Customer Discussions > Demon's Souls forum

Saves in Demon's souls

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2010 6:52:11 PM PDT
I know that there are no real checkpoints or saves during levels so what does the game save if anything? Can you save your stats and progressive/experience of your character even if the dungeon keeps re spawning when you die or do you have to beat an entire level before the game saves anything?

What character would be the best/easiest character to start on your first play through?

What makes the game so difficult and what ways can you make it easier? or is it just trial and error and luck?

I am trying to find out as much as possible about this game because I am on the fence on buying it. The concept is very intriguing(very interesting multi player) however the difficulty and lack of saves/checkpoints is stopping me from actually buying the game.

Posted on Apr 13, 2010 8:04:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2010 10:54:10 AM PDT
Hey J. I am going to break down your post and answer them in sections.

"There are no real checkpoints or saves during levels so what does the game save"

The game literally save every second. You can quit the game. It will resume at the very location with all your stats and enemy/dungeon status saved. So you don't have to glue to the chair until you finish a level.

"Can you save your stats and progressive/experience of your character even if the dungeon keeps re spawning when you die."

You collect demon souls as you slain demons. You walk around with the demon souls collected and cannot upgrade your character until you return to Nexus. If you die, there will be a blood stain left with all the demon souls you collected. You have to return to that spot to retrieve your demon souls without dying. If you die on the way, a new blood stain will be placed (and you lost the demon souls collected). You could return to Nexus to upgrade your character but all enemy is re spawned.

There are 1-2 short cuts to unlock in every level. So you don't really have to fight an hour back to where you were. Enemy only re spawn if you die or return to Nexus. But all the secret or short cuts unlocked are saved.

"What character would be the best/easiest character to start on your first play through?"

Royal. It starts with decent stats, magic item, and a magic leaned. You can actually magic you way through the first level without dying.

"What makes the game so difficult and what ways can you make it easier?"

The game is actually not difficult at all but it's completely different from any action or any hack and slash games. If you play it like God of War 3 and try to slash a few demons at once, you will die immediately. Enemies are almost as capable as you are. You have to be patient, fight them in small groups (or 1-on-1), and remember to block. You just cannot rush your way through because a demon might fireball you to death at a corner. I remember dying a lot on 1-1. Once I got to the flow, I finished 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 3-2, 4-1, 4-2, and 5-1 without dying once.

"Is it just trial and error and luck?"

This game is strict but never cheap. Every time I am killed, I knew exactly what I shouldn't do and why I got killed.

Get this game. It's challenging and addicting. I own a PS3, Xbox 360, and a Wii. This is the BEST game made this generation. It is not for everyone tho.

Posted on Apr 13, 2010 2:34:14 PM PDT
Thanks Andrew your explanations helped a lot. I think I am going to get the game this summer to play because I won't be in school(i e college) and it will give me something to do. Its one of those things where you just have to check it out because you hear all the time about the difficulty and how people either love it or hate.

I hate games where I die but I have no idea why I died and then I don't know what to do differently next time I go through that area. However if I know exactly what I did wrong I could live with that because I would know what to change.

Posted on Apr 13, 2010 9:30:01 PM PDT
Well, I just looked at all the 1 star, 2 stars, 3 stars review again. Almost every single person gave up at level 1-1, which is the "try you wings and see if you can fly" level after tutorial... Got kill by a fireball rolling down the stairs (use right analog stick to look); got back stab from behind by a demon hidden at a dark corner (well, common sense in a dungeon game); lost in fights (R2 to block), got killed in a gang up (maybe don't get into one?)...

After a few death, you will learn to raise your shield, check for ambush, and lure the enemy out. Or you can throw your controller and leave a 1 star review on Amazon. There's a frustrated 90+ level player who left a 3 stars review because he thought he's invincible but he got man handled. He got killed in a couple blows by some powerful black phantom. The enemies are more powerful at the later levels. It only make sense.

At level 90+, he can kill most minions with 1 blow. The table have turned when he met the black phantom. But I think it's both challenging and fun. It's VERY untrue when people talk about dying in this game. Enemies in level 1-1 drops more heath herb than you will ever need for a long long while. And you can always retreat for a little while in any given situation, boss, black phantom, flying squirrels. There were a few time I had absolutely no clue with a boss. I ran to the other side, replenish my health, change my weapons, and rethink a different strategy. Yes, you have all the time for that. Or you can try to beat your luck, and then leave 1 star review on here.

I promise you won't believe how good a fighter you could be after 10 hours. But I promise you will still be killed... I am level 200+ and I still get killed sometimes. Hahaha... This game is highly addictive. If you cannot have at least a few hours for each session, then you should wait. Good luck with school.

Oh by the way, I will not be nice to you if you return to leave 1 star review. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Demon's Souls forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 13, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Demon's Souls
Demon's Souls by Atlus (PlayStation 3)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (667)