5.0 out of 5 stars very sobering, April 26, 2010
N. Mutfwang (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Saw the Welsh Revival (Paperback)
This account is very sobering for the fact it shows us how far we have digressed from the "True moving of the Holy Spirit"...indeed God is not the God of the past, but He is the same yesterday, today, and forever...we are not to try to go back and "re-create" the past glory, but this book should generate a hunger and passion to seek the moving of God among us again in our present generation!

4.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual wonder, May 28, 2014
KmVictorian (Central Illinois) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
In the early 1900s, the country of Wales was swept by overwhelming spiritual revival. David Matthews, a professional musician, was present in many of the revival’s services and recorded his experiences in his memoir called “I Saw the Welsh Revival.”

Matthew tells how thousands of people were converted, especially the country’s young people, coal miners, and the poor. Customary churchly restraint was gone, the author says. “Tears and laughter were intermingled. Songs and sobs filled the air.” Scenes similar to the New Testament book of Acts were re-enacted, and the effect was like being in a “spiritual maelstrom.”

Many mainline churches were appalled, but society at large benefited. The poorest homes “rang with glad songs of praise where blasphemy and cursing had been the order of the day.” Public houses and taverns sat empty, as customers went to revival services instead. At one place the local courts had no cases to try, because no crimes were being committed.

Among Matthews’ precious reminiscences was listening in a service as uneducated miners sang a wonderful, extemporaneous song. There was “no choir, no conductor, no organ--just spontaneous...soul-singing,” the author says. In that unlikely venue, the educated Matthews suddenly gave up his intellectual reservations about what was occurring around him. “Heaven came into my heart that very moment,” he says. He later became a minister.

Woven through the book is a description of the career of young Evan Roberts, a Welsh ministerial student who was one of the prominent leaders of the revival. Later on, Roberts apparently re-assessed the happenings of the revival and wrote critically about it. David Matthews records more briefly this somewhat mysterious episode.

“I Saw the Welsh Revival” is available on Kindle. The book is fascinating, but I’ve given it four stars overall because the author spends so much time, especially at the book’s opening, in sermonizing and philosophizing about the revival.

4.0 out of 5 stars I saw the Welch Revival, February 9, 2013
I SAW THE WELCH REVIVAL
Very good history of the revival. Very encouraging! I recommend it to anyone who is hungry for more of God.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 30, 2014
This review is from: I Saw the Welsh Revival (Paperback)
This book is motivational and gets you wanting more!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 13, 2014
Excellent account of the mighty move of God that swept Wales in the early 1900's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 25, 2014
Great

I Saw the Welsh Revival
I Saw the Welsh Revival by David Matthews (Paperback - June 2002)
$8.99 $7.63