Customer Discussions > Rift - PC forum

Save your money . . .

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 28, 2011 5:30:18 PM PST
Innocente says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2011 5:36:03 AM PST
Diknak says:
and since WoW is a clone of EQ, DAoC and every MMO before it, nothing is truly a WoW clone.

But there are some MAJOR differences between this game and every other game on the market (including WoW).

The Rift system is similar to WAR's public quests, but more dynamic and much more involved. Does WoW get you on 100 man raids at level 15? When a zone is being overrun in a public event, everyone in the zone gets involved to close it.

The class system is very unique. In a lot of games you have AA or Talent Trees, but those are supplemental to a class that you select at character creation. In this game, you can mix and match 8 souls (3 at a time) and can have up to 4 different combination. My first character is a full on DPS in one roll but can switch to a full on healer with a click of a button. This is truly unique to this game and to even compare it to a Talent system is ignorant.

Server structure - in most games, zone x is on a server and zone y is on a server, etc. In this game, they don't do location based servers so when 200 people get in a zone, you don't have lag. This is amazing and people fail to even realize that this is happening.

Soloing is dangerous. Since there are roaming 'Epics' in the form of invasions, you can be soloing and get steamrolled if you don't pay attention. Mob run speed is equal to yours so you can't just run away from mobs. If you get in over your head, you are probably going to die. Mounts have a chance to dismount when you get hit, so you can't just train mobs when you are running through. A lot of solo mobs have snares, roots and stuns, making getting away tougher in some cases.

The devs actually listen to their players. This is the one thing that I have seen that is very different from Blizzard and SOE.

Go back to WoW and leave our community in peace. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2011 8:53:43 AM PST
Ryan says:
This post does not convince me not to buy it. What convinces me to buy this game is the fact that Blizzards development team doesn't do #@$! to make WoW fun or balanced. They just keep rehashing the same content over and over and over. I have hopes that Trion will do things right and will be able to give Blizzard some competition so Blizzard will hire some better developers. It may not kill WoW, but it will definitely take some of WoW's subscribers away and Blizzard will notice they can't have their heads up their butts anymore or they will start losing money.

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 2:43:02 PM PST
Campy says:
This game has ONE thing over WoW-

No Ghostcrawler.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2011 9:34:20 AM PST
Saboth says:
I think...you haven't even played this game, in the least. The class system is about 10x more complex than WoW. The graphics are light years ahead. This game is extremely fun FROM THE START. Even in the beginner zones you will be doing raids and collecting nice blue and purple gear (from Rift Invasions).

Believe me, I played WoW since Beta and quit with WoTLK came out. Boring. Tired of it and it's dailies and grinds. All WoW is, is a rush to get to max level so you can start the "real" content (which means getting locked into a raiding guild and spending 25 hours a week doing the same raids over and over). With Rift, I am honestly in no rush to level because it is new, and the lower levels are actually fun.

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 9:38:21 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 25, 2011 3:20:09 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 2:56:45 PM PST
Matthew Bach says:
Dear lord, that is NOT what EVERYONE wants. I want a game that is nothing like WoW. My perfect game would be DAoC II, which will never be made.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 3:06:08 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 25, 2011 3:20:14 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 5:35:25 AM PST
Kyle says:
...because World of Warcraft was the first MMORPG? I'm afraid not...many of us were playing MMOs long before you WoW babies were even hatched.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 5:38:16 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 25, 2011 3:20:16 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 10:32:54 AM PST
I don't even know that Kyle's comment was directed at you.

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 10:48:32 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 25, 2011 3:20:30 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 7:59:27 PM PDT
No, he's attacking the cliche comment "x is a wow clone" by contending that wow isn't original itself (which is very true). If you need to snap at someone because your mom just made you take out the trash then go outside and breath in the real world for a few min.

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 11:30:32 AM PDT
Campy says:
Just because X product is the most popular product of that type, that doesn't mean that R Company that produced X product set the bar HIGH or that it made the BEST product of that type.

It just means they made a good product, marketed it well and struck the right chord at the right time.

Posted on Mar 19, 2011 2:25:33 AM PDT
I think wow players are just mad that another company made the same type of game and improved on it especially the cartoonish graphics that is wow.For me as soon as I saw wow the graphics were a laughfest and I was wondering why people ruined their "lives" playing that game oh well have fun with the inferior game wow players ....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2011 1:43:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 25, 2011 3:20:50 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 8:24:56 AM PDT
Jarvi says:
It always amazes me how people who play MMOs are completely incapable of liking two games. If you think WoW is good, Rift is automatically awful because it copies WoW. If you think Rift is good, WoW is outdated and crappy and all of its players are 'babies'.

I for one do enjoy WoW and am looking forward to Rift coming out with a trial so I can see if I like it as well. Unfortunately I won't spend money on a subscription-based game before I try it, but everything I've read and all of the videos I've watched make me think that it won't be a bad game at all. And surprise, I will still enjoy playing WoW afterward!

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 9:20:39 AM PDT
I completely and totally agree with you Jarvi. I don't buy into all the WoW hate. All it is, is people hating on a superior product simply because it's......superior. It's like the saying goes, when you're on top, there will always be someone trying to bring you down. Simply put, wither people will agree with it or not WoW was (and in some respects, still is) the best MMO on the market.

Rift is very similar to WoW in many regards so by that virtue alone it makes it worth trying. Even if it is a "WoW clone" just means that it is following a very successful mold, why that is a bad thing, I'll never understand. That's like saying that Kobe Bryant is doing something wrong because he is compared to the greatest basketball player, Michael Jordan, it makes no sense. I just downloaded Rift last night and was only able to play a little bit of it. But the graphics are good, not the best thing ever, but good. Gameplay is simple and easy to learn. Quests (so far anyways) are pretty straight forward.

So, so far it's not a bad game. Just try it and stop hating on it for stupid reasons, that goes for both WoW and Rift.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2011 9:28:23 AM PDT
Rockhardly says:
I agree.

This harkens back to the Pepsi vs. Coke wars, the Nintendo vs. Sega wars, etc. There's a weird sense that people feel the need to have their choice justified by their product of choice being declared the best.

Rift players claiming that WoW sucks are interesting to me, because the game is so similar. The same thing with WoW players who claim Rift sucks. They're similar enough to where if you think one sucks, it's hard to believe you like the other one.

I play both, and I prefer WoW. I don't think Rift sucks, I just haven't been able to play it for more than an hour before I want to go back and play WoW. That doesn't mean Rift is bad.

I used to love Pepsi, and thought Coke sucks. Then I liked Coke and thought Pepsi sucks. Now I've grown to realize that that's all silly as hell and I drink Dr. Pepper. I'm not joining a team or an army when I buy this stuff, I'm just consuming a product.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2011 1:08:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 25, 2011 3:20:52 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rift - PC forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Feb 28, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 24, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Rift - PC
Rift - PC by Trion Worlds, Inc (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (200)