4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book About French Pronunciation
I used this book in my French phonetics course in college. It was a good textbook, but like most textbooks, it had a few flaws.

Published on August 19, 2007 by Brandon Simpson

3.0 out of 5 stars Errors in the Book
My french phonetics teachers actually has to correct some of the things in the books because some have errors, while other don't... and we all have the same edition. Other than that this book is ok, but beware of errors!!
Published 19 months ago by B

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book About French Pronunciation, August 19, 2007
This review is from: Savoir Dire: Cours de Phonétique et de Prononciation (French Edition) (Hardcover)

The entire book is written in French, so it's good for instructors who believe that the text they're using should be written in the target language. It starts out with the vowels first. In fact, most of the book deals with articulating the vowels correctly, a very important thing to do in French pronunciation.

It doesn't deal with the consonants in very great detail. It doesn't discuss the "dark l," and I don't think this book uses proper transcription when transcribing English.

This book contains the following chapters:
1.Les organes de la parole et les symboles phonetique
2. La prosodie
3. Etude detaillee des voyelles orales
4. Etude detaillee des voyelles nasales
5. Le e muet
6. Les semi-voyelles
7. Etude des consonnes

I also used Glanville Price's book "An Introduction to French Pronunciation" as a complimentary text to "Savoir Dire."

Brandon Simpson

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book on French Pronunciation written in French, June 1, 2010
I've purchased 30+ books on the French language. This is the best book I've seen, written in French, not English, on the subject of French pronunciation. The best book written in English is: Exercises in French Phonics by Nachtmann.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I knew about this book sooner !, November 18, 2013
I took traditional college courses in Italian and French. I lived in Italy and became "fluent enough" just through daily contact with people. And I really loved speaking Italian!

I also lived in France, but I was ashamed of the horrid pig-butchering sounds coming from my mouth, and was frustrated that even the kindest most patient people had no clue what I was trying to say ! I always wished the French could just pronounce their words more clearly, and maybe spruce up their spelling just a bit.

The sad truth : French is really, really hard to pronounce properly unless you know what you are doing ! The happy truth : with some diligence on your part and some clear guidance, it is possible to overcome these difficulties and learn to *enjoy* speaking French out loud.

I am only 1/4 of the way through this book, but it has already helped me profoundly. I was intimidated at first by the idea of using IPA, but the truth is - for a self learner - you don't need much. Most of the symbols are obvious, and the new (weird) ones usually correspond to the new (weird) sounds you *absolutely* must master. So it all works out !

If you are in fact learning on your own, you can save a buck or two (understatement) by buying the older edition. French hasn't changed that much in a few years !

The book is in French, so it is not for complete beginners. But the language used is really quite simple and clear, so don't be too afraid. Also (and I worried about this) it really *is* possible to learn about pronunciation from a printed book. Some exposure to native speakers making the correct sounds is important, but there's enough on YouTube to cover that. What the book provides is a very clear analysis of how to use those sound elements to produce (non-hideous!) French speech.

There are surely other books out there, so I can't compare. But I encourage anybody wanting to speak French with any success at all : absolutely positively do take the study of pronunciation seriously ! It will make a huge difference in your enjoyment of the language. IMO, Mme. Dansereau's book was everything I could have wanted.

3.0 out of 5 stars Errors in the Book, April 10, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, December 20, 2012
This book really was wonderful--- despite publisher's mistakes of typing ( not just my copy but there were different little mistakes here and there in others). However, I would like to point out that this was an extrememy helpful book.

Fast Shipping!

Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, October 16, 2014
Arrived as promised earlier than I expected. Great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 29, 2014
It was errthing I expected

4.0 out of 5 stars textbook for class, February 13, 2014
Book for class. I have no choice or options. Wishing that it got herr when I needed it but hey it's here now

1.0 out of 5 stars What A Rip Off?, August 8, 2013
This is a totally rip off and highway robbery for this book. As people can see and must realize that
Authors, publishers all work together to rob people's hard earned money. The book is positively not
worth $100.00, but I saw somewhere sells for $195.00 for the same book.

Stop robbing people's hard earned money unless you need for medical emergency.

Savoir Dire: Cours de Phonétique et de Prononciation (French Edition)
Savoir Dire: Cours de Phonétique et de Prononciation (French Edition) by Diane Dansereau (Hardcover - January 9, 2006)
$149.95 $114.36