5.0 out of 5 stars Great Economics and a Pleasure to Read
Economic science, like most social sciences, builds upon the works of previous generations. In order to leave time for new research and discovery, the accumulated wisdom of past generations is taught to new generations through summaries in textbooks and lectures.
Published on June 4, 2004 by Joshua C. Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read
Although fictitious and occasionally preachy, this book had several good points which outlined the importance of an economic system run by morals. All in all it was good
Published 15 months ago by Cole lorimer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Economics and a Pleasure to Read, June 4, 2004
This review is from: Saving Adam Smith: A Tale of Wealth, Transformation, and Virtue (Paperback)
This logical progression of economic science makes sense if the ideas and importance of past discoveries can be easily (and properly) conveyed by individuals unfamiliar with the original texts. For example, few physicists need to read the work of Newton to understand his discoveries and their importance to an understanding of how the world works today.
To some extent, the same may not be true about economics. While some ideas, such as a consumption function might be easily conveyed without reading the original texts, the same may not be true of all economic insights. The distillation of a lifetime of work into a few paragraphs may not only fail to properly convey the important nature of an author?s work, but the distillation process might, over time, distort the message so much that it an economists work is frequently interpreted to mean something very different from what was originally intended.
University of Richmond economist Jonathan B. Wight clearly believes this to be the case with Adam Smith. Since few economists today read THE WEALTH OF NATIONS, let alone the book Smith thought was his best THE THEORY OF MORAL SENTIMENTS, their knowledge of his work is often limited to ?the invisible hand.?
The invisible hand is frequently taken to mean that selfishness is enough to make markets work. As Wight demonstrates in the book, Smith?s true insight was that ?selfishness is simply not enough? to make markets work.
Wight has undertaken an important task with this book. Not only is it good fiction (at least to a graduate student in economics), it is good economics and good pedagogy. SAVING ADAM SMITH will do more for economics than 90 percent of the articles in the AMERICAN ECONOMIC REVIEW.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Adam Smith, November 15, 2002
I read Saving Adam Smith because the author, Dr. Jonathan Wight, was coming to my school as a visiting author. I did not know anything about Adam Smith or economics before I read it, but I learned about markets, economy and self interest v. greed. I thought the book was easy to read and I was surprised to understand the economic theory in the book. I liked the adventerous plot that kept me intested. I liked the storyline about the drive across country and all the trouble they got into. It was a fun book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars soulful economics, January 27, 2002
Saving Adam Smith is a remarkably moving, and at the same time instructive novel of ideas. The fictional story to which Smith's ideas are tethered carries the reader along, all the while helping him or her better understand economic and moral principles often buried beneath the dry,lifeless prose of less proficient academic writers. This is a lively and engaging novel that makes a deep and lasting impression. In the age of the Enron debacle, or the S&L scandal, a book like this is essential reading that makes clear the abiding relation between economics and the moral life. Saving Adam Smith is a novel that teaches the mind while nourishing the heart. It is ideal for academic and non academic reader alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Economics for Real Life, February 15, 2003
All anyone ever hears about Adam Smith concerns his Wealth of Nations, everywhere from Economics class to movies like "A Beautiful Mind." This book is a wonderful opportunity to learn more about Adam Smith as a person and about what he really thought. Instead of dry biography, this book brings Adam Smith and his theories about economics and society directly into today's world. The story is funny and the characters are interesting and likeable; the novel makes the economic theories relatively painless. I've heard that a true economist is someone who sees something work in real life and wonders if it would work in theory; I think it's important for people to learn that this icon of economics was more complicated than that, and because of that I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Business Novel -- A Financial Thriller, December 18, 2001
I own my own business, am extreemly busy, and guard my time (especially my free time). I won't go to movies or buy a book unless I know I'm going to enjoy it. So when a friend thrust Saving Adam Smith into my hands, I was a little skeptical. A business novel? What did I need with that? My life is a business novel, why read one for fun? On his recommendation I took it on vacation and picked it up one day ... and I loved it.
It's full of economic sense mixed with a little history and philosophy thrown in, tied up in an exciting story that kept the pages turning. I hate wasting time, which is why I don't usually read fiction. With this book I got enjoyment and learned something useful at the same time. It's definitely a book I'll keep, if I don't loan it to friends first. A great read and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meet the Real Adam Smith, November 14, 2001
By A Customer
Forget all the excitement about John Adams -- Adam Smith is back. This modern day novel is a wonderful way to meet Adam Smith, the economist, philosopher, and believer in people finding happieness. Told with zip, this prose narrative brings back this much misunderstood man, setting a lively story that includes travel and danger as Smith tries to set the record straight after being transported into the body of a mechanic. Students of economy, history, and philosophy should enjoy this book. It could be a cult classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting Economics, November 17, 2001
Darby Williams (San Francisco, California) - See all my reviews
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book. I wasn't really up for reading a textbook, as it was on my honeymoon. Yet, I was tired of reading "escapism" fiction with nothing to show for it. And I was really surprised at how fast a read this was. I started reading it on my plane flight to Europe and finished it before landing. A real mystery... while getting refreshed and retrained in some of the most fundamental principles in economics.
What's your next mystery lesson?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Adam Smitt, May 19, 2013
I wish every economist would read this book to get the breadth of Adam Smith's philosophy. His "Moral Sentiments" is the most important of his writings, and it is the most ignored. "Saving Adam Smith" was fun to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, May 19, 2013
the product was as described and reached my home within a reasonable amount of time and the price was fair.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting to read, January 30, 2013
the book is simple and interesting. It helps one understand how wealth is related to/not related to happiness and other moral values in life. It is an excellent book to understand the difference in values of two economists from two different timelines

ARRAY(0xa52d3e7c)

Saving Adam Smith: A Tale of Wealth, Transformation, and Virtue
Saving Adam Smith: A Tale of Wealth, Transformation, and Virtue by Jonathan B. Wight (Paperback - November 8, 2001)
$24.00 $14.32