There are no customer reviews yet.  Create your own review

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for idiots, but a useful product, November 18, 2010
This review is from: Savogran 10621 Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) 1LB (16oz) (Tools & Home Improvement)
Please be very careful if you're going to use this product in your dishwasher. Too much of it, or leaving it sitting in your washer, will leave some damage. It can easily etch metal or discolor a lot of materials.

However, if you have hard water and your dishwasher is leaving residue or even food, you will probably see improved performance if you add some of this. I suggest you add as little as possible, and adjust as needed. I've put about half a teaspoon on top of the detergent, and it's deployed at the right time in my cycle. It simply makes my dishwasher work again.

Also, this stuff is exceptional at cleaning bathrooms if you add just a bit to a bucket of warm water and bleach. Make sure you don't leave it soaking, though. Honestly, you shouldn't need that much cleaning power very often, but if you put a shower head in that solution, it will remove all scale.

Don't be an idiot: don't touch this with your hands. Don't put it where kids or pets can get near it. Don't put it where you might accidentally knock it over. This isn't Cascade... it's a serious base that will ruin your day if you're an idiot. If your kids get into this stuff, I will find out, and personally come over to stick bubblegum in your hair.

Update: a commenter has helpfully added that if you or your kids inhale or ingest this, you are in deep trouble.

5.0 out of 5 stars TSP got my dishes clean again, April 13, 2011
Amazon Customer "Klesher" (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I was frustrated with filmy and poorly cleaned dishes since the ban on phosphates in dishwashing detergent. I bought the TSP to add back the active ingredient to get my dishwasher working again. It works great! the dishes come out spotless and the inside of my dishwasher even looks and smells cleaner. It only takes a little less than a teaspoon to get it to work so the one pound box should last awhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars sneaky, October 25, 2010
Add a little (about 1/3 cup per box) to phosphate free auto dishwasher detergent and everything will sparkle again. Ta-Da.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get your phosphate detergents back with this, April 14, 2011
Because some states have banned phosphates, all of us now have to suffer for it. When I got this, I poured out a box of dishwashing detergent into a new box while also sprinkling a little of this into it (to mix it together). Now, my dishwasher cleans dishes again. The improvement is astounding. I was using high-priced name brand detergent before, and TSP with store detergent is way better. I did the same with laundry detergent, which also makes clothes come out cleaner.

This also has many other uses for deep cleaning, including lead paint removal. Be careful and use gloves with it. A little goes a long way. These boxes are fairly small, so buy several at once and save some shipping costs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Real TSP (mostly), August 17, 2011
This is real TSP, not the substitute now often sold as "TSP". It is 6.1% phosphorous, notably less than the 8.5% phosphorous of an old container of DAP brand TSP I have here. Neither is pure TSP, but the Savogran product clearly has more "filler" (sodium carbonate AKA washing soda). I use it to improve the performance of phosphorous free dishwasher soap. It works .. but I wish it was purer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Green is good, but TSP is Better, March 16, 2011
Philip Yeates (Belle Plaine, MN) - See all my reviews
I have been frustrated by the dishwashing detergent companies with the poor performance of detergent after phosphates were removed last summer. I have tried products such as Lemi Shine, which helped, but still left a mild film. I also increased grain settings in my water softener hoping adding more salt would help but it did not. Only using phosphates has made my dishes clean again. This product has the phosphates needed to get the job done. Beware of the TSP substitutes out there. Most lowe's and home depot's have pulled the real TSP and replaced them with TSP substitues. They contain sodium carbonate which is the same stuff in the new dishwashing detergent that does not work. It may also be possible to still get the old detergent at some Mom and Pop stores out there. I was able to find a box with phosphates that almost lasted until the TSP arrived.

5.0 out of 5 stars OWSOME CLEANER........, December 10, 2008
I got this cleaner for my clothing and I used it for other kitchen cleaning purposes and it was amazing.
I really recommend this product.
It arrived on time and well packed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Formula For Successful Machine Dishwashing, September 9, 2011
A good dishwasher helps, but the most important elements for successful dish washing by machine are as follows and in this order:

1. Your dishwasher must be in good working order. Pay attention to wash arm condition. Do they turn freely? Check pressurized connections and tubing that routes pump pressure to intermediate and upper wash arms. On many models, the upper wash arm is fed by a moveable connection. Make sure the parts align and that there is no leakage. Leakage will cause inadequate pressure to the wash arms and they will not perform correctly. This will result in poor wash performance.

2. Soft water. Hard water will derail your success in any machine and with any detergent. If you are getting cloudy dishes, suspect your water softness. Install a softener or correct problems with an existing one.

3. Hot water. Most good machines will heat your water during the cycle, but if you have a faulty heater, it may not. If you use granular detergent, it may not completely dissolve if the water is not at least 140 degrees F. Hot water is also essential for sanitizing your dishes.

4. A good detergent. Essentially all dish washing detergents have been required to eliminate phosphates. Phosphates helped to cure some of the problems, but now that they are gone, problems are cropping up. Other factors listed here become more important without phosphates. I will list a detergent option that works great and saves money. It also improves sanitation of your dishes and in your machine:

Buy a good dish washing detergent. In a quart jar with a lid, layer in (2) inches of your detergent and a layer of 1 tsp or real TSP (not a TSP substitute) in alternating layers until the jar is about 80% full. Put the lid on and rotate the jar in the horizontal position to thoroughly mix the contents. When ready to wash dishes, use about 50% of your normal use level of your mixed detergent. To the primary wash detergent, add 1/2 tsp of liquid Dawn detergent. Also, add 1 Tablespoon of liquid bleach. If your dish washer has an extended first wash cycle, select that option. If it has a sani cycle, select that. Run the dishwasher through it's cycles.

If your dishwasher is a long ways from the water heater, run the hot water in the adjacent sink until it is hot so the dishwasher fills with the hottest available water. That will speed things up as the dishwasher won't have to compensate by heating the water. Once the dishwasher fills and starts washing, check inside to see if there are too many suds. If so, cut back on the amount of Dawn you use. Too much Dawn will cause the suds to leak out of the door seals. You don't want that much. A little Dawn is important as it helps to cut any grease on your dishes and makes the remaining detergents more effective. Note that some detergent "bombs" add a little Dawn for that purpose (they are very expensive and you can duplicate their technique). The bleach boosts cleaning power and is a very effective sanitizer in the dishwasher.

Try these techniques and I'll bet you will be very happy with the results!

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't say I notice a difference *UPDATED*, September 12, 2011
**********UPDATE**********
After writing the review below I kept using this product every time I ran the dishwasher. I figured "why not?" and simply continued. After all, I had the product and it couldn't hurt, right? Well, it sure didn't! After washing my dishes with this product numerous times I suddenly noticed how the white film I had not been able to get rid of on my glasses seemed to come off. In fact, after numerous washes some of the glasses are just like when I bought them. All of them are not in such great shape, but most are. And my wine glasses, crystal and non-crystal, are looking really great. So I guess this product does work after all - at least for most of my dishes. I'm not sure why it doesn't work on all of them, but the film has been covering the glass for quite some time so perhaps it has almost become part of the glass. In either case, I am very happy I kept on using this product day after day, week after week. It does work. It just takes time.
**********END UPDATE**********

I purchased this product to add to my dishwasher in order to get rid of the white-ish film on glasses and make everything cleaner. Unfortunately, I cannot say I notice a difference (and I've tried to vary how much I put in the machine), so this product really has done nothing for me. This is unfortunate, since grocery store products such as Lemi-Shine also seem to have no or almost no effect in my dishwasher. I've tried to soak it with these products in order to get rid of old deposits of whatever, but there is still no effect.

I took a chance purchasing this product, and hoped that some of the reviewers were right in saying this enhanced their dishwashers' result. It is too bad it didn't work for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars TSP the real thing, October 2, 2010
Only REAL TSP does the job TSP was intended to do. The stuff they sell in the stores in GA labeled TSP substitute really sucks.