5.0 out of 5 stars Even more awesome in print
I've read all of these comics in my RSS feed, but somehow they are funnier in print. The subtle fumes from the ink and the glue, perhaps, have some influence on way the brain processes them. Or maybe it's just fun to see the internets leaking into real life.

Published on July 8, 2011 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars i don't get this at all.
this was a badly done comic book with strange humor that i didn't find funny or interesting. sorry i bought it. took it to goodwill.
Published 8 months ago by Robin in Vermont

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Even more awesome in print, July 8, 2011
This review is from: Save Yourself, Mammal!: A Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Collection (Paperback)

Which reminds me. If you have this book, you will be able to say, "Ooo! And look at this one!" after civilization has been shattered by orbital bombardment, and everything will turn out all right.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Paleontology texts have changed a lot since dinosaurs took over the school board.", November 17, 2011
There. I've rectified the one thing I didn't like about the book -- the fact that my favorite comic panel ever was featured on the cover without its caption.

I feel better now.

So anyway... If you, like me, are a science nerd with a somewhat warped sense of humor, "Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal" is for you. The best way I can think to describe it is that it's like Generation Y's twisted answer to "The Far Side." And this collection has all you can ask for: Dinosaurs. Aliens. Robots. A couple of superheroes. Some bad words. A butt or two. Funny things you should never do/say in a relationship or to your children. Carl Sagan even makes an appearance. (And it involves cat poop.)

So what, you ask, makes this thin book of online comics worth buying? Well, there's a mini choose-your-own-adventure made up of little drawings on the bottom of each page. Also, there's a forward in which the author makes fun of you for buying a book "whose content can be viewed online for free." It's also never a bad idea to give your support to science advocacy. The main reason, however, is that it's just cool to own some of the best SMBC comics for yourself.

For Zach Weiner, I will gladly spend tens of dollars as if they were mere fives of dollars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Funny., June 30, 2011
Great collection of funny SMBC favorites. From a dry intellectual perspective, there is an enormous amount of honesty and respect along with mockery and jokes. From an enjoyment perspective, there is plenty of sex, science, & geek humor; also some fantastic ideas for marriage proposals and amusements for when one is old.... The printing is really nice quality paperback, the drawings are sharp and colorful, and the choose-your-own-adventure bonus is awesome. Any fan of SMBC should love this, and anyone who isn't a fan of SMBC should really become one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Collection from a Funny Guy, June 28, 2011
Save Yourself, Mammal! is the first SMBC book to be published and definitely worth the purchase price. Selecting some of his (and fan) favorites, Zach Weiner delivers on making my coffee table just a bit more awesome. The book is a sturdy piece of print, and contains the comics in high quality. The way the comics are positioned make for seamless reading, but a small handful of longer comics may make the reader stumble for just a bit. While the red button (or votey) comic isn't included for many of them (but is when the comic needs it for context), it hardly takes away from the jokes already present. The book also includes a nifty mini-feature; a choose-your-own-adventure, which works very well, without interrupting the main piece, at the top and bottom margins of the pages. Overall, fans of Mr. Weiner's work will enjoy this book, and anyone who hasn't been introduced to his material should find something to smirk or gasp at within this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Funny!, January 20, 2013
RickW (Evanston, IL USA) - See all my reviews
Bought this as a present for my 25-year old and spent the rest of the evening watching him roll around on the floor laughing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Humor, December 11, 2011
SMBC is a long standing favorite for me. I jumped at the opportunity to purchase this collection when I heard it was headed to print. The humor is consistently outstanding, and there were several comics which had me in tears. My biggest lamentation (and the reason I'm not giving the full five-star rating) is that the collection is a bit sparse for my tastes. Having come from the full 2000+ collection of online comics, I was disappointed to discover so few were included in this publication. That said, I believe it's a better assortment than that present in the second book: The Most Dangerous Game. Hopefully we will see someday the full SMBC anthology, which I believe should be named, "The Gigantic Weiner Book."

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, October 26, 2011
This book is funny. Very good content and supplement to the website when you don't have internet access. Highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, November 22, 2014
As the title suggests, this is a printed collection of some of the comics of SMBC or Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal. They don't really have an underlying theme or order that I noticed, but it really is very amusing, and a good way to spend some time if you like the comics. All of the comics are in color and are printed on some kind of glossy paper. It is really a very nice book. The size is a bit wonky though, so it might not fit snugly on a bookshelf.

Another problem is that there doesn't seem to be any new or exclusive material. Considering the price, and the fact that all of the comics can be found for free, it doesn't seem worth buying. So unless you are a huge fan of the comics, there is no real reason to have a physical copy of the comics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thinner than I thought, but worth every cent., July 28, 2014
David Hernández (San Luis Potosí, México) - See all my reviews
I love the book (or should I said booklet?)
It contains many well thought comics, full with the characteristic Weinersmith humor.

The book is thinner than I thought since I imagined that it contained one strip per page, but it has many (three or four) per page.

The quality of the paper is outstanding, and it resembles a A1 comic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars but the best part was getting our parents to read it, July 10, 2014
I bought this as a gift because I wanted to read it too, and the recipient likes it as much as I do. We are both fans of SMBC, but the best part was getting our parents to read it; they don't read webcomics, so apart from forcing them to read the occasional individual strip, print collections are our best way to share them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›