Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sarajevo Daily: A City and Its Newspaper Under Siege
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on March 26, 1998
I served in Bosnia with IFOR from Jul to Dec 96, and visited Sarajevo. I wished I had known of this book before I went, because it was the best narrative of the war I have read. This book was superb because it helped me feel what the Sarajevans felt, and see through their eyes what life was like in their city during the long siege. It also helped me better understand the mixture of cultures that was so abhorent to the Serbs who tried to crush this wonderful city. I am truly glad they failed. Sarajevo today is a bustling thriving city, and it will triumph over the unconsciousable attempts of its enemies to destroy it. This is largely due to the courageous efforts of people like those who produced Sarajevo Daily.
on June 2, 2000
Having worked for IFOR and SFOR as an Army negotiator and now married to a Bosnian, I am compelled by appreciation to comment on the profound depth and accuracy Mr. Gjelten achieved in exposing the psyche and drama of this war through individuals he met there. Although the book centers on the newspaper and the city, it is also the story of most of Bosnia - the heroes, the villains, the heartbreak, the insanity, the desertion of life-long friends or spouses due to nationalism fueled by propaganda. Propaganda that generated fear and hatred. I have heard similar stories from other parts of Bosnia. To my knowledge, this is the only book that provides such a clear portrayal of the way it was (and in some ways, the way it still is). I am saddened that the book was not financially successful enough to remain in print. I would definitely recommend it to any persons, particularly Civil Affairs types, that go to Bosnia and deal one-on-one with the people there. I apologize that I have neglected to remark that Mr. Gjelten also wrote this book in a very readable style and he is an excellent story-teller. For me, it is one of those books that I will be reading repeatedly over time.