5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Tool for the Visual Learner
I bought Alice's cookbook at a book signing at Third Place Books in Lake Forest Park about a week and a half ago. I have it on my coffee table and I am still looking at the pictures, reading and enjoying the visual experience. I have never been great in the kitchen and unless I follow a recipie the dish doesn't taste great and many times doesn't even look appealing...
Published on June 13, 2012 by Monica Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Is there a typo?
So far I have only made the chocolate chip cookies-they were indeed delicious but there were only 21 cookies-not 40 as the recipe stated. I wonder if measuring out two tablespoons of dough was a typo?
Published 2 months ago by Susan W. Shepard

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Tool for the Visual Learner, June 13, 2012
This review is from: Savory Sweet Life: 100 Simply Delicious Recipes for Every Family Occasion (Paperback)
Two days after I purchased the book, I had a coffee date scheduled at home. I decided to try making the peach croissants.This was a gutsy move for me because I have never used puff pastry and did not even know where to find it at the grocery store. Well, I was so pleased and proud that they turned out just right. They even looked almost as beautiful as the photo in the book. Best of all they really did taste like a bakery confection! WOW.
OK so now I'm on a roll. I have enough confidence to try something else. The next day I made the Chop Chop Salad for dinner. It turned out beautiful-picture perfect- and got rave reviews from the family.
There is another element of this cookbook that is fabulous. The recipies do not require more than a few ingredients and do not require loads of preparation time.
I adore this book. I am no Martha Stewart but I don't need to be now that I have this cookbook. I can prepare and serve delicious and gorgeous food with confidence. Thank you Alice Currah.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this cookbook!, June 20, 2012
My general rule when browsing cookbooks is if I get to more than 5 recipes that I wouldn't make then I put it down, no matter how pretty the pictures. I saw this one on display and picked it up and page for page it was a recipe I wanted to make and seemed easy enough that I actually would make most of the recipes. I carried it around with me for 3 days just pouring over each recipe, it's beautiful! My daughters (10 & 8) made the pound cake all by themselves, I was a little worried, but it was FANTASTIC. I told my husband to hide it so I would quit eating it. I also made the pear/gorgonzola salad which also was amazing, the dressing is unique and delicious. This is my favorite cookbook ever!!! I want to buy it for my friends and family as a gift. You will not be disappointed! I can't wait to make more.

5.0 out of 5 stars I could drink the peanut sauce by the gallon!, July 4, 2012
Reviewers thus far have it right, Alice's book is truly worth five-stars. The book is beautifully written with heart warming stories, and beautifully photographed. For those of us that really like a lot of photos in our cookbooks there's a photo for pretty much every single recipe. The cookbook is organized differently than others. Rather than by the usual Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Desserts it is organized by event like "Sunday Mornings", or "Block Party", and "Game Day", etc. This is great for making it a fun cookbook to read, but can be frustrating later when you want to skip right to recipes according to traditional categories. Fortunately, the author was smart about that and provides a list of recipes by such categories in the back of the book before the index.

So far, I've made the Thai marinated chicken skewers (so amazing and full of flavor, and SIMPLE to make), the accompanying coconut sauce (which I could drink by the gallon by itself--also really easy to make), the cucumber salad, the heavenly almond pound cake (though this has a sinful amount of butter [4 sticks] and cream cheese [8oz] in it, but is certainly delicious and melts in your mouth), and finally, Alice's "best ever chocolate chip cookies."

Now, while I can't say that they are truly the best ever, given that there are probably, literally, a million different chocolate chip cookie recipes out there, these cookies are definitely up there. Very soft, chewy, and great ratio of chocolate to dough. If you care to try Alice's cookie recipe, she has it posted on her blog, and once you make it you should know that they are a preview to how good the other recipes are in her cookbook. In fact, these cookies inspired me to do a blog post (you can check out the post at Baker With a Cause) about a chocolate chip cookie sampler where I compare 3 chocolate chip cookie recipes (one of which is Alice's, and the others are from Joy the Baker, and Joanne Chang's cookies from her cookbook flour). Her recipe is definitely a keeper! And the book is a wonderful addition to any cookbook collection, especially if you have kids and are thinking of ways to add both kid and adult-friendly meals to your cooking repertoire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Food, Easy To Make,Fabulous Pictures!, June 12, 2012
This recipe book has simple, extremely tasty recipes, and it is packaged with stunning photos. If I am aiming to make a meal that tells my friends or family that I love them, I have learned that turning to savorysweetlife.com is the perfect solution - especially for picky eaters or those who have food restrictions. This paper book solves my dilemma of needing to refresh a screen due to forgetting the next step of a recipe due to motherhood multitasking. The cooking tips are very useful and I feel this style of book has helped me to try new combinations of food and it has expanded my cooking knowledge and horizons. The only critique I have is that I have found it hard to go back and find recipes I mentally noted due to the way the index is organized. However, the way it is organized has helped me to see recipes I had previously skimmed over... It is still a winner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal, beautiful and useful, June 11, 2012
This stunning book captures the life of a loving and busy family. The food is inventive, practical and approachable. It's not just food that causes you to drool over the gorgeous images, it's food that makes you want to jump into the kitchen and start cooking. Then when the cooking is done you'll want to pick up the book again and read her sweet stories of the life lived surrounding the food. So happy to have this book in my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delicious addition to your cookbook shelf!, June 12, 2012
I feel blessed to have met Alice when I first started blogging and am so excited for the release of her first cookbook. Whether you are a beginning home cook or more experienced in the kitchen, Alice's cookbook has recipes that are well-written and easy to follow. I especially love that there is a photograph for each recipe, which is also helpful to visualize what the finished dish will look like, but is also a joy because Alice's photography is always stunning, colorful and well-composed. I am proud to own a copy of this cookbook and even prouder to call Alice a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook!, June 12, 2012
Savory Sweet Life is a great cookbook from a great blog!

There are so many great recipes. I cant wait to try them all. So far so good on the ones I have. The fiesta corn salad was excellent and so easy. And the spicy sausage kale bean soup was yummy.

The book reads well, I read it cover to cover the night it was delivered.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, June 11, 2012
Alice from Savory Sweet Life is one of my favorite authors and food bloggers! Her recipes are always spot on which is something I appreciate being a private chef. I know I can always use her recipes and they will have awesome results. Her first cookbook is a beautiful extension of her site and the recipes and photos are both spectacular! I can't wait to continue cooking from this cookbook!

- Gaby Dalkin

5.0 out of 5 stars everyday gourmet recipes :0), June 15, 2012
I like the organization of the book, according to events, how life is! the recipes are easy, and tasty. I made two of the recipes already, the kale chips, and the bell pepper sauce. all of my kids liked the snacks and were coming back for more. thanks for making this kid-friendly, busy mom friendly cookbook. I feel like i can do everyday gourmet meals, or bring something amazing to a party, when i don't have very much time. You rock!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hidden Gem, March 19, 2013
C. Grant "deva50" (St. Charles, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Love this cookbook! Not for the every day mundane stuff but when looking for something a bit different yet still easy. It's divided by occasions when you would look for something different: Mother/Father Day, Game Day, Summer Gatherings, Potluck, etc. The recipes range from Oven Baked French Toast (which is the first EXCELLENT recipe of it's sort I've ever had!) to Crab Lemon Basil Pasta to Ganache Brownies. Only a few recipes are ones I've seen or made with their own unique twist. Also, each recipe has a gorgeous (usually) full page photo of the dish. This has become one of my all time fav, often used, cookbooks. Love it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›