Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

on May 19, 2011
Both charger and adapter arrived in a timely fashion. The charger itself is smaller than I expected, even from the picture, and if you are looking for a minimalist charger that effectively converts the 12v port in your car into a nearly flush USB charging port, this is it. The high-current charging adapter for tablets is also slightly smaller than the adapters sold by Edo Supply on EBay (barely larger than a USB plug), but works just as well on a Samsung Galaxy Tab, which I verified as fast-charging in my car (though I am guessing still not at the maximum charging rate, see below). The adapter is also still functional when used with other high-amperage chargers.

The only real complaints I have with this product are that 1) it only has the one USB port, and 2) the spec says this is only a 1.2A charger, though that is at least enough to get the Galaxy Tab to increase charge with the screen at full brightness and the GPS and data connections running. I eventually replaced the charger with a much bulkier one that had both a 2.1A output and a (standard) 0.5A output because I wanted the ability to charge two devices at once and maximize charging current more than I wanted the low-profile design, but I kept using the Satechi adapter to be able to get my tablet to recognize the high-current port on the other charger at all (the Edo adapters were thick enough to block the second port). Note that I am relying on stated specs for this; I did not actually perform charge time experiments on both chargers.

Wishlist: the ability to purchase the adapter separately from the charger, as it has a very nice form factor and works perfectly. A fifth star would have been awarded if the charger itself had 2A output and a second port, even if it had become slightly thicker as a result.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 21, 2012
Bought this and an Amzer Micro USB Retractable Data Cable to use as a car charger for my new Samsung Galaxy SIII. Dont have any specs to post, but I can't tell a charge time difference between the fast times I get at home and using this unit. Perfect!

The smart converter that comes with the unit is simply a USB extender that plugs into the back of the unit. I assume it crosses/connects some of the conductor wires to simulate a different/faster type of charger. Look around on amazon and you will find some people modifying their chargers to accomplish this same task. Handy and elegant to have this available out of the box with a simple little plug.

Pros:
Fast Charging
Silver part of the unit is a heavy duty handle that swings out to pull the unit from the car lighter
included "Smart Converter" see above
cool led color changing light

Cons:
LED light is a bit bright when it turns green at night, but I dim my dash lights anyway, so thats probably just me.
on March 26, 2013
I have only had this charger for one day, so I will update the review in 6-12 months once I see how well it holds up over time. As for right now? I have nothing negative to say about it. The low profile is near perfect, the construction seems solid for what it is, no problems people mentioned about overheating or blowing a fuse, and it looks pretty good for a $10 charger.

Now... the important parts. These points are particularly important if your smartphone has trouble with charge speed / efficiency while using a car charger:

1. 1.2A Power - 2.1A would have been nice, but it's more than enough to keep up with my GNex.
2. The included "Smart Converter." This solves a problem so many smartphone owners experience. By effectively shorting the data lines in the charging cable, it puts the phone in "AC Mode." Without this Smart Converter, the phone stays in USB mode and charges vastly slower, no matter how much power your source is outputting. If you've ever connected your phone to a PC, you know how slowly it charges in USB Mode. The Smart Converter can even be used with PC USB ports and USB chargers.

I've tried other chargers that don't "trick" the phone into AC Mode and they don't provide enough power to keep up with a GNex running GPS and 4G. I tested this charger / converter combo tonight on my way home from Wegmans. Here are the results:

- In 18 minutes, the battery gained 8%
- The phone was running Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, and 4G. Screen sleep was disabled and Ingress was actively running the whole time.

That's good enough for me to be happy with this product for $10. If it fails in the first few months, I'd probably even give it one or two more tries before deciding it's junk and changing this review.
on May 4, 2012
I used the Satechi 2412ST adapter on an international flight in April 2012. The product is lightweight & compact and sits nearly flush to the DC socket when inserted. There's a pull-down ring (the silver piece in the picture)to assist in pulling the charger out of the socket when needed. I didn't need it, but your mileage will vary. There is a small LED light on the face of the charger (near the USB socket), and it lights up to know electricity is flowing. It's not so bright that it would be distracting during night driving (in my opinion). Nicely executed product that just works.

I used the charger on my iPad2 and (separately) my Droid 2 Global phone without any problems. The charge was similar to plugging the devices in using their natural adapters, even on the iPad2 (so I will assume the output is the 2.1 amps as stated on the product description).

All-in-all I am happy with the product. Quick shipping via Amazon Prime was definitely a plus as well.
on August 23, 2013
As much as I LOVE Amazon, the one downside is that you don't always know if you're getting the actual product that's listed. With numerous sellers running about, sometimes you can get a fake or phony. However, the seller I got this item from WAS Satechi, so that leads me to feel pretty safe giving it a bad review.

There's not much to say. The item is well-designed, but it seems poorly manufactured. I was very excited about it. It was actually a replacement to another charger that broke, and it seemed like an upgrade more than a replacement. It is low profile, doesn't have any wild, gaudy LEDs (just a subtle logo that lights up), and it has a convenient little handle.

All that to say... none of it matters when the item breaks less than a month after using it. Even worse– I rarely touched it (i.e. I wasn't plugging and unplugging it; it simply sat in my car's socket). When I went to remove it one, it feel to pieces. The little "head ring" broke off, and the metal conductor cap came free. There was no way to use it anymore. Just like that, it was kaput! And... just like that, it gets two stars from me.

I uploaded images of the broken unit, and here are links to two other chargers that I ordered:

- Griffin Powerjolt Dual Universal USB Micro (http://www.amazon.com/review/R29YHUZ96XEPWO/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm)
- PowerGen 2.4Amps / 12W Dual USB Car Charger (http://www.amazon.com/review/R2YR6HZ9QUY7OB/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm)

The Griffin Powerjolt seemed to be a fraud, but I ended up trying the PowerGen rather than replacing the Griffin. The PowerGen ended up being great, and I still have it and use it. It's great! A little more money, but... in the end... "you get what you pay for" I guess.
review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 29, 2012
I plug it in once and kept it plugged for a bit over a month. After pulling it out today one of the metal parts on the side of it broke. I just ordered another one because i liked how fast it was charging my iPhone. Let's see how long this one will last...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I received one of these from Satechi in return for an honest review of the product. I own similar devices which charge via USB ports using the cigarette lighter in my car, but all of the others do not fit as close to flush as this one does.

I was a bit baffled as to what the 'smart converter' (included with this package) would do for me, but per the Satechi site a smart converter: "...enhances capability with devices that cannot be charged through data cable."

2100mA power from two USB ports will support the charging of most smartphones and tablets at the same time from this adaptor, making it a very useful and inexpensive addition to any vehicle. I was able to charge both my iPhone 4S and iPad mini easily and fairly quickly with cords that came with the devices. (NOTE: No charging cords come with this product; you must supply your own per each device's requirements.)

The iPad 3 will charge using this device, however very slowly. If you have an iPad 3 as I do, the best charging option is still USB into the AC adapter: USB AC Adapter for Apple iPhone 3, 4, iPad, iPod (Black).

The most important feature to me of this adapter is the short circuit protection. You can't overload it, and blow a fuse, which I've done a few times with other similar devices. It also has shut down protection, which protects your devices. A blue light tells you when the adapter is properly connected, which some may find distracting, but I liked it.

This is a good product. Simple to operate, works as expected for (2) devices, and inexpensive. I would have liked to have had some literature included that had brief directions and recommendations for use with the product that included warranty info (1 year per the Satechi site).

I would recommend this to anyone who wants to inexpensively add USB charging functionality to their vehicle.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
For ten bucks you can safety charge a smartphone and a tablet; both of virtually any kind on the market (smartphones, tablets, music players, digital cameras, PDAs, with iPad / iPad Mini / iPhone / Samsung Galaxy / HTC / Blackberry / Playbook / Droid / Nexus / Microsoft, etc.) The best thing about this charge is that it is FLUSH with the car adapter, meaning no bothersome extrusions. You can unplug it by slipping the half-circle silver tab to pull it out.

There are two USB ports for charging; 1.0 A and 1.4 A. You can easily charge two devise at once, but the 1.4 A will charge faster. There is a Smart Converter included which is a standard USB to USB adapter that fits into either of the USB ports of the Cigarette Adaptor and has a different pin configuration to allow charging via micro USB cable (not included-`sad face'). There are good safety features like the `Current Limit Protection' and `Short Circuit Protection', which means it won't short circuit and won't overheat or overcharge!

For the price, this is a nice little design for charging while in your car. Product generously supplied by manufacturer for an honest review.
on February 3, 2012
I ordered this charger based on other positive reviews and was not disappointed. Charger fits neatly into the car lighter and charges my iphone 4s using my own standard white apple cord. I love that it is so compact that I can close the car lighter drawer when not in use without taking out the charger. It's a tiny thing, but works great.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
If you're like me you really need one of these for your car because your phone runs out too fast and it's just a hassle to not have. I think this unit was the best one that I could find on Amazon the reason being that is 2.1 amp and I've had require 2.0 or more to charge (many of these USB car charger adapters are 1.0 amp units and thus will charge an iPad). And I wanted to have one that would charge an iPad just in case a friend, colleague or family member needs to Jack on to me (that sounds kind of creepy and gross)

The construction is high-quality and to me it was worth dropping the $14.99 versus the $8 I could've spent on another unit.

It does come with a little USB adapter that plugs into the USB port and this adapters for cell phones I haven't tested it with any other USB cell phones but it seems that it might be there to help them modulate the current in some fashion. I'm so sorry my car case somebody needs it.

Hope this review helps thanks for reading the awesom
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...