4.0 out of 5 stars Just Found A Gem

Published on October 7, 2009 by R. M. Silkey

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Found A Gem, May 17, 2009
T. Luna (Las Vegas, NV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saving Abel (Audio CD)
Wow! I just found a gem. I heard Drowning(Face Down) on the radio, but the DJ didn't identify the song or band. With some research I found Saving Abel. I've just started listening to them, and I'm blown away. They deliver a mix of driving rock and gritty ballads with just a slight touch of Southern flavor (without the twang) and feature some great guitar work. In fact, the only reason that I didn't rate it 5 stars was that they could have fleshed out a bigger role for the lead guitarist. He delivers some really driving, creative riffs, but I think he's underutilized. I would love to see them live, because I think they might let that big dog eat a little more. Most people have heard Addicted, but as addictive (sorry) as that tune is, it's not the best by any stretch. Drowning, Beautiful You, New Tattoo, In God's Eyes, and Out Of My Face are in your face rock songs with gritty vocals that hold an edge without turning into a screamfest. Meanwhile, songs like She Got Over Me and Loaded Gun provide a change of pace without slowing down or compromising. For those of us old enough to remember the great Southern bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers, it's great to hear a new band with the chops to remind me of them when they were really rocking. This is a cd you must hear!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving Abel, October 24, 2008
Gitters (Allendale, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saving Abel (Audio CD)
I decided to check out Saving Abel's cd, because I'm going to be attending a concert where they are the opening band. When I listened to this cd, I was suprised at how good the songs were. New Tattoo, Addicted, 18 Days, Sailed Away, Beautiful Day, Out of My Face, Running from You are all pretty good songs. If more newer bands would put out albums of this quality(more than one or two good songs), I would probably listen to more newer rock. I've seen a couple of reviews that said all the songs sound the same. I'd rather have a rock cd, were all the music sounds like rock instead one song being rock, and the rest just a mixture of styles of music. Saving Abel is the best debut album since Hinder's Extreme Behavior.

5.0 out of 5 stars What is "arena rock" but rock music you can jam to!!!, April 25, 2011
This review is from: Saving Abel (Audio CD)
I keep reading the negative comments about Saving Abel and how they are in the "arena rock" genre. Wouldn't you want to play in front of thousands of people at a rock concert????? If that type of music is not your style, then don't buy this album. If you want good, ol' fashioned rock music that you can enjoy with a smile on your face, then this is the album for you. The singer's voice is crisp, the music is solid and I love turning up the volume to each and every song on this album!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, April 4, 2009
Saving Abel
Saving Abel - Canadian Tour Edition
Virgin
AISN B001SGEUQA (Tour Edition)
AISN B0013FSVD4 (original release)

I picked up this album on a whim. The cover of the Canadian Tour Edition caught my attention, and the fact that they were touring with and opening for Nickelback made it an intriguing endeavor. When I go to review and album, I tend to listen to nothing but it for a week or so and immerse myself in the sound, lyrics and mood of the album, both as individual pieces of music and as a collective cohesive whole. As such this is the only CD that has been in my car for a week now, and the mp3's I have listed to off and on all day at work.

At first I thought it was an ok album. Good sound, interesting lyrics and overall ok. I was not disappointed but at first I was not amazed either. That changed about the second day. The more I listed to the album, and assessed it as a whole the more impressed I became with the artists who created this work. The band formed in 2004 in Corinth Mississippi. It is composed of and eclectic electric sound of the lineup of guitarist Scott Bartlett, bassist Eric Taylor, and drummer Blake Dixon, lead singer Jared Weeks and Jason .

The sound is not as heavy or dark as Nickelback, and for a band with their first big album they have a sound that is uniquely their own. The lyrics are poignant and moving, from the ballad's Drowning and Sailed Away to the rock anthems of In God's Eyes and Beautiful You. The sound goes from soft to hard to very hard rock, yet remains a unified whole. I am greatly impressed with this first studio release from Saving Able. It is a great album for driving, partying or just hanging out and studying, or for hanging on the back porch with some friends, some brews on the long summer evenings. It has an explicit lyrics warning on the album, but compared Nickelback's Dark Horse this album is very tame in it's lyrics. More hint and innuendo rather than blunt explicit content.

The difference between the Canadian tour edition and the standard edition is an extra slip case cover with different cover art, and a second ep CD with 3 songs, acoustic versions of 18 Days, Addicted and exclusive content release of Only Human. The greatest strength of this album is every artist is featured on different pieces and different parts of some songs. The band is a collective and each member is a strength, where the sum of the parts if greater than the whole. Overall a terribly impressive first album!

(First published in Imprint 2009-04-03.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, April 4, 2009
This review is from: Saving Abel (Audio CD)

(First published in Imprint 2009-04-03.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Saving Something, October 7, 2009
This review is from: Saving Abel (Audio CD)
Saving Abel is a bit of a throw back to big hair / arena rock. Other modern day bands that come to mind are Hinder, Nickelback, and Theory of A Deadman. While they may have some weak lyrics and music at times it is due to the overproduction to make things too slick. The band does have promise. Chances are they may never reach their full potential due to the need to meet the requirements for modern day radio, which has no live cultures on it as opposed to a really good yogurt.

There are four tracks that catch my ear and actually stand out. The rest is sort of, well, fodder that I get bored with quickly. Like I said, this is a band that has promise and if they mature as songwriters both lyrically and musically they might just stick around for awhile. Here's hoping they do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first CD!, May 30, 2008
This review is from: Saving Abel (Audio CD)
This is a great CD, first song to last. Saw them live at the Beale Street Music Fest in Memphis in May, and they put on such a great show. Jared (lead singer) has an awesome voice, and great stage presence. The CD is well mixed too. If you like rock with good a chorus, you'll be pleased!

1.0 out of 5 stars Aweful. Just.. Aweful., August 17, 2009
This review is from: Saving Abel (Audio CD)
In the 90's, music on rock radio included bands like Rage Against the Machine, Alice in Chains, and Tool, with melodic sound, instrumental talent and poetic lyrics like "One great big festering neon distraction/ I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied:/ Learn to swim" The radio now is contaminated with bands such as Hollywood Undead, Theory of a Dead Man, and Saving Abel. With a sound more glossy than most pop songs on the radio in the 90's, stale riffs and cliched lyrics sounding to have been written by a fourteen-year-old. "i'm so addicted to/ all the things you do/ when you're going down on me/ in between the sheets/ all the sounds you make/ with every breath you take/ its unlike anything/ when you're lovin' me"
i listen and cringe with an overwhelming disgust in my stomach paralleling that of a tapeworm or a parasitic worm of some sort, that's growing too large to live in my intestinal tracks any longer.

I beg anyone who enjoys this album to try out bands like Tool, Sublime, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pink Floyd, even System of a Down.
Music with actual substance, poetry, and melody; instead of a catchy chorus
that any boy going through puberty could write. I didnt know you could water down Buckcherry and make it even worse

5.0 out of 5 stars The best band I never heard of...., May 2, 2008
This review is from: Saving Abel (Audio CD)
If you like bands such as Buckcherry, Silvertide, or Hinder, you will love these guys. I do not see how somone can rate these guys at 0 stars, they are great. The lead singer has an awesome voice, and the band sounds fantastic. Well worth the money for the cd.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm a concept in the human race, January 15, 2009
This review is from: Saving Abel (Audio CD)
Out to capitalize on the radio-rock scene, Saving Abel releases upon us their self-titled debut.

Deceivingly releasing Addicted as their lead-off single, people are led to believe that that's basically the type of songs they'll get on the CD. Nope. Not even close. I bought into the hype, sure. I mean come on, Addicted is an impossibly catchy, fun song that just begs to be sung along to. The rest of the CD doesn't really follow suit. Which is fine. I know I don't want ten other carbon copies, but I expected something better than what I was given.

The only other true standouts on here are Drowning (Face Down), Sailed Away, Out Of My Face, and Beautiful You. After numerous listens the others will grow on you, but you'll never readily admit you like them. It'll be more of an "eh, it's an okay song" reaction. That doesn't mean they don't have any good qualities, however. New Tattoo starts things off on a swift note, bringing to mind Nickelback in every way possible. She Got Over Me has a nice sing-along chorus. Beautiful Day is just begging to be released as a single thanks to the overall feel of the song. And Running From You, once again, has a very catchy chorus. PLUS! The guitar melody at the beginning is pretty cool.

There are a few bombs though. 18 Days is nothing but garbage and In God's Eyes seems like it could be good at first but ends up being completely uninspiring.

Your enjoyment of Saving Abel hinders completely on how well you deal with trend bands. I'd like to be able to say they aren't one, since Jared Weeks has a distinctive voice I'd like to hear more of, but all signs point to 'TREND'. Saving Abel, the CD not the band, is in all rights okay though. Not great by any means, there's nothing new brought to the table, only things we've heard done a million times before, but not a bad buy if you can find it cheap.

Saving Abel
Saving Abel by Saving Abel (Audio CD - 2008)