5.0 out of 5 stars Saving Baby
Published 21 months ago by elaine s

3.0 out of 5 stars Baby
The book was worth reading and the work she did for the horses was fantastic. I love animals and have grieved with the loss of mine. But, the author seemed obsessed with the loss of Baby and she may not have but it sounded like she put this obsession before her family. i do respect all of the work that she and others have done to save the horses.
Published 12 months ago by Debra Irvin

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving Baby, April 30, 2013
I have never owned a horse. I have never ridden a horse. I have always felt their magnificence when I watched a race on television or saw them in a film. But after reading Jo Annes book, I can no longer be a detached observer. The emotional investment of being an owner is something I cannot realize but after reading her accounting of the highs and the lows of entering the world of horse racing I feel compelled to respond by supporting her efforts to save the horses. Her portrayal of business behind the scenes at the race track was heartbreaking. Horses that needed the care and love of trainers and owners were far too often abused and neglected, yet forced to perform. This book touched my conscience and I needed to do something. Saving horses is a very expensive endeavor but by donating a to a couple of businesses that are actively working to do just that, I am doing something! This book is a "must read". The depth of love Jo Anne has for the horses comes through every experience she describes and puts it in stark contrast with the cruelty that exists in the racing world. I loved this book. Elaine Sisung

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving BABY, May 5, 2013
This is a Great read!!! With true emotions. I couldn't put it down and when I was done I wished there was more. It's a true story. I would give it ten stars if I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars for Saving Baby!, April 30, 2013
Having been a friend of Jo Anne's since shortly after she founded CANTER, I have known of the fierce bond between Jo Anne and Baby, the Thoroughbred colt born into her family and destined to be on the racetrack. Aware of their true story, I've watched how her enduring love for Baby has driven her beyond what any human should be capable of achieving.

Saving Baby will delight you with charming details about horses and life with them, prod you to contemplate our profound connection with them, and urge you to look beyond the glamorous façade of the Thoroughbred horseracing world. I cheered, I laughed, I cried...I could not put it down. Saving Baby is an authentic account that truly rivals the great classic horse stories we all know and love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving Baby, May 6, 2013
Saving Baby is a beautiful example of love, courage and fierce advocacy. This page turner touches every emotion of the human spirit. From the simple pleasures of daily life in the stalls to the lamenting truth of the racetrack scene and so much more...

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving Baby, April 30, 2013
This is a wonderful and inspiring read. While many humans have bred, owned and trained horses for the race track few have reversed their feelings on racing once the perils of the racing industry becomes evident to them. What strength and courage Jo Anne Normile has. Her love for horses is evident from the first page to the last. She lives and breaths equines and has done so much for the on and off track equine.

I guess falling in love with your horse is an issue once you learn the dangers he or she faces on the track. How wonderful to see someone not only improve the life of the race horse but actually start a rescue for race horses.

I was there with Jo Anne when Pat gave birth and loved reading about her efforts to keep her horses safe. To get up in the middle of the night to travel and make sure your horse is o.k. shows the heartfelt devotion Jo Anne has to her horses.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves animals, and to those who have no special affinity for our four legged friends, this book just might change your mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars opens your eyes to the "industry" of Thoroughbred racing, June 4, 2013
A must read, must own, book for everybody with empathy. The story describes a horse loving woman's journey from becoming a race horse owner by sheer coincidence (basically out of love for a horse) and then having to witness the downside of the "industry" with dire consequences for "Baby". The reader learns a lot about how horse racing works while following the "evolution" of Jo Anne into a horse advocate. You might need a Kleenex, but this is a true life story, eye opening and demonstrating that one CAN make a difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Selfless mission, May 11, 2013
I knew nothing about horses or the Horse racing industry prior to reading this book. This is a riveting, incredibly well told story about a passionate woman and her love of horses. Her story goes behind the racetrack and into the trainer's lair. I was shocked to read about the treatment of these horses when they could no longer produce income.

I don't want to give it away but, suffice it to say, you will never look at horse racing the same way after reading this incredible story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible book, May 23, 2013
Fantastic read, she takes you from the beginning of her relationship with horse racing to the on going struggles she is still working on in the industry. I could not put it down. Usually I would take a good 2 weeks to read a book of this size (yes I am a slow reader) but I finished it in 3 days, my wife is in it now and is finding the same thing. Worth twice the price even if it was not good just for the cover art LOL. Buy It, enjoy it and tell someone else to buy a copy, the money goes to a great cause as well.

Jeff Hudson

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional, May 14, 2013
This book is a must read if you like/love horses or not. I myself am afraid of horses and I don't know much about them. In the book JoAnne doesn't assume all her readers will understand horses and explains what she is talking about. It's a powerful story that you can't put down until you read the last page. You will feel her passion and understand why she did what she did. Besides helping us understand what goes on behind the scenes in horseracing it will also inspire you to follow your heart with your passion.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Page Turner True Story, April 30, 2013
Jo Anne takes you step by step through her world and life with horses. In reading her book, you become so attached to her love for these animals and the dedication she has put into the adoption and repurposing of their lives. She has saved so many thoroughbreds and given them new owners and new lives away from the cruel reality of the race track and the almighty dollar that governs their lives. She truly has lived an inspiring life with a purpose and has set an example for animal lovers everywhere. Any man with a conscience that appreciates animals will devour this book. I love animals and was stirred by this book. I recommend it highly.....I could not put it down. Diane Contini

Saving Baby: How One Woman's Love for a Racehorse Led to Her Redemption
Saving Baby: How One Woman's Love for a Racehorse Led to Her Redemption by Lawrence Lindner (Hardcover - October 21, 2014)
$25.99 $19.70