5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for HRT
Published on April 10, 2011 by R.E. Burke

3.0 out of 5 stars Saw Palmetto Extract 320
I was told this was a good supplement to promote a healthy bladder. I bought it because this company is well known and has a good reputation. So it's no fault to the seller but this product,did nothing for me! I used the bottle up and saw no results in it other than the loss of money spent on buying it!
Published on January 5, 2013 by Buck Larou

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for HRT, April 10, 2011
This review is from: Saw Palmetto Extract 320 mg - 90 Softgels (Health and Beauty)
I tend to be very wary of supplements like saw palmetto due to the oft-exaggerated claims regarding male health. Nonetheless, my research indicates that saw palmetto tends to retard the degradation of testosterone. As a result, some doctors suggest it as an adjunct for testosterone replacement therapy. Since I am on hormone replacement therapy, I started using it on my own to see if it was beneficial in this respect. So far, it does in fact seem to sustain the effects of the shots that I get, and overall it should help me to avoid the drop-off effect at the end of each shot's effectiveness.

Beyond this, saw palmetto is alleged to help with prostate functioning, frequent urination, etc. Again, it seems to have this effect with me. This is especially welcome for older men who may have difficulty sleeping well due to urination.

While I started with one capsule a day, I currently take two. This seems to be the most effective approach for my particular situation. Those choosing to use this supplement should not expect anything too dramatic. The effects are gradual and subtle, at least in my case. I hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supercritical CO2 extraction is the cleanest extraction method known today, July 16, 2011
The highest quality oil comes from the extraction method, using liquid carbon dioxide and ultra-high pressure to extract the oil from the berries. According to Dr. Moerck, supercritical CO2 extraction is the cleanest extraction method known today, aside from eating the food whole. And, the higher the pressure used, the more micronutrients are left in the oil, such as lutein, lycopene, zeaxanthin, and chlorophyll.

There are a number of nutrients that have been used traditionally. One of them is organic pumpkin seed oil, which is a good nutrient... It's slightly less effective than saw palmetto [alone]... because it is a different mechanism of action.

However, when buying a combination product, beware that saw palmetto oil is far more expensive than pumpkin seed oil. Some supplements will therefore contain mostly pumpkin seed oil and very little saw palmetto oil, resulting in a less effective product. Remember the threshold of what you want, as far as a daily dose, is a minimum of 320 mg of the saw palmetto oil.

I would not go more than twice that [amount]. I have to also mention that the fatty acids in saw palmetto are free fatty acids. They're very acidic. If you take a lot of it, it could cause some stomach upset. I recommend taking it with food.

You don't want to take saw palmetto on an empty stomach because it's a fat soluble supplement, so it will not absorb well without a little bit of fat. I recommend taking it with eggs, which contain phospholipids that enhance absorption of fat soluble nutrients.

The other nutrient that works well with saw palmetto is lycopene, and there's a growing body of evidence indicating that lycopene is beneficial for prostate health. One excellent food source is tomatoes, including organic, non-sweetened tomato sauce. Animal studies have shown that of all the carotenoids, lycopene is the one that accumulates in the prostate of male animals, and this holds true for humans as well.

The prostate is a very important organ. It just so happens to have the urinary tract that goes right through the middle of it. So that when your prostate starts growing or swelling, it will cut off urinary flow... There has been some good reports of lycopene helping that.

It is also one [nutrient] that is being investigated to prevent prostate cancer. I'm not making any claims about that. I'm just saying it's being investigated for that, and it's something that I'm going to keep an eye on. It's very interesting.

A third nutrient that has been found to offer significant protection against prostate cancer is vitamin K2 from natto.

Diet is another factor that can greatly impact prostate health. You'll want to eat as much organic (preferably raw) food as possible. Foods that support prostate health include vegetables and fruits rich in vitamins, cartenoids, and lycopene. One 2009 study identified the following foods as being particularly beneficial against prostate cancer:

Tomatoes
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Green tea

Limit carbohydrates like sugar, fructose, and grains as much as possible to maintain optimal insulin levels, which will help reduce your cancer risk in general. Highly processed or charcoaled meats, pasteurized dairy products, and trans fats correlate with an increased risk for prostate cancer and should also be avoided.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works!, September 3, 2011
My husband has taken this for the first time for his enlarged prostate. He's struggled with this for years and tried everything prescription available...with no effect. He's taken this for a few weeks now, and it's beginning to work. He is ecstatic!!!
This brand is the best on the market. I thoroughly researched it. It seems there are three different methods of making this product, and the brand "NOW" takes no short-cuts! I trust this brand implicitly. It has never failed me!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one you are looking for!, August 30, 2013
I am a pharmacist but I will keep it short. I have been using high dose saw palmetto for many years and it is getting harder and harder to find anything that works. I have tried several brands and most available brands are worthless. I tried to find a less expensive brand but kept coming back to this one with pumpkin seed oil from NOW. Don't waste money on any other brand. This is the one you are looking for! I do recommend you take it with a high-fat meal to increase absorption and to help buffer its high acidity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Saw Palmetto Extract 320 mg, December 28, 2011
Seems to work ok. It helps drain the lizard without hesitation or burning. It is worth a try especially for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars The last Dr I saw recommended either Flomax or Jalyn, August 7, 2014
Randrew109 (Vestal, NY USA) - See all my reviews
For years I have been diagnosed with an enlarged prostate. About a year ago the incidence of having to get up in the middle of the night to urinate began to increase from once or twice a night to once almost every 2 hours. My quality of life deteriorated drastically due to not getting a decent night's sleep. I was grumpy and irritable. The last Dr I saw recommended either Flomax or Jalyn. I later read about the side effects (especially of Jalyn) and decided to try supplements instead. I ordered saw palmetto, pygeum, and stinging nettle. I take one each in the a.m., then one each of pygeum & stinging nettle in the afternoon, and then one each of stinging nettle and saw palmetto a few hours before retiring. I have been on this regimen for nearly 3 months now and I am very, very satisfied with the results. Within a few days, my nightly trips to the bathroom were reduced from the previous 3-4 or more, to 1-2; after a few weeks, I now have to get up maybe once (and if I don't drink coffee or lots of other liquids after dinner, I may not have to get up at all!). And when I do urinate, the stream is strong and I seem to empty my bladder more fully and without strain. I have noticed no side effects at all with these supplements. I am uncertain exactly which combination of the three supplements is the most effective. Many think the saw palmetto is the stalwart one, made more effective by either (or both) of the others. The price is so reasonable, however, that I will continue to take all three of them. I strongly recommend you give them a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Other uses, July 6, 2013
Although this product is listed as a men's prostate supplement it is actually useful for ladies as well. It helps with acne and urinary tract problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great supplement for middle aged men, June 2, 2014
I'm 39 years old. Five months ago I was taking pseudoephedrine for sinus trouble. This caused me to have difficulty urinating. Since it had never bothered me before, I purchased this product to reduce my prostate size. It worked perfectly. Also, as a 39 yr old my hair was thinning, just on the crown of my head, and had been doing this very slowly since I was about 34. I decided to continue to take saw palmetto after my first bottle was empty. Only one a day. It has been 5 months and amazingly I have more hair. I didn't want to jinks myself by saying anything (jk), but I really believe there is extra hair now where I was thinning. It's not a major increase, but honestly I see more. I have fine hair anyway...so adding anything is an improvement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, March 30, 2010
Ed Baker (Hermiston, OR USA) - See all my reviews
Good, and effective, product. Service was excellent. This is my second order from this supplier for this product; but it won't be my last.

3.0 out of 5 stars Saw Palmetto Extract 320, January 5, 2013