4.0 out of 5 stars Nice series of short yoga practices at an intermediate level
Published on December 13, 2004 by Beth Cholette

3.0 out of 5 stars not sara's best
They are just okay. Maybe too short. Only did them twice. Much prefer the candlelight yoga and fat burning yoga cds. Sara is the best, though!!
Published on January 16, 2010 by S. welch

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice series of short yoga practices at an intermediate level, December 13, 2004
This review is from: Sara Ivanhoe's 20 Min Yoga Makeover - 5 Volume Gift Set (Power Beauty Sweat, Total Body Tone with Weights, Flat Abs, Weight Loss, Sculpted Buns & Thighs) (DVD)
Sara Ivanhoe's 20 Minute Yoga Makeover series consists of 5 20-minute practices designed to help anyone find time to fit in yoga. Although the videos are being marketed to all levels, they do not contain detailed instruction and would not be appropriate for those new to yoga; in fact, many of the postures included are on a more intermediate level. Instructor Sara Ivanhoe's personality in this series is similar to her prior Crunch and Dummies videos: she is very down-to-earth, although some may find her language a bit patronizing at times.

My favorite practice of the series was Sculpted Buns & Thighs, which contained excellent leg stretches and hip openers. The other practice focusing on a specific area of the body is Flat Abs, which included some challenging plank work as well as Pilates-type abs exercises. Weight Loss and Power Beauty Sweat are both designed to build heat and burn more calories, mostly through adding additional movement rather than performing static poses. Both routines have a standing posture focus: the former moves through the warrior series, including the revolved postures, while the latter concentrates more on twisting postures. The final practice in the series, Total Body Tone with Weights, was my least favorite. Rather than using the weights to enhance the stretch in the postures, the weights felt like more of an add-on.

At the end of each practice, Sara concludes with a mudra, or yogic hand gesture, which is designed to seal in the benefits of the workout; these short meditations provided a nice introduction to some of the non-phyiscal aspects of yoga practice. Overall, this is a very good series for those who have had some prior experience with yoga but who are having trouble trying to find the time for a more regular yoga practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scootch it good!, December 24, 2005
Erik Olson "Seeker Reviews" (Ridgefield, WA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
After trying many home yoga workouts, my current sweet spot for length is around 20 minutes. Any longer, and I start to get restless. Since my battle of the bulge requires more cardio, I like combining 20 or so minutes of it with a yoga or Pilates workout of the same length. So when I came across this set of five different 20-minute yoga workouts, I decided to give it a shot (I'll give almost anything a go if it motivates me to work out). I'm glad I did, because Ms. Ivanhoe has created an excellent series.

I've done a couple of Sara Ivanhoe's other yoga workouts, and I enjoy her style. An instructor can make or break a workout, and she consistently makes hers go well. Some yoga instructors prevent relaxation by barking like a drill instructor, and others are a bit too New-Agey (although Ms. Ivanhoe does nudge the spiritual plane by sealing each workout with a hand gesture, or "mudra."). Thankfully, Sara calls well, demonstrates the poses in a non-intimidating manner, and speaks in a relaxing and encouraging tone. Plus, gosh darn it, she's appealing in a wholesome sort of way. Indeed, it's quite charming when she encourages us to "scootch" in a pose.

The workouts are all twenty minutes long, and you can quickly skip the introductions to begin them. They differ from each other based on their purpose. For example, "Total Body Tone With Weights" incorporates light neoprene dumbbells to provide extra muscle work, and "Weight Loss" moves through the salutations faster to raise the heart rate for burning calories. I enjoyed all of the routines, although the "Flat Abs" one was a bit hard on my shoulders and chest due to many plank repetitions. However, Ms. Ivanhoe does suggest easier modifications throughout the series. As an added feel-good bonus, all of the routines are set in a beautiful tropical ocean-side area.

"Sara Ivanhoe's 20 Minute Yoga Makeover - 5 Volume Gift Set" is a good (and reasonably priced) addition to any home workout library, especially if you are pressed for time, or want to combine yoga with other types of exercise to shake up your routine and ease the monotony. Additional shorter and/or segmented yoga workouts I like include the "Quick Fix - Power Yoga Workout," "Baron Baptiste - Journey Into Power Level 2," and some of Karen Voight's yoga routines (like the one on "Slim Physique"). Now get out there and scootch it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Found "The One", October 28, 2005
I have tried many different types of Yoga DVDs. Most of them I got bored with due to the overemphasis on meditation as opposed to stretching. I'd wonder if I had the right pose.. and some videos would take me on a tour of the ocean or sky.

This one was different.

Sarah talks you through all the poses, making it easy to not watch the screen while you're attempting to do these stretches. You can glance over and see what she's doing in the process.

I like how this set is composed of multiple yoga dvds all targeting different areas within a 20 minute period, instead of just one that takes an hour. You can do each alone one day a week, or you can combine them for an even greater stretch.

She makes lots of great recommendations and reminds you to go at your own pace.

I didn't find this an "intensive" workout.. but I enjoyed it after my workout or in the mornings. It was a nice stretch for me. I usually do FIRM, Kathy Smith, Cathe, or some other form of cardio at some point during the day. I love the leg stretches.

Don't get me wrong, this IS strength training-- but it's relaxing. I find that my arms and sholders really get worked.

The music was also enjoyable. This exercise was relaxing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and challenging practices, February 2, 2005
I have just started using Sara Ivanhoe's box set and like it very much. The practices are short but fit nicely in with my morning routines. I use one workout prior to one of Sara Ivanhoe's CRUNCH workouts or before Hemelaya Behl's practices. They are fun, challenging and offer up quick results, having already noticed some more muscle tone in my arms and legs.

These practices would not be enough to replace a longer workout, in my opinion, but are a nice addition to your practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely love these videos., September 19, 2005
Rebecca Smith (Albuquerque, NM) - See all my reviews
I absolutely love these videos. I have tried many yoga videos, and Sara explains every move thoroughly. I have a better understanding of the different positions. They are quick, yet they really work you. I work up a sweat with each of them, and I definitely feel the burn. I alternate the videos on most days, and if I have the time, I try to do at least three of them. It feels beneficial though, even if I only have time to do one. I highly recommend these, especially if you don't have much time to work out.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Yoga for Busy People, August 21, 2005
Sara's 5 minute yoga workouts are fantastic. I bought these videos because it's hard for me to do 40 minutes or an hour with an active toddler in the house. 20 minutes is a perfect length for getting a great workout and getting back to work. All of the videos are unique and offer something different so you never get bored. I have used other yoga videos and they tend to be too new-age and talk about perfecting poses too much leading me to be bored. Sara Ivanhoe is a great instructor who is personable and friendly. She talks to you like a normal person in a normal voice and talks about her own limitations in practicing yoga. She doesn't lay on tons of pose perfection rhetoric, instead concentrating on breathing and try, try again if you fall or have a hard time. If you are in the Los Angeles area you can attend classes with Sara which are fantastic and I believe she has a website with a lot more information about her and what she's trying to accomplish.

4.0 out of 5 stars great quick workouts, October 6, 2006
This is a great set of quick (20 min. each) yoga workouts for people looking for a way to fit yoga in multiple days a week, or in a way that is not overwhelming.

The poses are advanced beginner to intermediate. To achieve the result in the titles one would have to do a bit more than just the workout series, but they are a great start and motivation.

Sarah, the instructor, is very pleasant and encouraging. This yoga series is more exercise based (versus meditative) though there is a definite focus on the breath, a core part of yoga practice.

I have enjoyed having the complete set, so not to get bored of the same series of poses over and over!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great if you're short on time, July 15, 2005
Linda S. Reeger "linsue" (northeast of Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
I've always exercised. Several months ago I started trying yoga but found many of the tapes or boxed sets just too long for a daily 5 day routine. I came across Sara's DVD's and bought 2 and really got hooked. When I learned of the set I got it.

I just finished a full week and couldn't be mored pleased. The DVD's I didn't have added diversity. Nothing is boring at all. I found the most challenging the thigh/bun day. It stretched even my flexibilty.

If you want a true yoga workout you probably won't be happy with this. If you want a little yoga, variety, something different each day of the week with week-ends off, you'll enjoy this series.

I plan on tossing most of my other exercise tapes and DVD's. I can live with this program. Sara is also very easy to like.

The only thing I add is a short period afterwards of meditation with CD's I have. I vary them and do the dead man's pose. It calms my mind and gives me a chance to let my body relax afterwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for impatient people who love yoga., April 24, 2005
I am a runner and I like to do yoga as well but an hour long video just didn't cut it with my time crunch and attention span, so these dvd's are great for doing an after cardio session to stretch out and work abs. These dvd's are great for people who live an active lifestyle and want the benefits of yoga.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, June 11, 2006
Barbie "Tribes Ministries: Get in the river." (Santa Barbara, CA/ Marseille, France) - See all my reviews
I bought these DVDs for motivation while recovering from my first pregancy. I used to be a dancer and a seasoned yogi, but 9 months of bedrest and labor have basically left me useless. Sarah's DVDs are a perfect way to start slowly, work hard, and get right back into it. She's an excellent instructor, although she's a bit... aerobics-ey for my taste. I'm a Christian, so I dont do all the new age or Hindu yoga stuff, but she was pretty decent about that too. She is clear, and she makes sure to hit on all skill levels so you can alter your asanas. My only beef is that she has like.. NO balance, which is just wierd for a yoga instructor. I mean, none.

I've been doing these for a week and a half and my body feels like it's rewinding! I am already healthier, in better shape, and more calm than I was just a week ago. I can feel the difference in my spine, my abs, and my butt. I do two of the dvds a day and then all 5 on the weekend.

I highly reccommend this program for late beginner, early intermediate yogis or yoga enthusiasts.

ARRAY(0x9ef93cd8)