Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on November 12, 2011
I have run in Saucony shoes for years, starting with the triumph 3 shoes all the way up to the triumph 7. Unfortunately the triumph 7 introduced a new, slightly porky mid sole connecting the forefoot and heel with a relatively stiff chunk of rubber. I tried a pair, but returned them after a few short, but painful heel-striking runs. I stocked up on Triumph 6's, ordering as many as I could, hoping to weather the storm until the next shoe. Unfortunately I run a fair bit so shoes only last a few months before they reach the 400 mile retirement point. With the triumph 8, things were improved, but not perfect, the shoe still felt like it had a slightly heavy awkward heel. Nearly out of triumph 6 shoes, I found myself shopping for other neutral + shoes. After trying nearly every brand, I found some good, workable shoes but nothing that rode or fit as well as the triumph 6 shoes.

As soon as I saw the triumph 9 show up as available online I eagerly purchased a pair; the specs are impressive, nearly an ounce lighter than the triumph 8's, with new features such as 8mm offsets and an ibr+ rubber compounds.

The smell of new shoes wafting out of the familiar red and brown box I pulled the new triumph 9's out. They look like an entirely new shoe. Gone is the characteristic Progrid "window" on the bottom; instead in its place is a simplistic Powergrid logo. Most importantly the awkward mid sole material that was added in the triumph 7 and 8 has been dramatically changed. First impression on fit is that the toe box is pretty big (actually just average compared to other brands). Gone are the round laces, instead the triumph 9 has flat laces. Shoe flexibility is good - much better than previous triumphs. Overall the shoe feels light, and somewhat minimalistic. Fabric padding in the heel is much less prominent than in previous triumphs, but seems to be strategically placed.

After the first 15-mile run I was reminded why I like the triumph line of shoes so much, they provide an excellent, balanced, and plush ride that has great upper shoe support. The triumph 9 has the traditional arch lock / support that is characteristic of the triumph line. Gone is the heavy hoofed heel of previous triumphs; in its place is a plush, balanced, cloud like ride. Given the new lighter weight materials it will be interesting to see how they hold up as the miles add up.

Update: After about 2 weeks running in these (about 150 miles) it is apparent that after some longer 20+ mile runs they are not for me. I have unfortunately started to feel it in my knees. I had to stop running in these shoes. These do still feel ok on shorter runs, they just don't work for me for the long distances.
11 comment27 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2012
I've been wearing the Saucony Triumph running shoes since I bought my first pair of Triumph 4's. This version has the same roomy toe box and large ankle opening that I like from the previous models with the advantage of a less pronounced heel to toe drop. At over 220 lbs. I was afraid I'd miss the extra cushioning in the heel, but my ongoing efforts to land more mid-foot instead of on my heel have been rewarded with this shoe. Less rubber between the heel and the ground has promoted a better stride for me since the thickest part of the sole isn't hitting the ground as quickly as it did in the previous versions of this shoe.

Very well ventilated and easy to unlace after a run.
on November 29, 2011
Best running shoe I have owned. I started with the Triumph 6 and loved them, moved on to Triumph 7 when they came out and hated them (very uncomfortable). With my experience with the 7, I was hesitant to go back to Triumph, and skipped the 8, but others' reviews on the 9 convinced me to give them a try: This shoe combines great cushioning with great stability (though it is not a stability shoe). I highly recommend.
on April 24, 2013
Impossible to draw a comparison this early in the life of the shoe, but after a couple of 3-4 mile runs, these shoes (and my body) feel great. As a heavy guy (250+lbs), I usually wear Brooks Beast ($140). These Saucony's were a little more than 1/3 of that cost, and comparably comfortable so far. Even if they last half as long as the Brooks I'll be money ahead. Can't beat that.
on March 21, 2013
I have been running in Saucony shoes for years, and settled on the Triumph as the best overall fit for my build and gait. Having worn the 7 and 8, I was really impressed with the changes, particularly the decreased heel drop and lighter weight, to the 9. This is by far the best shoe for long runs I have ever worn. I am a reasonably large runner (6 ft., 200) with normal gait. This shoe is perfect for me. I have since tried on the Triumph 10, and am not as impressed with the fit and feel. I will likely give that version a miss and just purchase another pair of the 9's to get me through the year. Great shoe!
on May 23, 2013
I have run with these shoes for about 6 months. I have put in about 20 miles per week. The Triumphs are the best pair of shoes I have owned in many years. The soles flex more naturally with the feet because they are injection molded as opposed to compression molded. The shoes have Saucony's proprietary 'powergrid' technology that provides cushioning & durability to the soles. The heel to toe drop is 8 mm which promotes a mid-foot stike thus making the run easier on the knees. I would highly recommended these shoes if you are a runner with a neutral gait.
on January 29, 2012
I am 62 years old and an avid runner. I am not fast by any means but love to run. Just started running again last year and am running farther now than I ever have. I find Saucony fits and feels better than any other brand although Asiacs are not bad. Recently bought a pair of Saucony Triumph 9 and I believe they may be the best yet, at least for me. I am a mid-foot striker and neutral pronator and these do the trick. I have a pair of Triumph 8 but like these much more. BTW, I run around 20 miles a week and Saucony holds up well for me.
on April 16, 2013
This pair of shoes is even more comfortable than my Triumph 8's. probably because of the change from pro grid to power grid technology. I choose the shoe because of the high arch support and the heal (I am a heal striker). I have about 30 miles on this pair already and love them. I get about 500 miles per pair.
on November 29, 2012
the quality of these shoes feel very well are quite light and airy, the softness of the area of the metatarsals is quite noticeable, I have wide feet and I are very comfortable, unfortunately I can not comment yet on how long or comfort in training of over 15 miles, in a month I update this review and let me tell you how it goes with these shoes

edited 12-1-2012

Well, after using them a bit more I do not understand why so many people talking bad things about this sneaker, comfortable, fit well in the foot (at least in mine, we must remember that not all are equal, that is normal, high arch and slightly wide forefoot) ... are soft in the forefoot but not too much and the shoe laces do not bother at all, and most importantly not untie ... not have been hot spots or blisters, one thing that bothers me to read so many negative reviews are people who says he comes from a saucony omni (shoes with enough support) or any other support or control shoe and say bad things about these neutral shoes, I am neutral and my running technique is midfoot strike, no strange sounds (clop-clop) nothing really .. I hope you serve something my opinion and people who like to run many miles and are truly neutral, that need cushioning in the midfoot or forefoot should give it a try these shoes
on November 20, 2012
I WEAR A SIZE 12 WIDE. JUST GOT THE SAUCONY TRIUMPH 9 TODAY. RAN A FEW MILES AND WORKED OUT WITH WEIGHTS FOR AN HOUR. THESE SHOES ARE VERY HIGH QUALITY, SUCH AS VERY GOOD CUSHIONING, THICKLY PADDED TONGUE. THESE SHOES RUN NORMAL WIDE UNLIKE SOME SAUCONY SHOES THAT RUN A LITTLE NARROW FOR A WIDE SHOE, SUCH AS GRID COHESION 4 AND 5. THIS WORKS GREAT FOR ME. I WAS ONLY AFRAID THEY'D BE TOO NARROW EVEN IN WIDE. I NEVER REALIZED THAT THE SAUCONY GRID COHESIONS WERE A LITTLE NARROW, EVEN IN 12 WIDE. AGAIN, VERY HIGH QUALITY. EXCELLENT SHOE FOR ME. ORDERED AT AMAZON.COM. CAME IN 5 DAYS,SUPER SAVER, IN PERFECT CONDITION, AND BRAND NEW IN THE BOX. UPDATE-11-28-12- I'VE WORN THESE TRIUMPH 9S FOR A LITTLE OVER A WEEK NOW, 2 MILE RUNS AND WORKOUT WITH WEIGHTS FOR AN HOUR. THEY ARE MORE AND MORE COMFORTABLE WITH GREAT SUPPORT. I HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE SAUCONY TRIUMPH 9S AND GET IT AT AMAZON.COM.