5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh riot
"Jesus is Magic" is one of the funniest films I've ever seen in my life. I laughed almost constantly throughout the whole thing, and so did my friend and everyone else in the small theater I saw it in.

Published on January 19, 2006 by Douglas King

Published on October 23, 2006 by K. Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh riot, January 19, 2006
Douglas King (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Essentially a concert film, "Jesus is Magic" also features a handful of musical numbers and "mockumentary" style scenes. You could make the argument that the musical numbers really weren't necessary, since Sarah's stand-up is so shockingly, insanely funny. But without the musical numbers, I would have missed out on Sarah singing "You're gonna die soon" to a group of senior citizens in a nursing home, or her holding the microphone up to her different orafices, all of which have different voices.

What I love about Sarah is that her comedy doesn't really seem to have any kind of agenda, other than to make you laugh hysterically as she constantly humiliates every ridiculous thing about our society.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Satirist or Offensive Nutjob: Thankfully, An Uneven Silverman Is Both, October 23, 2006
This review is from: Sarah Silverman - Jesus is Magic (DVD)
I happen to think Sarah Silverman is a very talented comedienne, and an eminently entertaining performer. Her deadly serious delivery of the most outrageously offensive material is her trademark. She conveys a certain sweetness and naivete, even as the most horrible things come out of her mouth. She can be provocative, controversial, button-pushing and brilliant. She is super intelligent and her social commentary, couched in very un-PC jokes, can be biting and relevant.

That said, I don't think "Jesus is Magic" is as wholly successful a film as I would have liked. Most of the standup material is good and biting--but be forewarned, it's adult stuff. If this were a concert film, I'd have been more inclined to a 4 or 4 1/2 star rating. Whether or not you think someone is funny is often a matter of personal taste and I like Silverman. There are plenty of other people who have made it huge that I have never thought were very interesting.

The more problematic aspects of this film, for me, is where she ventures into "bits." There are a couple of staged music video type numbers. Now, I love a good musical interlude as much as the next person and I was thrilled when these segments began. However, while there may have been a funny line or hook--the songs ultimately become repetitive and play out as one-note jokes. There also some backstage skits. Again, these provide some minor amusement but don't necessarily enhance the film.

If you're a Silverman fan, obviously you're going to watch this. If you like intelligently offensive comedy, I'd recommend this as well. As a Silverman supporter, I am hoping her next venture will be a little more cohesive. KGHarris, 10/06.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please enter a title for your review, October 7, 2006
This review is from: Sarah Silverman - Jesus is Magic (DVD)
Sarah Silverman takes comedy to a whole new level that makes everything else seem stale and conservative. She's a rare breed of comedian who, like Tom Green and Andy Kaufman, is more interested in consistently surprising her audience than in developing a rapport with them.
Most of her act involves making wide-eyed naive statements which treat irrational, and often offensive, beliefs as second nature and leave it up to you to conclude what the irrational belief behind the statement is, but she always finds a way to express it through using the kind of banal anecdotal approach a lot of comedians use to set up their jokes, so it catches you off-guard while also parodying conventional stand-up technique.
She does use shock value, but she has a uniquely clever way with twist punchlines. Like that one joke she does about licking jelly off her boyfriend. She starts out with the dirty part, and then uses the clean part, the common phrase the dirty part is playing off of ("oh my god i'm turning into my mother"), as the punchline. I think that's unprecedented. I mean tell me any other dirty joke with a twist punchline by any other comedian which starts out with the dirty part and uses the clean part as the punchline.
The comedic value of her material is really in the irrationality of the ideas she expresses. Like she has this one old bit which is like "I don't like going out to dance clubs. It's very embarassing for me. Because I tapdance." Most of her more recent offensive material works the same way, throwing in a twist punchline which reveals an amusingly irrational perspective, but the offensive material is open to a more superficial interpretation which disregards the cleverness of the context and sees her appeal as being merely her willingness to be outrageous. I think she's underselling herself by using shock value so much now. I like the way she uses it to play with people's irrational pavlovian responses though. Like if a particular word is considered offensive because it's something usually said with contempt, people will react to the word the same way even when they know it's not being said with contempt.
She's not like a lot of social critic comedians who only find fault with conservatives. If anything she seems to take an entirely outside perspective on humanity to better illuminate it's ridiculousness, and if you can't see humanity from that detached perspective yourself you're unlikely to get a lot out of her material. I guess it still works on the more superficial shock value level of just a cute girl saying messed up stuff, but I think there's a big line between people who like her act because they relate to her perspective and those who just like her material because they consider it so outrageous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Grace Rocks!, October 4, 2006
Joel Harding (Washington DC, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sarah Silverman - Jesus is Magic (DVD)
I expected Sarah's Silverman's movie to not be so much of her stage routines but anything involving Sarah is better than nothing. Be prepared to be shocked, be prepared to be rocked, but especially, be prepared to be asked to step outside the normal way you look at things and see life through Sarah's eyes. She uses racism as a way to make you think about racism, nobody is off-limits. I do not recommend this to my parents or anyone who isn't flexible in 'how' they think. Anyone who is willing to see the humor in life and living and how we all usually toe-the-line in our perspective will find this hilarious. The fact that Sarah puts together a visual comedy routine where, supposedly, all three of her orifices sing a trio in a perfect harmony of "Amazing Grace", is sheer genius and hilarious!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure genius!!!, January 16, 2008
This review is from: Sarah Silverman - Jesus is Magic (DVD)
I'm sure Jesus thanks you Sarah Silverman (even though a personal meeting with you would put His Second Coming Campaign in serious jeopardy). I bet Martin Luther King thanks you (even though his legacy is fictitiously tarnished). I bet even Hitler thanks you (given that he survived death and passed Essence of Humanity 101-doubtful). From start to finish this is a well crafted giant bong hit of subtle and outrageous humor, proving that Sarah Silverman could be a powerful force in television giving young people of today something to actually remember from their days before the universal babysitter, besides video games of course, duh!.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sarah Siverman is quite funny, but this needs more polishing, June 5, 2007
guillermoj (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sarah Silverman - Jesus is Magic (DVD)
I am a Sarah Siverman fan as she is one of very few comics, especially female, to let it all hang out and see what happens. Her dark humor may be very insulting to those who are easilt offended, but to me the more un-pc that she is, the funnier I find her.

While I did not see this with high expectations as I am not a huge fan of stand-up acts (which is what this piece is at its core), even those werer not fully met. Sarah is cute, funny, and her play on words would have made for a good 20 minute short. Instead we get over an hour of songs, skits, and other filler, to try and give it some air by getting out off the stage. Some stuff works, some works for a while, and some is just not funny.

If you are a fan, rent it and watch it with other Sarah fans, and you'll have on OK time. Now that Margaret Cho has become almost an irrelevant one trick pony, Sarah is one of the few truly funny females around who mixes it up. If anyone saw the 2007 MTV Movie Awards and found her funny, you could do much worse than seeing this as most "comedy" movies are just not very funny. Humor is hard work and Sarah is an impish little marvel who I'd love to see in a more fully realized vehicle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Songs are terrible, stand up is fabulous., May 23, 2007
This review is from: Sarah Silverman - Jesus is Magic (DVD)
I would've given this 5 stars, except Sarah Silverman's songs are horribly unfunny. They're not witty, the tunes are annoying, and there are too many of them. But her stand up itself is amazing. The girl's got wit and guts and her delivery is impeccable. I love her. I just wish she wouldn't sing...

4.0 out of 5 stars Sarah Silverman, September 22, 2009
This review is from: Sarah Silverman - Jesus is Magic (DVD)
If you have seen anything by Sarah and you have liked it you will like this. It's not everyone's bag. If you like American Idol and mainstream garbage you won't like it and you will be offended. If you are open minded you will get a kick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, April 29, 2009
J. Cortez (Pleasant Hill, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sarah Silverman - Jesus is Magic (DVD)
I dont review often, but I had to review this. Sarah Silverman is hilarious in her stand up. If you like racial jokes and think awkwardness is funny, than you should see this. She's awesome. WATCH IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly Funny, January 11, 2007
This review is from: Sarah Silverman - Jesus is Magic (DVD)
Ubiquitous bigotry has rarely been so hysterical. And when bigotry has no boundaries, doesn't that make it okay? Well, maybe not. But it's really, really funny. Do yourself a favor: watch this with a few friends. You'll be quoting lines for months.

Sarah Silverman - Jesus is Magic
Sarah Silverman - Jesus is Magic by Liam Lynch (DVD - 2006)
$60.00