it's a thick card that stacks the DVI jacks, so you need to make sure you have two rear bays open. Also, you'll likely need to upgrade your power supply because the unit requires a minimum PS of 450W; most systems are sold with 300 or 350W. I had to buy a Corsair 650W TX, which is a very nice unit.

It's also a long card, which should fit in most ATX cases--but best to be sure to avoid surprises. Final note: download the newest driver package off the website rather than using the enclosed CD (always recommended). I've only used the card for a day, but thus far I'm impressed.
on August 3, 2010
I purchased it for use in a computer I was building from spare parts I had accumulated over the years. With the addition of this inexpensive card, the machine is a fairly decent budget gaming rig now. At 1680x1050 it nearly keeps up with my 285GTX @ 1920x1080 in framerate. It runs very quiet and temps are low; never exceeds 80C in Furmark.
on October 21, 2010
This card is stellar!

One problem i've had with Nvidia over the years is that they are great cards for gaming, but usually lackluster in the audio and HD video department. This card is just as good at gaming as an Nvidia card , but also has PHENOMENAL sound and HD video processing!

First off to get it out of the way, this card can run Metro 2033 at around 30-45 fps on "high" DX11 settings, now that right there should tell you something! Also can run Crysis MAXED on VERY HIGH at around 30-45. Serious Sam HD MAXED at a constant 60 fps. This is just a few examples with my pc which has 4 gb of DDR3 and AMD Athlon 2 635.

Now right off the bat that is some very good game performance for a card at this price point, but the sweet part is it also knocks HD video and audio out of the park!

If you want to play Metro 2033 at "very high" or you want 50+ fps in Crysis, well you are going to have to buy another card that costs around $400+ and have a TOP of the line cpu.

When you take into consideration what you can do with this card for the money you will be VERY impressed! This is simply one of the best price to performance ratio cards ever made. I run it off a 500w power supply and even with the most intense gaming sessions it just BARELY gets "lukewarm", it runs so cool and quiet you will wonder where it gets all its power from!

Very well designed card with all the bells and whistles. Best card I have EVER purchased!
on December 23, 2010
I purchased this card knowing it was going to be used to drive the HUGE SCREENS out at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX. The stadium ran a feed out to my DJ/VJ booth, which was Stage Left of Dave Matthews Band. The HDMI output of this card fed an HDMI Splitter, which fed my local 40" LCD Flat Screen TV, and of course, the in-house video system that drives the Big Screens over the field and the in-house monitors all througout the stadium. The A/V guys at the stadium told me the video signal was GREAT! I was using Serato Software with the Video SL Plugin to mix the music videos... Worked like a champ with this card! Justin Williams, INTELLIGENT Lights & Sound
on March 24, 2011
There is no question that the game performance of this card is excellent. It's connectors are also well laid out so installation was a breeze. My problem is that the on-board fan failed after less than 1 year. Unless you are opening your computer up or familiar with examining the log files of your PC, you probably won't know why your system is suddenly having unexpected reboots and shutdowns. In addition to that, although Sapphire is willing to RMA the card, they have no option for an advance replacement and their support system is a joke. Tech's who respond to questions can't make RMA's and support tickets disappear out of the system after you have read them once.
on April 11, 2011
I'm not a hardcore pc guy, always leaned towards consoles believing they were superior.
After my cousin bought Crisis 2 for his pc, running an ati hd 5870, and i bought it for
the xbox 360 I felt cheated. So I bought an ati hd 5770 because i couldn't afford 100
dollars more for the 58 series, and i couldn't be happier. i can run crisis 2 and
shogun 2: total war on one setting below ultra/extreme. This is the most card you are
gonna get for this amount of money...and you can also got a 20 dollar rebate making
the grand total 110 bucksish. well well worth it.