Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: 11 D(M) US|Color: White / Silver / Royal|Change
Price:$79.00 - $79.90

on March 18, 2012
I run three times a week, totalling just over 25 miles, and am 65 years old, having run for 40 years.

I've loved running in my New Balance Minimus -- the barefoot style running shoe. But when an irksome Achilles Tendinitis case just wouldn't go away. I decided I needed a bit of cushioning.

So, I read about these new Saucony's in Runners World -- which rated them an Editor's Pick -- and took a chance on 'em. Great look, great fit, stable in the ankles, extremely light (e.g. even down to a nice, short tongue) , nice cushion, and -- most important for me -- a relatively short drop from ball to heel, only 8MM. Makes running on your forefeet much easier. And, after a month, my Achilles tendinitis is finally starting to recede. (I credit the shoes and, strangely, a homeopathic cream also noted in Runner's World, Topricin, which one can also find on Amazon. I have absolutely no faith in homeopathy, but this stuff seems to work.)

The shoes ran "hot" the first time. Since then, though, they've been just fine. And now are easily the best, most comfortable running shoes I've ever used. If you can get 'em at the $89 price I got, they're about the best running buy you could ever make.
on May 17, 2012
When I started running I used Progrid Guide 3 shoes. I made an easy transition to the update Guide 4 shoe the following year. Needing a new pair of shoes, I bought the latest in the series, the Guide 5. It is a great shoe, but I would caution those who have been using the Guide 4 shoe that you WILL notice the change in offset from 12 mm to 8 mm. I did almost immediately and initially it was uncomfortable. I got used to them after a few miles and I think in the long run I will be better off with them. However, I doubt I can use the 4's as a backup pair because I think it will be uncomfortable going back and forth between the two.

Update 9/27/2013: These shoes have been fantastic. I bought a 2nd pair without hesitation.
on October 1, 2012
I'm a pretty serious runner that puts in roughly 35-40 miles a week consistently throughout the year. My go-to shoe the past 3-4 years has been the Asics 21xx series culminating in the 2160 shoes I just wore out. I wasn't very impressed with the design changes Asics made with the 2170 shoe, so I decided to give Saucony a try.

In my decision process, I wanted a shoe that was lighter than the Asics I had been wearing, and also wanted a smaller heel/toe drop so I could start the slow transition toward better mid-foot striking. The Progrid 5 shoe seemed to fit the bill in what I was looking for. My initial impressions were the following:

* This shoe is very light weight compared to my previous Asics 2160 shoe. It's really not even close. You will definitely feel the difference if you transitioning from a standard training shoe.
* I moderately pronate, so with the lighter weight I was worried that I was going to be sacrificing support. With over 200 miles on these shoes I have had no injuries or soreness usually associated with bad supporting shoes. In fact, my ankles (my normal problem spot) have felt better (perhaps due to better mid foot striking?)
* The toe box is a little tighter than my Asics, but not enough to chafe or cause any issues. Just something to note.
* Even with the lower heel/toe I didn't feel like I was getting beat up on the road due to less cushioning. If you are coming from a standard 12mm shoe you definitely get some feedback that you are heel striking, but not enough to make you uncomfortable like most minimalist shoes. During my 200 miles of running in these shoes I have definitely transitioned more to my midfoot and less on my heel.

The shoes have held up nicely and are wearing well. Will probably be able to get my standard 500 miles or so from these puppies. And, on the aesthetic front, I like the color selection as well. I went with the Vizipro/Citron/Blue shoe and I've definitely gotten some "nice shoes!" comments yelled my way.

Overall, I'm super pleased with these shoes. They provide great support for the moderate pronator, are a great transition shoe to mid foot striking without getting injured, are very light and comfortable, and are wearing well. Buy with confidence.
on November 17, 2011
These shoes are wonderful for running and are very comfortable. I'm a distance runner myself, and these shoes have been flawless since I bought these a few weeks ago at my local Fleet Feet. It took about a few days of walking to break in the shoes. I have not had much of an issue when using these shoes for speed work as well. So far, I have walked and ran about 45 miles with these dandy looking shoes. Overall, these shoes have been the best pair I have ever owned!
on January 28, 2012
I purchased these to train for and run in my first half marathon this spring. The fit is quite nice and they feel like clouds, especially after an hour and a half on the treadmill. Nicely made shoe.
on September 15, 2012
I just got these in about a week ago, to replace my New Balance MR760s. I am a slight over pronator and have only been able to take a couple of runs in them so far.

Before I got them in, I had just completed Tough Mudder which is a 12 mile obstacle course, so my legs were a bit shaky anyway. I've done 3 runs so far, 2-4 mile runs and a 3 mile interval to train for an upcoming race. The new heel drop has been a learning experience for me, and has definitely activated some muscles that I hadn't been relying on as much (or I abused them at Tough Mudder!!). Beyond that, all I can say is that they felt good on my runs and I haven't had any problems at all.

So far these have been a great pair of shoes. They keep me running right and feel good on my feet. I don't have any complaints at all.

If you're a slight overpronator give them a shot!

Update-

Still using the same pair months later, and they are still amazing!
on January 22, 2013
I bought these shoes after being a lifelong Asics Gel-Kayano user. The Kayanos were rubbing my heels and I liked the way these Guide 5s cupped my heels. I was also keen on trying out this models new 8mm offset which "encourages a smooth transition with less impact". I was loving the shoe until I developed Achilles Tendonitis. I have been undergoing physical therapy for about a month now since the injury developed and the therapist attributes it to the new 8mm offset; apparently, they have been noticing increased injuries from this new feature. That doesn't mean people should avoid this shoe but just be aware that you should spend more time transitioning to using this shoe, almost as if you were transitioning to barefoot running or trying to change your stride. Even little changes can lead to injuries if you don't give your body enough time to adjust.
on January 2, 2015
My husband is in the Army and runs every day for PT. He started having trouble with cramps and pain in his legs a few years ago and a doctor sent him to a specialty store that only sold running shoes. For several years he replaced his shoes every six months or so with some very expensive (like $200-250/pair) running shoes recommended by the store. Eventually we moved and no such specialty store exists where we are now. Someone recommended these shoes to him instead. He is still pain-free, his PT running scores are better than ever, and he keeps asking me to re-order these same shoes for him every six months or so, so if you are a runner in need of some good running shoes that won't break the bank, I'd recommend these.
on January 30, 2013
I am 60 years old and walk/jog 3 miles per day. I ordered the orange (vizipro/citron/blue) Progrid Guide 5s about a month ago and liked them so much I ordered the blue (royal/citron) ones and they were delivered by UPS today.

These shoes are lightweight and quite comfortable for walking or jogging on any type of terrain. The flat laces are just the right length and they stay tied for as long as I have the shoes on, unlike some others that come loose after an hour or so.

In the past, I have always worn one pair of shoes all day and when walking/jogging and did so until the soles started wearing out. Then I got another pair. Now, I have 4 pair of Sauconys and one pair of Hi-Tec waterproof hiking shoes. I wear each pair for one day and then switch to the next pair. This keeps the shoes in like-new condition for quite awhile and my feet feel much better. For over 40 years I had a large callous on my right foot and rough edges on both my big toes. Since I have been switching shoes each day, the callous is rapidly disappearing and the rough edges on the big toes are gone. My feet are actually smooth again and I credit it to wearing a different pair of shoes each day.

I highly recommend these Saucony Progrid Guide 5 running shoes. They cost a little more than a lot of other brands, but I really think they are worth it.
on December 12, 2012
Price, product and delivery quite satisfactory.

I have had many pairs of Saucony running shoes and always have good luck with them. I particularly like their big toe box up front. I walk a lot for exercise and they are a comfortable shoe even for walking long distances. I am never particularly thrilled with their styling, but I'm 63 so that's not that big of an issue with me.

I'd buy again without hesitation.