Published on January 12, 2008 by K. Vogel

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks the depth of the fabulous books
The movie, Saving Sarah Cain, lacks the depth and amazing development of the books that Beverly Lewis is so well known & loved for. The story is fine, but is lacking in so much - seems they could've added a good half-hour of character development into the movie at least. Also would've loved to see more in the Amish community.
Published on March 3, 2010 by Judy

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Lewis book now a favorite movie! 5 Stars all the way!, January 12, 2008
K. Vogel (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saving Sarah Cain (DVD)
I was hesitant to buy this movie since I love the book by Lewis and thought no one could make a film to do it justice. I also live in Western PA among Amish and know many well. I didn't think they could be portrayed right either. I was so wrong! Landon did an excellent job! I cried! This movie is so touching! The acting is EXCELLENT! The story of redemption shines through clearly. I have to buy this movie for many who feel like Sarah in the beginning...hurt by life and very hard toward God and others...this movie shows the way back home to God & family... We need more movies like this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very rough start but ends strong, January 29, 2008
J. SHARP (Alabama - United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saving Sarah Cain (DVD)
This adaptation of Beverly Lewis' novel The Redemption of Sarah Cain is another commendable addition to the oeuvre of telefilm producer/director Michael Landon, Jr. Taking great liberties with the plot of the novel, the picture turns the usual Witness-esque story of the 'English' trying to adapt to the life of the Amish on its head. It places the devout orphans of the protagonist's recently departed sister in the heart of a major city and explores the effect it has on their hearts and their family dynamic.

The beginning of the film is worrisome due to extremely clunky dialogue that sounds like it was cobbled from a book of movie journalism cliches. All the editor (played with sorely-needed light humor by Elliott Gould of M*A*S*H and Ocean's 11 fame) needed was a cigar to chomp on and he'd be straight out of a comic strip.

Fortunately, things improve dramatically once Sarah Cain starts interacting earnestly with her sister's children. Landon's skill at drawing convincing performances from kids is highlighted throughout the rest of the film and, by the end, YOU may want to adopt some of them! And leading lady Lisa Pepper (of Anthony Hopkins' indie film Slipstream) is frequently good and shows great potential for success. She's very easy on the eyes (it's part of the Hollywood equation, folks) and definitely plays well opposite children.

My favorite part may be the flashback sequence at the end. I won't spoil it for you but it's very appropriate to the character and is beautiful, ethereal, evocative, and expertly photographed and edited.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to watch - then have family disussion, January 20, 2008
Good FAMILY movie.
It will be a reference point for family discussions about life, values, even death of a parent.
Best of all, no part of this movie is not child friendly.

It didn't "hold" my older girls attention....but I bet she will want to watch it again.
I bought the book too and hope to start it soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful,So Much Better Than The Horrid Book!, May 12, 2008
This review is from: Saving Sarah Cain (DVD)
I came across this film at my library,and I loved it so much that I ordered it immediately.

Then I made the mistake of getting the book "The Redemption Of Sarah Cain" by Beverly Lewis, from my library which portrays Sarah Cain as such an unlikeable person that I quit reading.

This is one of those rare cases where the film is so much better than the book.I am so thankful that Michael Landon Jr. made the changes that he did!

This is a great "family-friendly" movie that I am so glad to own.The actors are all great and the story really draws you in. I can watch it over and over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great family movie, January 18, 2008
This review is from: Saving Sarah Cain (DVD)
I've read only a couple of Beverly Lewis's books, but even seeing the trailer for this movie on another DVD inspired me to look for the book this movie is based on ("The Redemption of Sarah Cain"). Our family enjoyed this movie very much. We're always looking for wholesome movies, and this one fit the bill. It was touching and well-acted. I liked the ending, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice family film, April 6, 2009
This review is from: Saving Sarah Cain (DVD)
I liked this film. No vulgarity, sensuality, nor family offensive scenes. My family enjoyed it also. I would recommend it. Good moral message.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good family film, enjoyable, January 29, 2008
Jay (Bakersfield, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saving Sarah Cain (DVD)
My wife and I both enjoyed the movie very much. The acting was superb, the story line was wonderful, and it is a great movie for the whole family. I only wish their was more of a salvation message in the film. As an evangelical Christian I guess I was hoping to see salvation / baptism / maybe even mention the name of Jesus. While all of that was missing, she did seem to desire a reconnection with God in the end which I suppose is the main point of the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greaaaaaaaaaattttttt!!!!!, February 18, 2008
This review is from: Saving Sarah Cain (DVD)
This is a wonderful movie. There is so much garbage out there today and this is truly great. The children are so cute and the story line is perfect, it is inspiring to see how they tried to adapt to living in the city with their Aunt after suffering the loss of their mother and life as they once knew it. Fix a cup of tea or your favorite refreshment, put this movie in and sit back and relax! It will refresh your soul.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks the depth of the fabulous books, March 3, 2010
Judy (Greater Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, March 26, 2009
This review is from: Saving Sarah Cain (DVD)
In a way this movie is a reversal of A Stranger Among Us. Instead of an outsider visiting an isolated religious community, members of that community visit the outside.
I have long admired the Amish for their steadfast keeping of their faith in the midst of an alien world. And for their colorful traditions. In this movie we show the clash between the two worlds.
The plot is somewhat predictable. A jaded columnist by a curious chain of circumstances, ends up as the guardian of an Amish family. The Amish learn to live among "English" and endure tests to their integrity with varying success. In the process, the collumnists, Sarah Cain, becomes a better and less cynical person. This plot has been seen a thousand times; that isn't really the point. It works because it is good when well done and it was well done here. It was a great movie.
My favorite character was Lyddie the big sister. She was pretty, and had integrity and strong leadership qualities. She could have raised the whole brood herself and in fact Sarah would have been smarter just to delegate almost everything to her.

Saving Sarah Cain
Saving Sarah Cain by Michael Landon Jr. (DVD - 2008)
$14.98 $6.18