5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes leftovers can be just as sweet
The killers are such a talented and innovative synth rock group that every song they touch is potential gold. Their Midas touch is apparent on this album, which is a collection of unreleased tracks from previous albums, b-sides, covers, remixes, and one terrific new track.

Published on November 14, 2007 by Amanda Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars The Raw And The Cooked.
Published on December 14, 2007 by Jason Stein

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes leftovers can be just as sweet, November 14, 2007
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)

Seventeen tracks make for a long and enjoyable listening experience, starting with the new track and first single "Tranquilize" which was recorded with Lou Reed. This is simply one of the best songs I've heard in a while, and has been playing (loudly) on "repeat" as I write this.

Covers: Shadowplay (originally by Joy Division); Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town (The First Edition, which included Kenny Rogers); Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits).

B-sides and remixes: All the Pretty Faces; Under the Gun; Where the White Boys Dance; Show You How; Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll; Who Let You Go?; The Ballad of Michael Valentine; Daddy's Eyes; Sam's Town; Mr. Brightside, Questions with the Captain (very short, very hidden track).

Previously unreleased tracks: Leave the Bourbon on the Shelf; Sweet Talk.

Other: Move Away (remix of track from Spiderman 3).

It's almost impossible to recommend specific tracks, but if I was forced to choose, I'd go with:

Tranquilize
Sweet Talk
Shadowplay
Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town
Mr. Brightside

Try the samples on Amazon, and then if you agree with me, buy the album or at least these tracks - they're more than worth the price.

Amanda Richards, November 14, 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars "Take me to the place where the white boys dance...", November 27, 2007
ADRIENNE MILLER (Murfreesboro, TN.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
The Killer's Sawdust contains b-sides and rarities, and one new track called Tranquilize featuring Lou Reed. To my delight, Sawdust is an enjoyable album, the unreleased tracks have great melodies and interesting lyrics. Some of the tracks I have heard before like The Ballad of Michael Valentine, Glamorous Indie Rock & Roll, and Under the Gun from the Hot Fuss Special Edition LP. Some of my favorite songs from Sawdust include: Sweet Talk, All The Pretty Faces, Move Away, Who Let You Go?, Romeo & Juliet, Leave the Bourbon on the Shelf, Daddy's Eyes, Where the White Boys Dance, and Sam's Town (Abbey Road Version). Hard to believe some of these songs didn't make it on their last two studio albums, The Killers continue to churn out pop/rock masterpieces. Get Sawdust today!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Raw And The Cooked., December 14, 2007
Jason Stein (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
I own numerous b-side compilations from many different artists. I also own both of The Killers cds "Hot Fuss" and "Sam's Town". Generally speaking, b-side compilations tend to be on the average side--unfinished, rough drafts of songs that didn't quite make the cut. Every once in a while I find a b-side compilation that contains a-sides, or songs that should have made the Top 40. Case in point, Pet Shop Boys 1995 b-side compilation "Alternative". More often than not, however, b-side compilations are a mixed blessing such as Tears For Fears' "Saturnine Lunatic & Marshal" or Cake's "B-Sides & Rarities". Even U2's second discs from "Best Of U2 1980-1990" and "Best Of U2 1990-2000" were hit and miss.

So what about "Sawdust"? Well, there are some good songs like their cover of Joy Division's "Shadowplay", their cover of Kenny Rogers' "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town"(although Cake's version is equally as good), and their cover of Dire Straits' "Romeo & Juliet". Other reasonably good songs include the remix of "Mr. Brightside", the Abbey Road version of "Sam's Town", "Who Let You Go?", "Where The White Boys Dance", "Under The Gun", "Leave The Bourbon On The Shelf", "All The Pretty Faces" and "Glamorous Indie Rock And Roll" and maybe even "Move Away". The other songs felt average to me. I was particularly disappointed with "Tranquilize" and Lou Reed. I've heard much better from Reed and The Killers and "Tranquilize" felt like such a waste of a potentially great moment.

I agree with some of the other reviewers here that with only two cds The Killers are pushing it here. Most artists don't put out a b-sides until they have at least 5 or 6 albums out, sometimes much more. Yet, I see the Gorillaz have done the same thing with their "D-Sides" after only two cds (which I will review next week). Overall, "Sawdust" is fifty-fifty. There's some good songs and some not-so-good songs. I didn't feel there were any great songs here. "Hot Fuss" and "Sam's Town" contain some great songs surrounded by some good songs. "Sawdust" is just a stop-gap between albums, and a chance for The Killers and the record company to cash in at the holiday time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sawdust, November 13, 2007
liesse00 (North Central Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
This is a collection of songs that were either unrecored or released as B-Sides overseas. They're all good songs but there is one that stands out and it's Sweet Talk. You will love this song from the moment it starts and it gets better as it goes along. Leave the Bourbon On the Shelf is another new one that is being released for the first time and is part of a trilogy of songs. Bourbon is the first part of murder trilogy about a girl named Jennifer, then you will have to go back to Hot Fuss and play Midnight Show, then finish it off with Jenny Was a Friend of Mine. It's alot of fun to play them all in a row and listen to how it all plays out. Look around online and find the footage of them playing them all in a row for the first time, it's great. I would definatly reccomend this for everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps You Satisfied, November 13, 2007
ChrisL (So. California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
This latest Killers release of leftover cuts, re-mixes and covers is just good enough to keep you satisfied until the next release of all-new material. Even though some of these tracks were left off of their two previous releases, Hot Fuss and Sam's Town, the tracks still stand up on their own and are true to the Killers style. These songs are fun and above all, they rock! It is definitely worth the $8.99 price tag.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Above Average Collection Of B-Sides And Covers, March 2, 2009
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
I was very skeptical when I first purchased Sawdust. I wasn't exactly sure how good a collection of songs that didn't make the cut for their original albums could actually be. Thankfully, it only took a couple listens to realize that the CD was easily worth the money I paid for it. Many songs will have you immediately hooked from the second you hear them, such as Tranquilize, Move Away, The Ballad of Michael Valentine, Romeo And Juliet, and the new version of Sam's Town.

The only real album flaws are in one of it's 17 tracks, and that song is the Mr. Brightside remix. Personally, I've never been a fan of techno music, and this remix is just too electronic-sounding for me to enjoy. The 10+ minute running time isn't doing it any favors either. It doesn't ever come close to beating the original version.

Excluding another track or two that feel unremarkable compared to the rest of the album (like Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town and Shadowplay), I really did enjoy this album for what it was. It tells you something about a band when it's cut tracks are still better together than many full albums today. And so what if a couple tracks aren't that great? It's got 17 songs on it! You're bound to enjoy much more than you hate, and that gets Sawdust a 4/5 from me.

P.S. If you actually decide to listen to Mr. Brightside (Jacques LuCont's Thin White Duke Remix), wait until the last 50-some seconds of the song to hear a hidden, funny bonus song. It's short, but it's a cool little Easter Egg that's bound to put a smile on your face.

4.0 out of 5 stars More than pastiche, May 10, 2008
Steven Reynolds (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
For a collection of B-sides, bonus tracks, leftovers and covers this is surprisingly good. Unsurprisingly, it proceeds in pretty much the same postmodern mode The Killers established so successfully with their first two albums: an engaging fusion of contemporary pop-rock and 80s references that shouldn't work but almost always does. You can hear The Cure, Duran Duran, U2 and even Queen in these tracks. "Shadowplay" sounds like The Stone Roses doing a minor-key reworking of the theme from "The Banana Splits". Sometimes homage even crosses over into the real thing, as in the opener, "Tranquilize", where frontman Flowers does his best to sound like Lou Reed - then the real Lou Reed turns up. There are some gems here, such as "Leave the Bourbon On the Shelf" (crank it up, it's great loud) which seems to be another in the 'Jennifer' cycle, the masterfully ambiguous "Where The White Boys Dance" with its superb grinding baseline and early 80s funk guitar, the angsty "All the Pretty Faces", and the beautiful "Sweet Talk". The Killers work because they're about more than pastiche. Even when they're apparently goofing around or being completely melodramatic (which is often) the songs are beautifully crafted, lyrically interesting, informed by an intriguingly ambiguous sexuality, and grounded in real emotional experiences - often dark ones - that are recognizably our own. In the end, the emotional landscape feels as familiar as it sounds. That's why it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised these songs didn't make it, November 21, 2007
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
I was hesitant to purchase the whole CD, but for 10 bucks I did it and was very pleased. I love all 17 tracks even the songs I've heard before. The abbey road version of Sam's Town is captivating. The killers have their own unique sound and are multi-talented making the two covers better than the originals. IT's WORTH IT

4.0 out of 5 stars Sawdust Review, June 16, 2008
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
Overall, this album has been extrodinary! Expecially the new songs stand out veru well, and I don't quite get why it is The Killers least bought Album. i think This, for sure, is the Kilelrs least-rock album, with more of a poppy, synth style for them.

Track List:

1. Tranquilize
This song is very different from the Killers normal songs. First of all, it features the songwriter/singer Loue Reed. It is very strange, almost as if they are talking. It is a great song, overall. All there voices blended together makes a beautiful sound. Another weird thing about this song, is that at the end of the first chorus, Children sing around four lines of words. This song is great, It won an Award for "Best Song" in NME 2008.

2. Shadowplay
This song sounds very 80's pop with the drums, which makes it interesting for The Killers to play. They did a cover of Joy Division's Shadowplay. In my opinion, The Killers made it at least 10 times better! It sounds so much more upbeat and rock! The guitar really makes the song in the third verse, when there are three different parts running through eachother, that really makes the song to me. The Singers voice sounds strange, as if it was dulled down, to seem creepier or something, but it just makes the song better! I love this song, and think it's one of the best songs on the album. But then again, i think at least 7 of them are the best on the album.

3. All The Pretty Faces
This song is so exciting! I think this is one of the best on the albums to! First there is soft synth, then the guitar plays slowly, to begin the song, then the drums come in, and everything is perfect by the time Brandon starts singing "Help me out, I need it!" over and over. I think the song is truelly PERFECT until the chorus comes along, and in my opion, ruins pretty much the whole song. The chorus isn't strong at all, I really don't like it, it doesn't match with the rest of the song. But then when it's over, it conects again by saying "I don't feel like, I don't feel like, I Don't feel like loving you." and it all fits together again. This song is AMAZING, except for the chorus! :)

4. Leave The Bourbon on The Shelf
As if right now, this song is my favorite song. In the beginning it sounds like your in the garage actually listening to the band, which is awesome, and then the guitar starts and the song sounds oddly familiar. Ten when Brandon starts singing, his voice is muffled or radio-ized or something, and it's amazing. Then when he gets to the chorus, his voice gets a little less muffled, and then another time it goes completely normal. The song is so great, and it's so upbeat, and garagey. This song is really good for when you need comforting. This song always cheers me up! at the very end, everything is stopped except his voice, which makes it fel like your at a concert

5. Sweet Talk
This is, I think, still my altime favorite song on this album. It's by far the most poppy song of ALL THEIR SONGS. it has synth through about the entire song, and BRandon sings very highly, and he does it with no struggles like the way his voice sounded in Sam's Town, which I thought, put a character in him, and made all the songs better. THe lyrics in this song are VERY goos. the first fourt lines
"Lift me up on my honor,
take me over this spell
Get this weight off my shoulders,
I've carried it well"
This song is the best. I was my favorite song for almost a month which is a REALLY long time for me. :) It sounds nothing like the killers to me, almost like a different band. But I love it sooooooo much

6. Under THe Gun
Another AWESOME SONG! I beleive this song was released before on Hot Fuss's Limited edition, along with Glamorous Indie rock and roll. This song does sound just like Hot Fuss style, if you liked that. The song just basically reminds me of all the other songs on Hot Fuss, but defenitly the ones up there with Mr. Brightside & All These Things That I've Done.

7. Where The White Boys Dance
This is NOT one of my favorites. The song is strange check out the first few lyrics
"Take me to the place where the white boys dance
Take me to the place where they run and play
my baby is gone
you might have a chance
just take me to the place where the white boys dance"
I admit, other then the chorus, this song could be good. But the played it really low on the chorus, which screwed the whole thing up. Not the WORST song on sawdust, but one of them. -

8. Show You How
This song is great! The beginning is like a girl checking her messeges on her cell phone, and then the lead vocolist, Brandon Flowers leaves her a messege, singing, then all of a sudden the messed up phone style music, changes to reality. nd he says "She told me sweet thing...." and goes on talking about the girl he left the messege too. I think this song is very unique and personally I Love it. Although, it's a bit short. 2:28

9. Move Away
This song was featured on spider Man 3. THe guitar style reminds me of Barracuda By Heart, whenver i hear it. This song reminds me of Sam's Town. It's pretty good, it's on my medium side of good n' bad. I don't ahve much to say about this song, there just isn't much to say.

10. Glamorous Ibdie Rock And Roll
The lyrics suck, I'll tell you that. But the song, like the last one, move away, is on my medium side. It's pretty boring with the chorus holding long notes, and then waiting like the same amount of time as the note, with all quiet, and then it's starts again. This song is good, but not on the GREAT side. It gets pretty good when the enter the third verse though.

11.Who Let You Go?
This song is very repetetive. the chorus is just Who Let You go? a million times, so this is on my medium side again. I just wanted to let you know, Where the white boys dance is lower then medium. This song is strangely familiar, it makes you think you've heard it before, when you really haven't. I think a LOT of songs sound like this.

12. The Ballad of Michael Valentine
THis is one of my favorites on the album. I'm suprised it's not popular, because I love it. THere is a little intro that is very kewwlystrange. Then when it changes to the verse, it gets even better. It's about traveling, but he s telling a story of Michael Valentine, as he mentions is the beginning. This song is real edgy. In the chorus he states I've got The BUZZ, like Marlon Brando. When he says Buzz, it almost sounds like he is high or something, because it's a little strange and whackey. lol. It's true it's very different, maybe he wants it to be his new style of singing or something

13. Ruby, Don't Take Yourr Love To Town
This song, i'm sad to say, is in my opinion the worst killer song of all. It is farm/western/hillbilly style, which frustrates me. They redid this song, so it's boring. The song is dull and boring and if you hate the killers,you would probably be laughing over this song. It's not HORRIBLE, but i think it is yet the worst ever song by the killers, and it is a dissapointment.

14.Daddy's Eyes
This song is very rockish. Lots of guitar, and again it sounds familiar. This song for me is in between medium and good. It was written for his newborn son, Ammon Richard Flowers, born July 14, 2007. He also talks about his wife in the song. This song is a classic, it's pretty good to listen to.

15. Sam's Town (Abbey Road Version)
This song is from the album Sam's Town, if you've heard it. If you thought that song was too loud, or crazy for you, you will loooove this version.It's all in piano, which makes it much more peaceful. I perfer the regular version of sam's town, but i still love this song!

16. Romeo & Juliet
If you liked the last song, you will probably like this song as well. It's quiet but, beautiful. I love this song, one of the best on sawdust, to me. The old version by the Dire Straits is wonderful too.

17. Mr. Brightside (Remix)
This is perferably annoying to me, because the intro is 2 minutes long, and everything is so slow, but at the end, there is a song called "The Captain" hidden, which is great!

This album is amazing! My favorite by the killers, ?I? wonder why no-one will give this album a chance!?!?!?! YOU SHOULD!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Killers bounce back, November 22, 2007
D-Rock (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sawdust (Audio CD)
The Killers are one of my favorite bands, I'll put that right out there. They sometimes write songs I don't like and they aren't revolutionary. You can lump them in a crowd of others or you can say they steal from Duran Duran, but I don't care...and I usually do. The Killers' first album "Hot Fuss" embodied the exact sound that I love in modern music. Some call in "synth rock", "synth pop", or "New Wave". Whatever you call it, I like it. There are many new wave bands, but The Killers are the most popular. For some unexplained reason, America latched onto The Killers and music snobs then turned on them. I liked them all the while. And I liked them early, which makes them one of my discoveries, which makes me like them more. However, The Killers are a flawed group in so many ways. Their first cd was a masterpiece. "Somebody Told Me" is still one of the best songs I've ever heard, with the masterful lyric "somebody told me that you had a boyfriend who looked like a girlfriend that I had in January". No one has ever heard that song without being amused. "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine", "Mr. Brightside", "On Top", and "Smile Like You Mean It" were also outstanding. Truly "Hot Fuss" was one of the top albums of the decade, and I don't take statements like that lightly. But as they rose quickly, they also seemed to make the classic mistep of taking themselves far too seriously. They set out to make an epic album, and touted it as such. They all grew mustaches and abandoned their synths to make an old Western themed concept album. They bantered back and forth with Green Day and Panic! At the Disco and became pop superstars. What came forth was a horrible sophomore slump in "Sam's Town". Now taken song by song it was not awful by any stretch...it was more disappointing. Where was the "new wave"? Where were the synths? Where were the ridiculous lyrics? The carefree yelp? It was all gone, replaced by an album that wanted to be more Bruce Springsteen than Duran Duran. "When You Were Young" and "Read My Mind" highlighted a batch of decent songs, but the magic was gone. I read a recent article where Brandon Flowers, lead singer, indicated the next full length release will go back to their original sound, which they must know is better. Funny after how epic he indicated "Sam's Town" would be.

Now last week The Killers released "Sawdust", a collection of b-sides and remixes to tie fans over till the next album. And tie over it did. I listened to this album in shock, as The Killers "leftover" tracks continued to pump out one awesome song after another. Most are assorted covers, remixes, or bonus tracks from cds, but they come together nicely. But I'll be darned if these assorted bonus tracks isn't better than the entire "Sam's Town" cd.

"Tranquilize" actually might have fit well on "Sam's Town", but it would've easily been one of the best tracks on the album. Gotta love songs that use children's choruses to yell "run away, and give me your sneakers", right? "Shadowplay" then adequately covers a Joy Division song, which tells me something right there...I'm pleased to see them covering Joy Division rather than running off and covering Bob Seger. "All the Pretty Faces" returns to that carefree yelp of "Hot Fuss". "Leave the Bourbon on the Shelf" stands very well here as well. The highlight of the whole album is "Sweet Talk", a synth track which not only would have fit well on "Hot Fuss", but would've been a highlight. It was after this song I realized I wasn't listening to the average b-side cd and that I was listening to a more enjoyable experience than "Sam's Town". Some tracks I've heard before, "Under the Gun", "Who Let You Go", "Ballad of Michael Valentine", and "Glamorous Indie Rock and Roll" are all good songs placed here, though The Killers are kidding themselves if they throw around the word indie. "Show You How" is also an album centerpiece, as is "Move Away", a great track featured on the Spiderman 3 soundtrack. "Romeo and Juliet" gets a nod for being a little different, although it apparently was written by Dire Straits, while "Sam's Town (Abbey Road Remix)" might be the better version of the song. The album concludes in interesting fashion, containing a remix of Mr. Brightside, the 9 and a half minute Jacques Lucont's Thin White Duke Remix. The song is trance-like and amazing. Mr. Brightside might be my favorite overplayed pop song of the last couple years--a song that endless radio play couldn't even kill (or, as I like to say, they "Boulevard of Broken Dreamsed it", or maybe even "Hey There Delilahed it"...a shame how the radio can kill good songs). But the remix to Mr. Brightside is wonderful. Not better or worse. Totally different. Totally great.

So there you have it. The Killers live. For as disappointed as I was by "Sam's Town", I'm just as surprised by "Sawdust". The Killers clearly know how to make good music, and I doubt this is the last of it. If these are the extras, then I look forward to the main course. Just shave those stupid mustaches, can the concept album, and make more ridiculous songs with synthesizers about boys who look like girls that boys' girls used to date, cause that's awesome.

Download: "Sweet Talk", "Tranquilize", "Mr. Brightside", "Move Away"

Sawdust
Sawdust by The Killers (Audio CD - 2007)