Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 28, 2006
"Satch and Me" is Dan Gutman's latest novel in the "Baseball Card Adventures" series. Once again, Stosh travels back in time to meet a baseball player. This time, he travels to 1942 to meet Satchel Paige.

Joe Stoshack ("Stosh") and his coach Flip are researching pitching statistics. They learn that Paige was a great pitcher in his time. Stosh and Flip use a Satchel Paige postcard to travel back to 1942 when Paige played. They want to use a radar gun to accurately measure the speed of Satch's pitches.

Stosh and Flip discover that it's not as easy as they expected to find out how fast Satch threw the ball. They time him at 99 mph with the radar gun, but Satch is confident that he can throw a faster pitch. Stosh and Flip try twice more to measure Satch's pitches, but something goes wrong both times.

In the end, Stosh has to return home to the present in Louisville without getting an accurate measurement of Satch's pitches. But the trip back to 1942 was still a success. Flip's life is never the same after the visit with Satchel Paige!

I enjoyed "Satch and Me" for several reasons, but the most important reason is that most of the action in the story involves baseball. Most people who like the sport would probably enjoy reading this book. I especially liked this novel because Satchel Paige was a pitcher, and I am a pitcher for my baseball team. I was surprised to find out that pitchers in the 1940s had the same kind of speed that pitchers do today. I used to think that pitchers back then could only throw about 50 miles per hour.

Read this book! You'll be glad you did.
on June 3, 2014
Again Joe Stosh travels back in time to 1942 to give kids the opportunity to learn about Satch, possibly the fastest pitcher of all time in the Negro League World Series. And it was interesting to learn that the speed of his fast ball matches his character--fast talker, fast car driver, and more.
Using his magic baseball card as a platform, Joe Stosh gives kids a baseball adventure filled with excitement, drama, action, and lots of surprises. Wow! I can't stop reading it.
Dan Gutman takes kids back in time to share some baseball history with one of the greatest athletes, Satchel Paige, that ever put on a baseball uniform to thrill baseball fans of all ages. Without giving away my age I can still recall watching Satch pitching for the White Sox at Comiskey Park. I like this story and encourage every youngster interested in baseball to read it and I give it 5 stars. Marvin P. Ferguson, author of THE UNKNOWN BASEBALL PLAYER.
on March 11, 2014
Man I am glad that all that segregation BS disappeared in my lifetime! I saw Satchel once do a pitching exhibition during a Globetrotters' game, where he even pitched a basketball with deadly accuracy and speed. In this book you can learn about the Negro Leagues (there were two) and some of the players in them. Satchel, of course, who did go on to "the show" eventually, but also greats such as Josh Gibson, who never did make it because he died ten months before Jackie Robinson was called. That is a terrible shame. Josh and Satch were friends, and also rivals in baseball. The meeting recounted in this book is so outrageous that, frankly, it could never happen in major league ball. But it really did happen, and I wish *I* could travel back in time because I'd love to see it! You won't believe how Satch messed with Josh's mind. Thing is, according to the author, the dialogue all comes from Satchel's own notes, so all I can saw is "Wow!" Buy it, you'll like it.
on July 17, 2015
My students love Dan Gutman books and love this series of Historic Fiction! They are mostly read by the boys in my classroom, but there are always a few girls that will pick them up. Dan Gutman books are great!
on December 14, 2012
This book is one of the greatest books in the series! I have read all of the books in the series except Ted and Me so I probably know which is best. I read this book in 1 day because I was so eager to keep on reading. I would recommend Satch and Me to anyone. It also has an amazing amount of facts. I hope you thought this review was helpful!
on October 30, 2014
“You wanna know who threw the fastest pitch ever?”

The plot is about a boy named Joe Stoshack and his baseball coach named Flip Valentini and they were wondering who was the fastest pitcher ever. So, they went to see Satch and how fast he could pitch. When they went through time Flip changed from 72 years old to 18 years old and he met a girl named Laverene. They tried to go see Satch but realized they didn't have a car so they hitchhiked. All of a sudden they got a ride from somebody but they didn't know who. It was Satch himself and he was heading to Pittsburgh. First, Satch had to playa game with the Stars against the Clowns. Flip got to do a fun part in that game. After that game they went to Pittsburgh to see how fast Satch could pitch. After the game they got a pleasant surprise from a friend.

The three main characters were Joe Stoshack, Flip Valentini, and Satch. Joe is a 13 year old boy that lives in Louisville, Kentucky. He plays little league baseball and he has a power that he can travel through time with baseball cards and sometimes pictures. Flip is a 72 year old man that is Joe’s little league coach. He forgets a lot of things and he works at a little card shop in Louisville, Kentucky and he also lives there. Satch is a baseball player that played in the Negro league and was a pitcher. He was one of the best pitchers ever. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame. He is about 36 years old and he played for the Stars and the Kansas City Monarchs.

The theme is don’t underestimate them even if they have a different color skin then you because they might be better than you.

I would recommend this book to a lot of people. If you like baseball or want to learn more a about baseball you should read this book. I have read other books from Dan Gutman and I realized he is a great author and writes great books. So, if you do like sports and want to learn more about the past then go get this awesome book!
on June 19, 2015
A great book, but if you are careful about what you let your kids read like me, there are several inappropriate sections laced in between a fantastic story. Just a couple of the parts that irritated me were a kid checking out a waitress and referring to her as a "hot waitress", and words like "damn", "moron", etc.
on November 3, 2006
My 12 year old son refuses to read much of anything these days. He is very into sports and I discovered this book is one that he WANTED to read. The book is apparently quite exciting and engaging because he actually asked me for the others in the series!

I only wish there were more!
on March 4, 2007
Satch and Me is a great sciencefiction book out of Gutman's series of "and me" books. If your child is a sports maniac you should get him or her the series. It was one of the best series I ever read.
on April 26, 2014
These books are smart and engaging, especially in a house where everyone is obsessed with baseball! My kids enjoyed them and learned a lot.