Size Name: USB 3.0
I purchased this to supplement the 2 USB ports on my macbook pro. I always want to have my iPhone cable, iPod shuffle cable, external drive, and occasionally a flash drive attached to my computer. Before a hub, this was not possible.

I've been looking for a hub that matches my unibody aluminum Mac's and this is near perfect. Although it is slightly thicker than I would have liked, it works flawlessly and I've grown past the size issue. For a lot of hubs that I have had in the past, I complained about the LED lighting being way too bright. This hub does not suffer that problem. As you can see in my video, when the lights are out, the LED is not much brighter than the backlit keyboard. If you're okay with that amount of light protruding from your computer during dark hours, you won't mind the brightness of the LED's in the USB hub.

One thing that you will immediately notice upon opening the box is the quality! This cord is really thick, yet pliable, thus allowing long-standing durability while maintaining a large amount of flexibility.

This is a hub that will stay with me for a long time and I defenetly recommend it to anyone looking for a simple solution that does not need a powered hub.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: USB 3.0
This is a nice-looking and easy-to-use accessory for almost any laptop, but works great with my Macbook Pro. I love my new Macbook Pro, and love that it's got a faster USB format than my older one - but I don't like the fact that I've only got two plugs, one on either side.

I need to charge and connect with lots of USB devices, and this allows me to do that.

Use: just plug it in to one of your USB 3.0 ports (it is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 but of course you won't get faster speeds like that. One thing I worried about was whether splitting the port between four devices would slow each down - but in my experience it is really the device that limits speed. For example, I've got a variety of USB 3.0 external hard drives, and each one has its own speed, and none of them approach the theoretical 5GB/s transfer speeds that Mac says the USB 3.0 port can reach. I have one device that, when plugged in alone, transfers at about 65 MB/s, and another that when plugged in alone transfers at about 95 MB/s. I tried plugging both in to this hub and put one to work transferring some very large files and then used a software program (Blackmagic Disk Speed Test) to test the speed of the other one, and I found in both cases that the speed was almost identical to what it had been when I plugged it in alone. That suggests to me that this device doesn't slow anything down and the limit is in the devices themselves. Of course that would be different if any of my devices actually approached the 5GB/s limit of the actual port on my machine.

Design: it has the same silvery aluminum finish as the Macbook Pro, and looks nice on my desk. It also stands on its own, and the tilt in the design makes it easy to plug in a variety of devices. I have a few other ports that face up directly and they often don't lay flat when I have a few devices plugged into them. They tend to tilt, and this has a tilt built in.

I like the simplicity of this one. Just plug it in and it works. Unlike some other ports I've tried, you don't need to plug this in independently to its own power source.

(I was provided with a sample of this product for purposes of testing and review.)
on December 27, 2013
Size Name: USB 3.0
I can't say enough good things about this hub! It is a really well thought out, well designed and well executed product from Satechi. I know it is just a hub BUT it does what it is supposed to do, looks great and has some features that a lot of hubs don't have but probably should have. There is a lot more going on here instead of just adding 3 USB ports to your system folks...
Let's start off with the looks...this products looks like how a 4 port hub would look as if it was designed by Apple. As such, it blends in seamlessly with their product line. If you own an Apple or like how their products look than this is the hub you should get...end of story. If you don't like Apple or the way their stuff looks than read on...the other features of this hub might pull you in.

PROS
*Attractive, stylish appearance
*Quick access - the ports are angled at 45 degrees which makes them a lot easier to plug and unplug devices into all day long
*Sturdy, shielded cable for safe and secure data transfer
*Windows and Mac compatible
*Faint blue LED when plugged in helps users find ports at night
*My favorite feature is the large, high-friction rubber pad which covers the bottom of the device. This makes this device literally stick to your desktop surface and makes plugging and unplugging USB devices very easy.
*USB 3.0 - Super fast, if you haven't experienced USB 3.0 yet you are missing out, it's crazy fast like 100 MB/sec
*No loss in fidelity - I tested reads and writes on a USB 3.0 portable hard drive and found no loss in speeds - this device can do Reads at 108 MB/s and Writes at 100 MB/s.
*Aluminum, so it can take some abuse if you are a traveler - not plastic
*USB ports connected nicely with Apple cords, Android cords, thumb drives, etc...I have had problems with some manufacturers ports so I thought I would throw this out there

CONS
*Little larger than I expected, that's about it
*I don't like how the blue LED stays on all the time even when my computer is turned off (iMac)
*No ON-OFF button which would be really nice to have

FEATURES I WOULD LIKE TO SEE
*A way to turn off the blue LED if so desired - some people playing games or watching movies on their computer might want this to be off and a switch is an easy way to accomplish this
*If you stack the ports you could cut the device size in half

If you are an Apple fan, than this is your hub. If you are not an Apple fan, if you can live with the looks you will get a highly functional hub that sticks to your desk and will let you push and pull USB cords in and out all day long with no problem.

A sample was provided to me by the manufacturer for a fair and honest review.
on January 23, 2014
Size Name: USB 3.0Verified Purchase
The design and look of the Satechi 4-Port 3.0 USB hub is very nice, however it has very limited use as designed. Unless you want the hub to stand right next to your laptop/computer you're out of luck as any USB extension cable renders the non-powered hub useless. I am very disappointed about this fact. The attached cable is too short and honestly should be removable, but is fixed to the unit. Having an optional power adapter (located in back, not on the side like the 7-Port hub) would have been a nice option. So right now I am using the Satechi 4-Port USB hub as a "door stop" for my mouse cable. Also, the blue lighting that surrounds each port is VERY ANNOYING. Technically there is only one blue LED light that is directed to each opening, but if you sit at the wrong angle it will "blind" you, especially at night. Shame, this could have been a really good product.

Update (01-24-14): Satechi tech support emailed me with a link to their 6.5ft high speed extension cable. It's a little longer than I need, but if it works then I'll update this review at that time. Crossing my fingers!

Update (01-30-14): I just received the Satechi USB 3.0 Extension Cable today and connected my Satechi 4-Port 3.0 USB hub to my late 2013 iMac. Initially my computer would not detect any USB device connected to the 4-Port hub, however I decided to try another USB connection on the back of my iMac and Walla... Everything works! I am now VERY happy with my setup, especially since the Satechi 4-Port hub works so well aesthetically, much better looking than anything else on the market in my opinion. I was still very annoyed about the blue LED lighting, so much so I decided to open up the 4-Port hub while waiting on the cable to arrive and found that there are actually 3 little LEDs that glow obnoxiously bright inside the case, not one big one like I had originally thought. The blue light is so annoying I decided to risk damaging my 4-Port hub by disabling the LEDs. It's relatively easy to do. This is the reason for only 4 stars... Those blue LED lights are just too bright!
Size Name: USB 3.0
I have way too many USB peripherals, and I never seem to have enough free USB ports on my computers. I am primarily a Mac user, and have, among other things a MacBook Air. This computer in particular is severely deficient when it comes to the availability of USB ports. The latest model of that computer comes with two USB 3 ports and one Thunderbolt port. This is sufficient if you are traveling or have just a few devices that need connecting, but since MacBook Air has very limited specs (relatively small HDD and no CD/DVD drive) I end up using those ports at home quite a bit. I’ve used a few USB 3 hubs so far. There are quite a few of them out there, including one from Satechi, that use an external power source for powering the USB devices, which makes them less than ideal for traveling purposes.

This Satechi 4 port hub pretty much resolved all of my misgivings about USB 3 hubs. It is very compact, and it looks right in place next to my MacBook Air. The design itself is pretty innovative, as well as functional. The slanted front face makes it easy to plug and unplug your USB devices. The hub is definitely USB 2 back compatible. The hub is pretty lightweight, but it’s not quite as elegant as the Apple devices – its plasticky parts don’t feel quite as flush and sturdy.

When it comes to performance, I was pretty pleased with this hub. It achieved the advertised USB 3 transfer rates, even when I used it to connect to a couple of separate devices. If the data transfer performance is your main criterion for choosing a USB hub then this Satechi hub will definitely meet your needs.

Overall, I find this to be a pretty well designed and effective USB 3 hub.
on March 17, 2014
Size Name: USB 3.0Verified Purchase
Not sure why I waited so long. This is amazing. Quality construction, good size and looks Apple'ish. No longer do I have to unplug depending on what I want to do. Now I can have my FitBit connector, my external drive, my Superdrive and my iPhone cord ready to go.
on December 31, 2013
Size Name: USB 3.0
This review is by: iTechWorld11, check out my full video review at (itechworld11.com) or (youtube.com/itechworld11)

As with any other USB hub, this is very simple. This is a pretty small (~3.5"x1.5"x1.5") device that has four nicely spread out USB ports, so you won't run into many problems with oversized USB ports. It's also pretty fast, because it is USB 3.0.

The coloring is aluminum, however the hub itself is made of plastic. It's pretty light so it'll move around on a desk a little, even with the sticky bottom surface. That's one small complaint. Another small complaint would be the fact that the USB cord is pretty short (for me anyway) at about 9". I ended up ordering an AmazonBasics 6' USB 3.0 extension cable for about $5 which fixed my problem.

So overall, it's a little pricey (at about $29.99 at the time of this review), and it moves around a bit on my desk, but besides that it's a great looking and very fast performing hub. (And it matched my iPhone/MacBook Pro's aluminum coloring).

Check out (itechworld11.com) or (youtube.com/itechworld11) for a full video review!
on April 15, 2014
Size Name: USB 3.0Verified Purchase
I wish it had a longer cable so I could hide the entire further away from the laptop. But it is working as advertised and is nicer looking than my old USB 2.0 hub.
on April 12, 2014
Size Name: USB 3.0Verified Purchase
Does exactly what it is supposes to do. Looks very nice. Will charge a phone but not an external DVD drive. I have connected an external WD Passport drive, an iPhone, external speakers, and a flash drive. I use it with my MacBook Pro.
on April 5, 2014
Size Name: USB 3.0Verified Purchase
I purchased this hub, and have had it about a week now. I purchased it to compliment my new mac mini I just purchased. I wanted to make sure I had enough hubs for all of my devices. Right now I have my old mouse, keyboard, and printer, plugged into the hub, and all of those devices are working as they should. I haven't plugged my iPhone, or iPod into the hub to sync them because I prefer to plug them directly into the mac mini, but I'm sure it would work fine for those as well. Now, with regards to the blue lights behind the USB ports, they're not that bright! If you read some of these other peoples reviews on here about the hubs lighted ports, you would think that you would need to wear a welders mask while you work around this thing! This simply is not the case. The lights don't put out any more light then say a power indicator light on a laptop, or a power button on a nearby printer. If you are looking for a decent 3.0 USB Hub, and don't need a power one, then this will work fine. Don't worry about the lighted USB ports. It's really not that serious. One more thing, this hub only sync devices, but doesn't charge them. If you want something that will both work to sync devices, and charge them, then perhaps look at Satechi's powered USB hubs. Great product so far!! I'm happy!!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations