‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars So Effin' Great!, May 17, 2010
This review is from: Satiristas: Comedians, Contrarians, Raconteurs & Vulgarians (Hardcover)
Art is an amazing gift given to some for the enjoyment of many. And while most art is accessible, you can teach someone how to paint, draw, sculpt, dance, write, etc., comedy is an art form all its own. No one can teach you how to be funny. You're either funny or you're not.

Being a comic is the most innate, inexplicable art. It is a gift embodied within stoic individuals who seemingly (sometimes barely) survive from life's unrelenting drama and turn that pain, that anger, that rage into art. Comics are the artistic Rumpelstiltskins that spin yarns into gold and SATIRISTAS!, a new book out by Paul Provenza and Dan Dion, is fast becoming the comic`s bible and an outsider`s look into a world barely acknowledged by mainstream media.

This book is not for the faint of heart and certainly not for sissies. It's an authentic dissection of craft and experience by seasoned professionals that have seen, done and heard it all.

Provenza is a comic god to me. His love of craft, his respect for fellow comics draws interviews better than Barbara Walters and without making his subjects cry. His down to earth personality and `take no prisoners' attitude are qualities I long for in my fellow humans and usually only find it in my fellow comics.

Dan Dion's eye enables him to capture each subject with as much intimacy as the accompanying interviews and help turn this book into a textbook no comic or writer should be without. This is an amazing read, you won't be able to put it down, nor should you. The subjects run the gauntlet of talent and experience, everyone has something powerful to say ... this book is going to shake up the mainstream and bring comedy back to the respectable art form it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars it Takes One To Know One!, May 17, 2010
Ok. I confess. I am a comedian aficionado. I love comedy. I could eat it!
When I heard that Paul Provenza, comedy genius extraordinare, had released a book called iSatiristas!, it was a moral imperative for me to obtain it and read it asap! Paul is a comic's comic. His playfulness is delightful and contagious. But make no mistake, because behind his sincere charm lies one of the most erudite, hilarious, quickest wits in town!

Since Paul IS a comedian, there is a mutual respect and trust between all involved. Therefore, allowing the questions to be more intimate, in-your-face, honest, hilarious and intelligent. This is not your mainstream, pre-packaged Q&A book. It has heart, depth, dirty words!, insightful and smart answers. It's diversive. iSatiristas! interviews legends such as George Carlin (in apparently his last interview). The comic talent runs the gamut from the classic (Smothers Brothers, Cheech & Chong, Lily Tomlin, Robert Klein, Terry Jones of Monty Python) to house-hold names (Robin Williams, Roseanne Barr, Sandra Bernhard, Billy Connolly, Craig Ferguson, Bill Maher) and contemporary artists of today (Stephen Colbert, Penn Jillette, Dana Gould, Patton Oswald, Conan O'Brien, Doug Stanhope, Greg Proops...) And these 2 "younger" & oh, so talented, heavy hitters Lee Camp & Jamie Kilstein.

If you love and appreciate comedy as an art form, hell, if you just love comedy, then this book is for you.
"Misfit's Rights."

P.S. The photographs, which were taken by Dan Dion, really captures the comedians' essence!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystery Solved, June 21, 2010
Now I know what I'm getting everyone for Chrismakwanzakah.

What a beautiful, smart, thought-provoking sleeper of a book. And for a fan of comedy, it is a golden ticket that couldn't be more enticing were it wrapped around a Wonka Bar. Provenza lets you into the engine rooms of the smartest minds in satire, where in an age of marketing murk and wholesale insincerity, honesty is still the price of admission. If the Truth is dying a slow death in America, it is only still breathing because a few artists remain unwilling to give up the mic.

There's no posturing here, no junket-ready platitudes or skin-deep anecdotes. You can always tell a real "artist," because they shy away from that word. They're made uncomfortable by the inference. Getting a real artist to drop the "Oh, I just do what feels right" defensive mask is like asking a glacier to hang a u-turn.

And that is Provenza's gift.

His insider's positioning and analytical mind make him the ideal gatekeeper to this world. He knows what to ask, and has an unrivaled ability to get the most guarded personalities of his profession to take off their armor. The result is an absolute education for anyone who cares about comedy, rhetoric, performance, or the craft of truthtelling.

When Rome burned, some people stood idle and watched. Others looked to profit from the inferno. And some stood in front of a faux brick wall and had the courage to tell jokes about the flames.

They deserve such a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satiristas Video Interview Clips!, August 20, 2010
Length:: 2:49 Mins

Great trailer that has actual clips from the book's interviews including George Carlin.

5.0 out of 5 stars The atheists that point to God, October 9, 2010
Sandra G Duggan (Vacaville, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I loved this book. I feel like the Double Rainbow Guy: "It's so Beautiful! What does it all Mean?" I loved feeling like I was in the room as bright, funny, worldly people discussed U.S. cultural influences on the human condition. I loved the conversational tone of it. And at the same time, I love the way Paul and his subjects use language so eloquently to express themselves. And the photographs - most of these comedians I've never even heard of (I'm a parent and I don't get out much for `grown-up time,') - but I loved looking at the photographs that `say' so much about their subjects. I had a hard time reading more than one interview at a time because I wanted to reflect and ponder the content of each one. But I also wanted to know what was coming up next! Yes, I laughed out loud, and yes, I was brought to tears. And the funny thing is, even though Paul and some of his subjects clearly possess an atheist point of view, and even though I am not heavily spiritual, reading this book made me feel closer to God: there is so much talent, love, and compassion in the world, and so much of this was on display in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tips from the masters..., April 12, 2012
Phil Keeling "Phil" (Savannah, GA United States) - See all my reviews
Between "The Aristocrats" and his show "The Green Room", Paul Provenza has taken pains to prove himself the archivist of modern comedy. "Satiristas!" is no different.

Not only are the interviews contained here funny and informative, they are arranged in such a way as to flow seamlessly from one voice to the next. This sort of style is a great way to show how one comedian can influence the next--how, in the comedy world, we truly are just a massive, dysfunctional family.

I recommend this book for anyone who loves comedy, but the real people who will benefit from this are the people who want to pay their bills with humor. Indeed, if the world of academia becomes stretched enough (and I'm not sure it won't), you'll find this book as required reading the first class in your Comedy major. Comedy 101: Introduction to Stand Up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, August 18, 2010
Okay, I have to say this book is on my to ten ever. I have been taking absolutely forever to read it because I want it to last and last. Paul gets every comedian to really share something honest, unique, and blindingly intelligent. And not just about comedy, but about life, politics, and being authentic on the planet. It makes you appreciate that comedy is actually, frankly, saving the world. You can march in the street, you can feed the hungry, but artists and comics are the ones calling out authority and making their audiences not accept what's going on, all while laughing, which is an effective way to really allow people to listen and think. It's a snappy, quick read, which is devastating because I will eventually have finished it. And then I'll start over again. - Katie Goodman

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!!!, October 13, 2010
I think this is an important book-- just in general but especially for anyone even remotely interested in satire, performed or written, comedy, improv, stand-up, theater, or entertainment, either as a participant or as audience. Or whoever has laughed at a joke. Who are these people who make us laugh? And why do we laugh? Reading these interviews -- so well done by Paul Provenza -- is like learning about the doctors who heal us and the methods they use. (Only a lot more interesting.)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is how you do a book on comedians, February 18, 2011
T. Wayne (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
There are three reasons that when it comes time to give a gift to someone who loves good comedy, I get them this book.
One, It's gritty, real, fully uncensored, and features the best comics of our time. Two, the portraits in the book capture the essence of the comics, without being headshot-y or pretentious. They are as real as the interviews. Three, there are comics who you might not know, but you'll realize you want to know. Great book. Really great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Window Into the Process of Impactful Humor or This Book Is Great, July 22, 2010
paul, i am so enjoying your book. insightful, entertaining, and important. wow i wish someone would say that about me. it is great fun to hear about the machinery behind the face, the thought behind the joke. it enlightens anyone who reads it to the realization of how very important comedy and comedians are to the sanity of the planet. i love this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Satiristas: Comedians, Contrarians, Raconteurs & Vulgarians
Satiristas: Comedians, Contrarians, Raconteurs & Vulgarians by Paul Provenza (Hardcover - May 11, 2010)
$29.99 $22.44