5.0 out of 5 stars "Dad, I Wish you could just shut your big YAPPER!!"
Published on March 1, 2005 by J. Brittman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Fun With Shorter Running Time
Published on March 29, 2006 by Jesse Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars "Dad, I Wish you could just shut your big YAPPER!!", March 1, 2005
This review is from: Saturday Night Live: The Best of Chris Farley (DVD)
So sad. So much talent, so little left for us to cherish, but this IS IT. This is the treasure trove that Chris Farley left us before he passed. The Matt Foley: Motivational Speaker sketch is without a doubt the funniest piece of sketch that I have EVER seen on SNL. Just look at David Spade and Christina Applegate's faces, they cannot stop laughing, it's just that funny. This DVD version does elimate some classic skits such as The Herlihy Boy and Schmitts Gay but the remainder and the extras make this worth the price of purchase. Among the best are Chippendales Dancer, Da Bears ("I'M NOKING...NOKING!!!), Bennett Brauer's Weekend Update commentary ("maybe the network would be happier with someone who doesn't EAT THEIR OWN DANDRUFF or FRIGHTEN SMALL CHILDREN"), Grandma Sketch w/Sandler & Married Old Couple sketch with Sandler and of course, The Chris Farley Show. The bonus features on this DVD are great too, there are 2 talk show performances, one with Conan O'Brien and one with Jay Leno. I'm convinced that Farley suffered from anxiety/panic disorder because if you watch these interviews you can see that he is so uncomfortable (sweating and clenching his fists) during these interviews. I truly believe if he would have gotten some professional help for his anxiety instead of self medicating he might still be with us today. But anyway, this is some of the funniest sketch comedy ever created and is an absolute must-own for even a casual fan. Highest Recommendation...R.I.P Chris Farley.

P.S. "I Don't give a damn, cause i'm movin' in...I'm sick and tired of livin' IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!!!!!!!!"

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent skits, but they took out a couple things, August 31, 2004
This review is from: Saturday Night Live: The Best of Chris Farley (DVD)
This is a great DVD - very funny. If you like SNL, you will probably like this DVD. I had only seen the original 2000 release (by the exact same name as this one) of this DVD before buying this new 2003 release. The 2000 release was made by Vidmark/Trimark (ASIN: 157362862X @ amazon.com) instead of from Lions Gate Home Entertainment. This version is edited a little from the original, so the actual tribute is probably about a couple minutes shorter than the original release. However, the one upgrade is more extras (special features). There are two hilarious clips of late show appearances that are not on the original release. Then there is a short outtakes reel which is decent, a deleted skit which isn't very good, and some photos to look at. So it depends on which you would rather have.

Here are the cons:

I'm not sure exactly how much was left out on this new release but I do know that the "Herlihy Boy: House Sitting Service" skit with Adam Sandler was cut out (which is my favorite SNL skit of all time). Another great segment that was left out was the "Little Women"-esque sequence where they fall through the ice and start cursing and make a pact with the devil. Yet another skit that was taken out was the "Shmitt's Gay Beer" skit, which doesn't bother me because I did not like it anyways (but some people like it). One final segment that was left out was the "in memoriam" introduction by Tim Meadows at the beginning of the previous release.

Now for the pros:

Excellent skits include Matt Foley's Motivational Speaker "Go For It" skit, "Hidden Camera Commercials," the "Chris Farley Show" with Paul McCartney (and clips of 2 more), & the Japanese Game Show, which are four of my favorite SNL skits ever (after the "Herlihy Boy" skit of course).

Some more pretty good skits include a classic Bennett Brower skit, the Superfans skit with Michael Jordan, "El Nino," "General Norman Shwarskoff: I Want Holyfield!," "Lunch Lady Land," & "Chippendales,"

They did try to substitute some new scenes for the left out scenes. "Focus on Beauty II" is an added segment that is decent but not great.

Although this release is missing some skits, "The Herlihy Boy" & the "Schmitt's Gay Beer" skits are both on the new "Best of Adam Sandler" DVD (from Lions Gate), so I bought that in addition to this DVD to get the missing skits. I'm satisfied enough because the Adam Sandler DVD is pretty good too (although not as good as this Chris Farley DVD)

Now that Will Ferrell got a Volume 2, it would be pretty sweet if Lions Gate made a Volume 2 for Chris Farley. they could include the falling-through-the-ice segment, as well as some more skits that don't appear on either release of Volume 1. The first skit that comes to mind is the hilarious "baseball commentary" on Weekend Update when Farley was talking about his favorite baseball memory (he remembers the 1978 World Series and he talks about "climbing over the fence out onto the field and running around wild and free until the security guards come." Some more great additions would be some more Bennett Brower reports, or some more "Matt Foley: motivational speaker" skits, some "valley girl" skits, & some more "Bill Sharwsky's Superfans." I'm sure they shouldn't have a problem finding at least an hours worth of footage to please us with. They could even put a biography, or some interesting special feature in the Extras section.

Even if they don't make a volume 2, this release is pretty good. If you liked Chris Farley on SNL, this is a must have DVD for your collection. You shouldn't be disappointed. I definitely recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Fun With Shorter Running Time, March 29, 2006
Jesse Ross (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saturday Night Live: The Best of Chris Farley (DVD)
I have the original VHS release of this title. It was a lot of fun and always made me laugh. Then I bought this DVD release, which I later found out is mysteriously missing seven minutes worth of footage. Some of my favorite scenes are cut. Now I'll have to go back and buy the previous DVD release. Why they can't release it completely the second time around is beyond me. But what's here is great, so you might want to buy it anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Miss Chris, May 4, 2005
Roger Copeland "rock lover" (Indiahoma, OK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saturday Night Live: The Best of Chris Farley (DVD)
Chris Farley was a big man with big comedy. His physical comedy was wild and hilarious. He you scream "Good Lord!" and make ti the funniest thing. Of all the SNL dudes, he's one of the top. Why did he die?

The best skits:

Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker: It's his best known bit. It's given us the classic lines "I live in a van down by the river" and "You're not gonna amount to Jack Squat!" David Spade can't keep still in this one. He knows Chris is funny, too funny.

Schmitz Gay: Chris and Adam Sandler as gay buds who like beer and speedos. I love their farce commercials.

Bob Swersky's Superfans: DA BEARS!!! Michael Jordan pops up for this one.

Chippendale Audition: That's a lotta rolls. Jan Curtin looks too interested to me.

Columbian Decaf Coffee Crystals: Why...you son a b*tch! You no good damn son of a b*tch! You lied to me! You lied to me!"

There are also a few bits montage bits of various falling scenes and such. Amogn the other SNL players on are Phil Hartman, Adam Sandler, and Keven Nealen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sadly Forgotten., July 16, 2007
This review is from: Saturday Night Live: The Best of Chris Farley (DVD)
I don't hear too many people talk about Farley anymore and I think that is rather sad as he was a gifted performer. All of his best shticks are recorded in this DVD but it could easily have been two hours long. One hour does not do justice to the guy in my opinion. Yes, a lot of the great stuff is here such as his Matt Foley character, Bennett Brauer, and the Chippendales skit he had with Swayze. It's enough to heighten your appetite for Farley but not enough to fill you. His death was truly a shame. I think comparisons to Belushi are appropriate, but Farley never had the range or amazing talent of John. Nevertheless, we're worse off without the large fellow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long Live Bennet Brauer!, August 9, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Saturday Night Live: The Best of Chris Farley (DVD)
This is the only SNL DVD I currently own. Good way to kick off the collection, huh? I saw this stuff, and it was AWSOME!! Farley really stood out in the cast, and that's no easy feat( considering that he was amongst the likes of Phil Hartmen, Adam Sandler, just to name a few). This is trully the essience of Farley. I mean, the classics are all here: Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker; Overweight Chippendales Dancer; Bennet Brauer, Bill Swersky's Superfans,etc. This is the real deal here. Farley was always my favorite. He really emphizied on the physical aspect of Physical Comedy. Get it, now! R.I.P, you were the man!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!!!!, July 21, 2004
David Keith (Bridgeport, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saturday Night Live: The Best of Chris Farley (DVD)
I would give this dvd 8 stars if i could. it is extremely funny and will make you laugh no matter what. some of my favorite sketches are Bill Swerksys Super Fans, Chipindales, and Matt Foley the Motivational Speaker. Chris Farley was one of the best comedians ever but unfortunately died before he could have done so much more. This dvd is a must for your dvd collection!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes me tear up every time I watch it [4.5 stars], August 22, 2006
This review is from: Saturday Night Live: The Best of Chris Farley (DVD)
Chris Farley was, in my estimation, one of the best sketch comedians ever. Saturday Night Live greatly improved when he became a cast member. His work was brilliant. Sometimes his size and willingness to do pratfalls were overused, but he was perhaps the best there has ever been at using those gimmicks for laughs.

The video is funny and moving. It constantly reminds you of the tragedy and untimeliness of his death. But, it's harder to find more laughs than you'll get from the DVD.

Too much of Chris's best SNL work -- I mean a whole bunch -- was left out, which explains my 4.5 star rating. That some sketches made the video (e.g. Cher haircare products infomercial) is downright baffling. The producers could have hit a grand slam home run with this set. Instead, they played it safe and boring and went for the triple.

Even so, this is a must for any comedy fan's collection. My 6 year old loves Lunch Lady Land and sings it around the house. Except for some language, it's good for all ages.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible "best of" for a really funny person., January 3, 2009
This review is from: Saturday Night Live: The Best of Chris Farley (DVD)
I really don't like this "best of" because I can't stand that they included clips and montages instead of the entire skit at times. The skits that Farley was in were absolutely hilarious, and you'll want to watch the entire thing but you won't be able to on this DVD. I'm a huge fan of Farley and just thought that this collection was only ok, maybe for someone who likes Farley and just wants a basic reminder of how funny he was. I wish a longer and more complete SNL Best Of would come out. As somebody said earlier a volume 2 would be great, especially if the skits weren't dissected so much. It reminds me of an E special of best of SNL, where they only show 5 seconds of the skit they say is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, May 9, 2007
This review is from: Saturday Night Live: The Best of Chris Farley (DVD)
These are absolutely the funniest skits he did on SNL and I laughed hysterically! I was really excited about getting this DVD and yet it was such a bittersweet experience when I watched it just knowing he is no longer with us.

Saturday Night Live: The Best of Chris Farley
$9.98
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.