5.0 out of 5 stars Only Shoe That's Ever Made Me Faster
Published 18 months ago by DallasLonghorn

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the minimalist marathoner's shoe I was looking for
As a minimalist marathoner who keeps switching between Five Fingers, Hattori (most < 14mi runs) and Kinvara (on long runs and very high volume weeks) my first reaction to the Virrata was "Hallelujah!" and I immediately bought a pair.

Published 19 months ago by Bacci

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the minimalist marathoner's shoe I was looking for, February 3, 2013
Bacci (Brussels, BE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saucony Men's Virrata Running Shoe (Shoes)

After a week of running in them I can't say they're a clear winner however, I feel the sole is too thick (i.e. soft) and would have preferred a ground feel that's more similar to the firmer feeling grid type A5 (which has a 12-16mm sole compared to 18mm end-to-end on Virrata). I also don't like the goofy (thump-y, a bit like gymnastic shoes) sound the soles makes on hard even surfaces, which Hattori owners will recognize. Durability of the upper mesh has been the biggest issue I've had with Kinvaras, not sure if the Virrata's 2-mesh design will be any better. It does feel more breathable and airy than the Kinvara's and certainly the Hattori's.

The difference between 4mm (Kinvara) and 0mm (Virrata) heel-to-toe drop is immediately noticeable feeling more natural, but I could also feel my calves getting tired at the end of a 21mi long run. Not sure what I prefer for those type of runs yet.

In short I think it's great to see Saucony continue to release minimalistic shoes in general and fill the gap between Hattori and Kinvara specifically, but the Virrata is too soft and cushiony for me. I would have preferred a beefed up version of the Hattori. Considering the commercial success of similar shoes to the Virrata (like Newton's MV2), I'm sure many others will prefer the softer ride for long runs.

EDIT June 2013: I retired a pair of these after about 500mi. Like Kinvaras I owned before, the EVA sole under the balls of my feet gradually starts to compress which gradually caused the middle of the sole to push into my arch and irritate.
I raced my spring marathon (Rotterdam) in Saucony Grid type A5s, still my favorite street racers (excellent grip, response and breathability).
Toes pierced one layer of mesh but the upper mesh is still intact.
Won't be buying a new pair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only Shoe That's Ever Made Me Faster, March 11, 2013
This review is from: Saucony Men's Virrata Running Shoe (Shoes)
I have been through 5 pairs of Saucony Kinvaras, and eagerly awaited this shoe as one with more forefoot cushion but zero drop. That's a perfect combination for neutral runners - I can't believe this is the first shoe to include that combination. I was definitely not let down. I train heavily for triathlons and religiously monitor my heart rate and pace. These shoes are the first shoes I've ever worn that actually make me run faster over long distances. I'm not sure if it's the low heel profile that helps keep turnover high, the light weight, or both. Either way I typically 20 seconds per mile or 10 BPM lower in this shoe than in any of my traditional (non-zero drop) shoes. Unlike Vibram Five Fingers, you can run 15mi in these on pavement and not feel beaten up. Fantastic shoes!

2.0 out of 5 stars Loved Kinvara, Love NOT Virrata (Unfortunate durability issue), August 18, 2013
Radimek (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saucony Men's Virrata Running Shoe (Shoes)
Same light and comfortable as my old Kinvara 2 pair. Just a warning about the correct sizeing: I have listened to several reviews that recommended to go half a size bigger then usual Saucony size. Even Saucony's own "Show me how it fits ..." web tool recommends the same. Well both of those were wrong. I was size 8 for both Kinvara 2 and Mirage 2 and I am the same size for Virrata. I have initially order 8.5 size, but had to exchange it because it was way too big ...

**UPDATE** Unfortunately after only about 70 miles the middle layer mesh of the right shoe upper tear around the big toe area ... Returning it and probably be going back to Kinvara ...

**UPDATE 1** I have submitted my unfavorable review also on Saucony website - without asking for anything, Saucony contacted me and offered return/replacement ... Must say that I am impressed with their customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving from Kinvara, June 5, 2013
R. said "Ramsaid" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saucony Men's Virrata Running Shoe (Shoes)
I've been running in Saucony Kinvaras for two years and have been very happy with them. However I decided to try out a pair of Virratas for road half marathons because of the extra padding. I was not expecting to like the Virratas so much. While the shoe is super light, I experienced no foot or leg discomfort in making the switch and my training pace became faster, although this could be for any number of reasons.

Instead of returning to my Kinvaras I think I'll migrate completely to the Virratas. The only slight negative in the Virratas is that the deeper tread picks up a lot more small rocks when running on dirt trails but that is to be expected and I wouldn't want the tread redesigned for that reason.

If, like me, you like your Kinvaras I think you will love the Virratas.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a AWESOME shoe!, March 9, 2014
I have have multiple knee surgeries and had not really been able to run for about 15 years because I have pretty much no cartlige in my knees. I was recommended a chiropractor that specializes in sports med was amazing.

Most every place I went to get fitted for the right running shoe said to buy the $30 insoles (which I did). I went to locally owned running store that bought out about 6 different shoes for me to try. These felt like clouds! I was shocked!

Pros:
- Very reflective (I run about 4am and the streets are very poorly lit)
- Weight less than my bedroom slippers and feel just as good
- I DON'T NEED ADDITIONAL INSOLES WITH THIS SHOE! (Yup, dead serious. The insole in the shoe is PERFECT and my knees are fine after a 5 mile run)
- The price was almost half of what I would pay in the store

Cons:
- I didn't know about these sooner

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent shoe for me,, May 22, 2013
Hugh L. Scott (Chicago, IL, US) - See all my reviews
This shoe makes my running feel smoother and easier on pavement or on the beach.
Very affordable price. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe, February 13, 2013
This review is from: Saucony Men's Virrata Running Shoe (Shoes)
If you love zero drop but always wanted some cushion and not feel the road so much, this is the perfect shoe. Very confortable and breathable. Toe box could have been wider and I had to order a size 1/2 bigger than my usual Merrell (sp?). The other review is probably more spot on if you want to feel the road as a minimalist but if you are a zero drop person, you will love this shoe.

The only other shoes I can compare it to with minimalist is Merrell Road Glove and Bare Access.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything in 180 grams per shoe, August 4, 2013
I've been using three different Saucony models for training, all of them in the range 220 to 240 grams per shoe. I've been using New Balance Minimus (about 185 grams) for racing 10K and shorter. When I saw these shoes I was hoping to get a lighter version of the Sauconys I use for training.

They were exactly that but at 180 grams per shoe. Compared to the Minimus the Virrate feel like a road training shoe in terms of cushioning. With the Minimus you feel the irregularities of the road and there's essentially no cushioning. Somehow Saucony managed to get to 180 grams but also provide the cushioning and stability I like in the other Saucony models I use.

They are zero drop so be careful to ramp up slowly for that if you are not used to it but this is likely the easiest and safest way to get there.

Highly recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Into minimalist shoe but wears way to quick, June 26, 2013
Had run in Kinvara's for quite awhile and wanted to transition to a zero drop from the 4 drop Kinvara's. The Virrata fit the bill as it was lightweight and I had hoped it would hold up like my Kinvara's. The fit is spot on, toe box is is tight and overall it is very comfortable. I run between 4-6 miles a day and found these to be very comfortable and easy to break in. I ran about 4 days a week in these shoes. I ran into issues about a month in wear the outside sole started to wear extremely fast, much faster then anticipated. The toebox mesh also began to develop holes by my little toe. I only got about 2 months of wear before having to purchase another pair of Kinvara's, my quest for a more minimalist shoe continues. Maybe the new models will address the durability issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Entry Into Zero Drop and Minimalist, September 2, 2013
This review is from: Saucony Men's Virrata Running Shoe (Shoes)
I am a senior on my high school cross country team.

In track this spring, my coach had pointed out to me that I could be much faster and waste less energy if I leaned forward and stayed on my toes more when I ran (I was falling back to a heel strike pretty often).

I bought a pair of Virratas in June this year before our summer conditioning because I wanted to try to improve my form and work on a mid-foot strike. I knew that I could do this with a zero drop / minimalist pair of shoes, but due to our high weekly mileage (upwards of 60 miles in July and August), I couldn't go for the more outright minimalist shoes a la five fingers.

As soon as I put on the Virratas I was impressed. They are almost lighter than my racing spikes and feel incredibly natural to run in. One thing I loved about them was how comfortable the laces felt -- most other running shoes I've owned had pretty uncomfortable laces that dug in to the top of my foot.

For the first month or so that I had them, I would run about 1/3 to 1/2 of my run with a mid-foot strike, but because of the different muscles involved with that running style, I would tire and fall back to a heel strike for the rest of my run. I was running primarily on trails, so the impact wasn't that bad, but I could imagine if you were running on roads and not running with a mid-foot strike, you might have to tone back your mileage until you have built up the calf strength for a mid-foot strike.

By July I was entirely accustomed to running in these shoes and felt great in them. I just bought two more pairs at my local running store a few weeks ago and really don't think I would be interested in trying any other shoes.

IN SUMMARY:

These are great, light shoes if you have a mid-foot strike. They're also great shoes to transition yourself to a mid-foot strike.
They're really comfortable and don't interfere with your running.
They are slightly less durable than other running shoes I've had. After about 200-300 miles, my big toes start to make holes in the inner layer or the mesh. After 500-600 miles, they're pretty beat up.

Saucony Men's Virrata Running Shoe