Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on June 13, 2000
This book is a photo-journal portrayal of the life of a girl in early America. Based on a real-life child, the recreation (interpretation) in historic setting makes the reader feel as if he or she is right there, living the life.
It provides a great day-in-the-life picture. I borrowed this book from the library because it is part of the "core curriculum" recommended by E.D. Hirsch.
My 6 year old daughter now has a very concrete basis for comparing her own life to what it might have been at another time. It's inspiring and fun. And a great teaching tool (as mentioned in the previous review.)
on May 26, 2000
My kids (4 and 6) love this book, and want it read to them again and again. It follows a day in the life of young Sarah Morton, a historical character who was a child in early Plymouth Colony. It shows how the people lived then and how their world view differed from ours, yet it entertains at the same time. It can serve as a springboard for discussions on many different topics -- history, responsibility, religion, family, grief, hard work, and no doubt others.
on November 23, 2002
I am a Kindergarten teacher and this is a great book to read to them. It has excellent pictures. The words can be difficult for Kindergarteners to understand, however, with a little preparation, they will grasp the concept of the book. This book shows the daily lives of a Pilgrim girl. Samuel Eaton's Day compliments this book.
on September 10, 2002
We originally bought this book at Plimoth Village. My children love it. Having photos of people in actual period dress makes it so much easier to understand that they were real people and they lived differently from us. I share our copy of the book with my children's teachers every fall and they all love it and beg for our copy. Tonight, I'm buying them their own!
on January 21, 2007
Sarah Morton's Day: A Day in the life of a Pilgrim Girl and its partner books about Samuel Eaton a Pilgrim boy and Tapenum"s Day about a Wampanoag Indian boy are excellent. I used all three in teaching about Massachusetts history. The books are well researched. The setting is Plymouth Plantation where reenactors wear authentic clothing and use authentic reproductions of tools, furniture, etc. The books depict children's work, play, families, homes and clothing. The books should be in every school library.
on December 23, 2013
SARAH MORTON’S DAY introuduces a 10-year-old girl in reconstructed 1527 Plymouth (Plimoth Plantation) as she goes about her daily life before tourists and visitors. “Interpreters” like Amelia Poole and others, both adult and children, must remain "in character" while they are being viewed by contemporary tourists. Historical details are supplmented by the excellent photography of Russ Kendal, which highlihgts the authenticiy of the unadorned text.

Readers watch Sarah going through her daily paces: dressing, cooking, polishing, churning, milking, mucking, etc. Wjhat with her home schooling and sacred duties she has little time to play, but manages to squeeze in some feminine recreation. Her mother worries that the girl will not learn to love her new father, whom Sarah earnestly tries to please. Mayhap he will make a stool for her to sit at table or a simple game or toy. This book also includes Notes about Sarah, Plimoth and Amelia--as well as recipes, riddles and rhymes, plus a glossary of unfamiliar words. A gentle, well-researched introduction to the lifestyle of child in New England’s first colony. Great for girls 6-10. IThere is also a companion book for Pilgrim boys.)
on November 24, 2015
Good book that gives understanding to what it could of been like in the 1620s. HIGHLY recommend a read and making it an addition to any unit or collection. The wording is bad. The pictures are great and the glossary is a nice touch too
on May 5, 2009
This series is very well done. It uses accurate photography to help the younger reader grasp Pilgrim life. It is especially appealing because it follows the life of a little girl. I have used this series many times with my elementary aged students and highly recommend it. The author uses period vocabulary, with a glossary in the back. It is an excellent resource.
on June 8, 2015
I bought this for my daughter for Thanksgiving. My Grandmother gave this to me when I was a young girl and I loved it so I bought a copy for my daughter and we love reading about the pilgrims and their lives before going to Plimoth Plantation for the tour (we live in Plymouth, MA).
on December 16, 2012
I might use this more with first and second graders, but either way, my Kindergarten son really enjoyed this book and it's counterpart (Samuel Eaton's Day). He enjoyed learning about a different culture and time. Great buy. Great story.