Size Name: 4USB Black
Update 3-26-2013:
Since I was asked this question I wanted to respond that both the 10-Port USB 3.0 hub and the 4-Port Portable USB 3.0 hub by Satechi use the GL3520 88PIN chipset which is certified by Microsoft Windows 8 Hardware Certification.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a nice USB 3.0 port multiplier and it works well in some applications. You really need to understand the limitations of such devices when using it with your computer and external devices. A port multiplier splits the communication rate and power from the USB port to allow it to be shared with the four ports on the hub. In the case of power, a USB 2.0 port can supply 500 milliamps of power and a USB 3.0 port can supply 900 milliamps that will be split 4 ways if you have four devices plugged in.

If your devices are self-powered by their own power supplies you should have no problems. Devices like printers, scanners and some USB Hard disk drives (With external power supplies) are examples of this. In my testing I used a USB powered hard disk drive (HDD) and three USB memory sticks. When I plugged in the port expander all four devices where present in my computer drive list and I could write to each drive one at a time.

In the example I used for testing, all four devices require power from the USB port to operate and as a result issues occurred. Low power can result in memory loss or the improper writing and reading of data. Using one of these devices or two worked but then it is not a fully functional port multiplier if the power requirements exceed the power capabilities of your computer's USB port like when I was trying to use 3 or 4 devices simultaneously. Had I used my example of a self-powered scanner, printer, a USB HDD with a power supply and a memory stick then all would have been working fine.

The unit is nicely designed and lightweight for portability weighing only 2 ¾ ounces. It comes with a USB cable attached that is 12 inches in length. This allows you to locate the hub away from the computer a reasonable distance if you need to. The short length makes it easy to carry for a laptop but if you use it for a desktop or a tower computer then the cable may be just a bit short.

In my testing I also plugged the devices directly into the computer's USB 3.0 port and then into the Satechi 4 port multiplier. All of the devices operated faster when plugged into the computer.

Patriot Magnum USB memory stick
* Computer port speed 29 MB/s
USB powered HDD
* hub port speed 25.1 MB/s
* computer port speed 31.1 MB/s

Overall this is a good product and it did perform better than other unpowered port multipliers that I have tested. It communicated a bit faster and all four devices I show in the video were accessible on my computer. On some hub adapters that I have tested the external HDD would not even boot up unless plugged in by itself. Without the ability to add additional power supply the unit does have its limitations. I could read and write to one device at a time but when I tried to do this simultaneously with multiple devices then I had problems. This company does also make a powered 10 port hub that comes with an additional power supply. The tenth port can be used to power your Apple iPad at 2.1 Amps. Here is a link to that product.

Satechi 10-Port USB 3.0 Hub (9 Port USB 3.0 + 1 iPad Charging Port) 5 Volt, 5 Amp

I do a lot of work with a camera and as a result I could plug in multiple memory sticks and camera memories and they all require power. The key is to know what the power requirements are of your USB devices. Also you have to understand that the communication speeds are shared with one hub so if every item is trying to read or write at the same time then the communication rates are also reduced and you will experience far less than the 5 Gb/s communication rate on each individual USB device plugged into the hub. This is shown in my testing data listed above.

I still rate this item as a 5 star item as it is the best that I have tested so far for an unpowered hub. Just be aware of its limitations and think through your application and identify what types of devices you are going to hook up to this port multiplier.

I was provided a sample for test and evaluation and I promised to provide a fair and honest review.
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 26, 2013
Size Name: 3USB+1EthernetVerified Purchase
I needed a USB hub and a Ethernet adapter for my Surface Pro. I searched for a USB3.0 one that provides a Gigabit connection and fast transfer rate with my USB devices. That already reduce the number of available products. If you search for a compact one, that only give you few choices.

The Satechi Hub and Ethernet adapter fulfill all these criteria. And it's plug and play, nothing to install to get the network adapter working (yet a CD and a download link is included for the drivers). I didn't tested the performance limit, but I didn't experienced any network disconnection, and the USB transfer rate between my tablet and my Sandisk Extreme key seemed to be as fast as if the key was directly connected.
I only experienced problem while running a Virtual Machine from my USB key and using my mouse (Logitech Unify USB receiver): the mouse cursor was shaky or sometimes hung for few seconds which is really annoying. I'm not sure it comes from the device or is inherent to the USB protocol. I can still use the touch screen of the tablet.
At this price, I give it 5 stars.

Shipping was as fast as possible (considering the Labor day), packaging was perfectly protecting the device, customer service responded quickly to my inquiries.
Size Name: 3USB+1Ethernet
I just got a new 2013 Macbook Pro and I love it ... but I wish they hadn't removed the Ethernet port. I tend to go mostly wireless, but sometimes it really helps to have a hard signal.

This is a nice solution. It allows me to plug an ethernet cord into my USB 3.0 ports.

Of course, there are only two of those on my Macbook Pro, so that might be something to worry about - except that this also includes 3 extra USB 3.0 ports. So I can enjoy the benefits of Ethernet, while leaving room to charge a device and plug in a couple of external hard drives while I'm at it.

Caveat: to make this work, you do have to install a driver. It comes on a mini disc that comes with the adapter ... of course another problem with the new Macbook Pros is that they did away with the disc drives. Even my older Macbook Pro wouldn't have played a mini disc. You need something with a tray that slides out so you can fit it on the spindle. I have an external Blu-Ray burner, though, so I used that. If you didn't have that, you could plug the disc into another computer and then copy the driver and transfer it via thumb drive. It would be nice if Satechi made the driver available for download on their website, but as of the time I'm writing this review it isn't there. So the only way to make this work is to have a way to get the mini disc to deliver the driver. (I was given a sample unit by the manufacturer for the purpose of testing and review.)

Update: I checked back on Satechi's website after I had written this review, and now the drivers that make this work are up and available on its product page. There are links for Mac, Linux and Windows versions of the driver.
on May 23, 2013
Size Name: 4USB BlackVerified Purchase
In the past I have had problems with USB 3.0 hubs attached to my iMac (latest generation). When powered external hard drives were connected, they were sometimes mounted and sometimes not. The connection, once mounted, was unstable.

I have had absolutely no problems with this hub on the iMac. Two powered external hard drives are always available and sustain extended transfers with no dropouts. All additional usb devices I have connected temporarily have worked without a problem.
on August 23, 2013
Size Name: 4USB BlackVerified Purchase
Most people need to understand, this is a bus powered hub. This mean's it's for on the go. I keep it in my laptop bag. At home I have another USB 3.0 hub which is powered by a DC cable that plugs in the wall. This type of hub is made for on the go, where you can't plug it into a wall outlet. So, it's not really made for power, but more so you can plug multiple things in at once. I have plugged multiple hard drives in it, and more and it worked fine. The speed might not be as fast as at home, when I'm on a powered hub, but this is better than carrying around a powered hub and having to find a place to plug it up on the go. And if the stuff you're using doesn't require much power, this product will work fine.

I use this with a macbook pro.
on April 9, 2014
Size Name: 4USB BlackVerified Purchase
Great product and it's nice and small. Handy for using embroidery software dongle, embroidery stick and trackball all at once.
on February 28, 2014
Size Name: 3USB+1EthernetVerified Purchase
I have a Microsoft Surface Pro which only comes with 1 USB port. This enabled me to expand it to 3 ports. It was very easy to set up. When I had trouble locating the drivers for the Ethernet port, the seller contacted me within 24 hours and provided a link. Very good customer service.
on December 25, 2013
Size Name: 4USB BlackVerified Purchase
I bought this immediately after buying my Surface Pro since it only has one USB 3.0 port.

This works easily and still supplies enough power to use multiple flash drives and even a USB hard drive. Note, the ports are spaced enough apart for thin USB accessories, but some wide/large flash drives may not fit adjacent to each other.

This is a must-have if you've got an ultrabook or similar device that has limited USB 3.0 ports. This plus a MS Surface Touch mouse and Type Keyboard make my Surface Pro a compact, go-anywhere productivity machine.
on November 24, 2014
Size Name: 4USB BlackVerified Purchase
This thing NEVER worked. Well that's not quite true - it worked in my USB 2 port. Sadly I could never get it to work on either of my USB 3 ports. It would power one device (a thumbdrive or a mouse bluetooth connector or a powered USB printer), but never more than one at a time. And if I plugged the mouse connector into it, there was some kind of interference that would keep the mouse jerking around on the screen whenever I tried to use it. (Took me several days to figure out the hub was the problem with the mouse.) Contacted Satechi and they wanted me to update my USB 3 drivers (were already up to date) and then wanted me to try this port, then that port and plugging this in here and that in there. I finally gave up and stopped wasting their time and mine. So it sits in a box getting dusty. I switched back to my $3 USB 2 hub until that finally died after 2 years of perfect use and recently bought a Sabrent 4-port USB 3 hub to replace that (which has been working perfectly since day one). Avoid this product. It's junk.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 26, 2014
Size Name: 3USB+1EthernetVerified Purchase
I found it has serious compatibility issues with the logitech wireless mouse G700 receiver which I plug in the hub. The computer I use is Macbook Pro with Retina Display late 2013 and it never goes hot or freeze. However, after I use the hub, the CPU load went up to 100% and the fans went from 1300rpm to more than 4000rpm. The laptop freeze and I could not even check the acidity monitor, which is really unusual for Mac OS. After I unplug the receiver, it is very hot which never the case before. And after I plug the receiver directly to the usb port on the laptop itself instead of the hub, everything goes back to normal.
I think there is something wrong with the hub or its drivers(not the one in the disc or from the website for Ethernet settings). Although it does not require a driver to use the ports no the hub. BTW, the ethernet does work but would disconnected every now and then. This is a minor problem compared to what I mentioned before.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations