Save Our Science: How to Inspire a New Generation of Scientists (Kindle Single) (TED Books Book 29) Kindle Edition
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
More About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
The system is broken.
If you're a parent, teacher, student, or human you need to understand the message in Save Our Science and do something to fix it. We're failing our current and future generations, but all hope is not lost. Ms. Ramirez has a plan and we'll do well to embrace and tinker with it.
"Save Our Science" is an inspirational plea to a new vision of science education in the United States. Yale professor Ainissa Ramirez, Ph.D., makes the persuasive plea for a science education that stresses creativity, curiosity, critical thinking, and collaboration skills. Doctor Ramirez is a staunch advocate of science and educating the public at large. This stimulating 66-page book covers many topics on how to improve science education.
1. Engaging, inspirational tone.
2. An important topic in the hands of a gifted scientist and educator.
3. The inspirational plea for improved science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education.
4. Interesting facts. "It has been predicted that in the U.S., the growth of STEM-related jobs will nearly double the number of non-STEM jobs from 2008 to 2018, at a rate of 17 percent."
5. Good use of charts to illustrate points.
6. The alarming decline of science. Bad politics that hurt our science education.
7. Interesting history. "Getting STEM back on track wasn't easy then, but we did it because we were inspired by President John Kennedy's famous words when he reaffirmed a desire to put a man on the moon by the end of the 1960s."
8. Girls and science. Interesting insights and debunking myths.
9. Race and science. A sensitive topic handled with mastery.
10. Practical recommendations that resonate. "Standardized testing teaches skills that are counter to skills needed for the future, such as curiosity, problem solving, and having a healthy relationship with failure."
11. Failure in science, or is it?
12. The importance of making STEM fun. Practical advice for educators.Read more ›
Strongly recommended for all parents and educators.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I wish I could hand this out to the world. It is too bad that we can't send this to every house in AmericaPublished 2 months ago by Sherri L. Ward
Very good information about what we should be doing. Wish it had been longer but what was there was excellent.Published 15 months ago by Amazon Customer
As a science department chair with 22 years of science teaching experience, I was inspired by ideas Ainissa has given in her book. Read morePublished 17 months ago by Anita
Easy to read and sums up in a concise manner what is wrong with eduction. It also provides a blueprint to correct what is wrong. The blueprint is low cost. Read morePublished 18 months ago by S. Devine
I appreciate Dr. Ramirez' passion and enthusiasm for STEM. I wish mention of the common cores standards including the Next Generation Science Standards had occurred. Read morePublished 19 months ago by Dan.
I have been teaching 8th grade science for 12 years and there was stuff in here that was new and fresh. Read morePublished 20 months ago by Sarah
Good and quick read with specific actions you can implement to support STEM education. Also, the ideas can be generalized to support change in all educational practices.Published 22 months ago by TungstenW
There is so much inspiration in this book for educators at all levels. I can't wait to get to work on planning STEM activities for the students at my school.Published 23 months ago by CJ
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Education & Teaching > Schools & Teaching > Curriculum & Lesson Plans > Curricula
- Books > Education & Teaching > Schools & Teaching > Curriculum & Lesson Plans > STEM Education
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Education & Reference
- Kindle Store > Kindle Singles > Essays & Ideas
- Kindle Store > Kindle Singles > The Sciences
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Education & Teaching > Teacher Resources > Curricula