5.0 out of 5 stars Old School Entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Coolest feature can stop functioning easily
Published on June 16, 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Old School Entertainment, November 12, 2009
This review is from: Sassy Spin Shine Rattle Developmental Toy (Baby Product)
I bought this for my son when he was 3 months old. I love how easy it is for him to grasp the rings and skinny bar in the middle. The clear side of the rattle has a spinner in it with three different sides: a bullseye, a ladybug, and a mirror. I love twirling the spinner for my son. It's very relaxing to watch - almost hypnotic. This toy reminds me of the kind of stuff I had and loved as a baby. In the age of overstimulating toys, this one earns five stars from our family for being super inexpensive, captivating, and simple.

2.0 out of 5 stars Coolest feature can stop functioning easily, June 16, 2010
This review is from: Sassy Spin Shine Rattle Developmental Toy (Baby Product)
The coolest feature of this is the spinner inside the clear bubble that spins as its axle rolls around its contact with the inside of the sphere. Unfortunately, the material or construction quality isn't perfect - on the unit I got, one of the stickers on the spinning fin faces came off by itself soon after unpackaging, making it spin no more; and it's not something you can stick back on because the spinner is sealed inside the sphere.

So if you buy it, keep all packaging materials in case this happens to you so you can repack perfectly and return it without a hassle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect First Toy, April 9, 2010
This review is from: Sassy Spin Shine Rattle Developmental Toy (Baby Product)
This was the first toy our little boy had. When he was just a few weeks old, he loved watching us spin the top. As he started being able to grasp things, he was able to hold on to the little rings before he was able to grasp any other toys. And now, at 7 months, he loves making the top spin himself and shaking the toy to make a rattle. Definitely a keeper, especially for the price!

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall Good, some bad design choices, November 2, 2011
This review is from: Sassy Spin Shine Rattle Developmental Toy (Baby Product)
Our son (4 months) likes this rattle, and is just now starting to hold it and gum it (after a month of not being too interested). There are some things you need to know before ordering - this is not designed like a traditional 'rattle'. Although the clear end has a spinning elemenet that is neat, the rubber end does not actually rattle, the sound is made from the three rings hitting the handle and each other, and therein lies the problem. When the child is holding the rattle (see the second half of my review for problems holding), there is no rattle, which defeats the purpose a little.

On that point, the space left in the middle (what I call the handle?) is too little for even a 3-month-old to grip, ie: their palm is wider than the space. I ended up cutting off one of the rings with bolt cutters and it's much better, but still doesn't rattle when held by the middle. If the toy is intended to be held by the ends (which are roughly the size of ping-pong balls), then the ends are too big for little hands.

With all that said, he does like to pick it up and try to chew on it, so we'll keep it around, but I will need to buy a more traditional rattle to teach cause-and-effect when he's gripping the toy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect first rattle for baby!, March 10, 2010
Markella Evia (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sassy Spin Shine Rattle Developmental Toy (Baby Product)
I bought this for my baby when he was 2 months old.
It is a perfect rattle that touches on developmental
milestones. The baby LOVES the spinning reflective piece.
Easy to hold, very tactile and good size.
HIGHLY RECOMMEND

2.0 out of 5 stars Too heavy for little hands, August 27, 2011
This review is from: Sassy Spin Shine Rattle Developmental Toy (Baby Product)
This rattle looks really cool but it's heavy and my daughter has dropped it on her face more than once causing the expected tears. I see that others rated it very highly so I guess we're just in the minority in our disappointment.

3.0 out of 5 stars BONK, April 25, 2013
This review is from: Sassy Spin Shine Rattle Developmental Toy (Baby Product)
Poor baby's head. This is too heavy for baby to hold, and the material is too hard. The pole in the middle is too short. I don't think this was very well designed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange Rattle, January 15, 2013
mimi (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sassy Spin Shine Rattle Developmental Toy (Baby Product)
This was the 1st toy I bought for my baby. I bought it because I thought I could use the black and white ball as an eye tracking toy. It doesn't really captivate his attention enough to track with his eyes. As for the spinner, I had no idea it was a spinner until a couple of weeks later. You have to hold it at a certain angle for it to spin and when it stops spinning, you just keep changing the angle slightly for it to spin some more. Pretty impossible for an infant to do but I sure have fun playing with it! If I spin it for him, he kinda started noticing it now at 3 months but doesn't really interest him for more than a few seconds. As for the rattle part, yeah, that is confusing too. How is the baby supposed to hold the handle when the rings are in the way? The ball is too big and heavy for them to hold to shake it as well. I guess that's the job of the parent. So in conclusion, this rattle seems like the parents have to do all the work in terms of spinning, moving the ball for tracking and shaking for the rattle part. I guess there's nothing wrong with that if it is a toy for an infant and they can't really do it themselves yet. This is the strangest toy I have purchased. I wish it came with better instructions as to how to use it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not practical for a baby, December 27, 2012
This review is from: Sassy Spin Shine Rattle Developmental Toy (Baby Product)
The rattle is very pretty and interesting to look at but it's heavy and the round part is not good for their teeth since babies put everything in their mouths. She hit herself on the head many times so I have to monitor her with this toy. But she likes looking at the toy.

2.0 out of 5 stars good design but too heavy for a baby to hold and play, October 10, 2011
This review is from: Sassy Spin Shine Rattle Developmental Toy (Baby Product)
first, it is larger and heavier that I thought and def too large and heavy for a newborn (my husband and I tried hitting our heads with it like babies do with most toys and it really hurt!). the instruction on the packaging said it was for the parents to hold and move it in front of the baby's eyes. so I did, and altough the spinning element does not always spin well (it is not fixed, so you have to move the whole thing for it to get into the right position to spin freely) when it did and my girl saw the shiny mirror she beamed! that happened two or three times but I guess she soon got bored and later on she would just look at it indifferently. what's worse - since it takes effort to make the spinning element spin (I hold the bar between my thumb and middle and/or index finger(s) and rotate it) it fell out of my hand once on the baby. luckily it did not hit her on the head or anything but I am reluctant to use the toy since. and second, it does not rattle (the sound of three plastic rings clashing does not count). it is a shame, since the design and concept are really nice!

Sassy Spin Shine Rattle Developmental Toy