Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 87 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on May 16, 1999
This movie won its awards almost entirely on the strength of its incredibly visualized battle scenes. Then what does Spielberg do? A VHS-only release.
This movie's greatness comes from the award-winning sound and sights, but rather than put the enhanced audio and video capabilities of the DVD format to use, he'd rather stick it in 240 lines of resolution and analog sound.
Unless you missed this in theaters and just can't wait to see what all the talk was about, don't even rent this tape. Wait for the DVD release.
on July 3, 1999
This film tells nothing of D-Day, counting on the generation of today D-Day, they will think that Omaha was the only Beach, and that WW2 was fought by the Great USA, only. No British, Canadians or Poles. It's not a film or a documentary, it's a blood bath, and not accurate. 8 men defending the second bridge over a river, and air support only arrives at the end, (By the way the RAF were the only airforce using rockets, so again NO RESEARCH) Add the gore to the Longest Day and you have a better film and more accurate. I hate people getting History wrong. It's bad for the ego of a country.
44 comments|3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 1999
Perhaps the best shot war film. Perfect use of colors, ie its emphasis in dark and red hues. The slow shutter speed used in this film also brings incredible realism to this movie. Also pretty accurate special effects. Other than than that the movie has a marginal, at best, script and plot. The acting is so-so and the chracters are completely forgetable. But in all fairness I really don't think the point of this movie was to involve the viewer in plot per se, but rather to let the viewer experience, quite accurately, one of the most historic and gruesome day in world history.
on May 25, 1999
As my screenwriting professor says (a voting member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences), Steven Spielberg uses historic events to serve his films instead of using his films to serve these events (WWII, the Holocaust, etc.). Although the subject and cinematography are powerful, Spielberg has yet to learn how to tell a story. He uses the same book-ending device he uses in most of his films (beginning and ending on the American flag) and his structure and characters are formulaic. Do not be deceived by blood and guts parading as true drama.
on August 9, 1999
Sure, the Omaha Beach opening was incredible, but how fast can a movie go downhill? Witness the ridiculously canned premise that takes shape moments later. Pure corn, and a nice cliche Iowa cornfield to use as a backdrop for those Ryan boys. When I saw the Sarge packing French dirt into a canister along with the other canisters from other battles, I knew I was in for a whole lot of ridiculously written war crap. Great directing, Steve, but polish that script a little next time. I think the "Go on without me!" cliche was about teh
on May 1, 1999
I was so glad this didn't win best picture. The stunning open sequence is designed to distract you from a meandering plot, poor charcterizations, and unconvincing dialogue. This film is not a revelatory masterpiece: American Depravity in World War two has been discussed as far back to 1953 in the vastly superior "From Here to Eternity." As I am working on a world war two project, I resent the fact thatI will be accused of being inspired by this over-rated spectacle.
on November 10, 1999
I have Panasonic A310 and I have problem playing the DTS version. The sound and video drops out and forget about chapter 12. The sound and video drops out the picture freezes. It has problems going through the menu also. Amazon was really good about getting me a replacement but the second one does the same thing. I have DTS of Apollo 13 which plays fine. I'm taking both disk and trying it at the local hifi shop to see if it's my player.
on May 26, 1999
most of us humans understand that war is and always has been terrible for lack of many more suitable words.
I am not quite sure the motive behind this movie whether to succomb us to such graphic violence or to show us that war is a game with no holds bar at any stake. Ironically we are still missing some very real trajedies of which if this to be an accurate war picture it has missed. Not to my displeasure. I give this movie two stars
on June 22, 1999
If one were to edit out the opening and closing scenes(the opening for sure, it was done just for shocks) this would easily be the worst war movies ever. Lame acting (on most parts), horrible dialogue, and boring overall. Sure, war is horrible and it was depicted here truthfully, that's why I gave it 2 stars, but if anyone else had directed it, you would be inclined to agree.
on November 9, 1999
I really like the movie but I can't watch my DTS version of the movie. Chapter 12 video and sound breaks up and the picture freezes. I just received my second DTS DVD from Amazon and same thing happens. Has this happened to anybody?