Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sawyer Products SP520 Premium Controlled Release Insect Repellent Lotion, 4-Ounce
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on June 10, 2011
We have used this for several years after testing many products. My wife has horrible reactions to simple mosquito bites; swelling and itchy welts. She has the same reaction as I would have to a bee sting or something worse. She also, of course, hates how deet repellents smell, this one was the least offensive smelling. Since DEET is the only thing that actually works, this was the best solution. It is time released, so it lasts for a very long time. The time release properties also are supposed to reduce the amount that your body absorbs. Although I can't tell you with any scientific certainty that my family and I have absorbed less DEET, I can attest to this product lasting longer than others we have used and it would follow that since we don't need to re-apply as often, we are exposing ourselves to less DEET. We tried the Marathon product from 3M as well, it seems to work pretty well too, but is much stinkier. So, my wife will actually use this compared to the Marathon which she can't stand the smell of.
on October 1, 2011
Living in East Africa, we use bug repellant almost on a daily basis. This is the best repellant we have found and many of our friends agree. It is not sticky or smelly. AND it works.
on October 29, 2005
I used this product for myself and my 2 years old daughter when we were visiting India. I must say that it worked like magic. Kept all those bugs away from bugging us!! One night, I forgot to apply on my daughter and next day, she had 20 mosquito bites to be precise!
on July 4, 2010
In our backyard we have quite a bit of bamboo, and mosquitos nest and breed in it. Consequently, we have LOTS of mosquitos, and it is a potential problem because we have a great patio and spend lots of time there. I say potential problem because of the effectiveness of ouir Sawyers Family Mosquito Repellent products in keeping mosquitos away from us. I have also used it hunting and fishing and it is just as effective on gnats, flies and other flying insects.
Lone Star DR
on September 3, 2011
I've used a variety of products containing DEET over the years and this product has many positive characteristics:

1. It's DEET concentration is relatively low (20%). While I'm not overly concerned about putting DEET on my skin, I'd prefer to use as little as necessary to repel the bugs.
2. It is effective - biting insects including black flies are deterred (see field use comments below).
3. The time release formula seems to prolong the effectiveness and the product needs to be applied less frequently than other products with similar DEET percentages.
4. It is not as "greasy" feeling as most DEET products. The product is a creamy lotion that largely (though not completely) feels "dry" after applying.

As product is a lotion, rather than a spray, probably would not be as suitable for application to clothing (e.g. socks) to repel flies, mosquitoes or ticks.

I used this product on trips in Quetico Provincial Park in Ontario in June and July, 2011. Even in extremely "buggy" portages while sweating heavily I managed to avoid inset bites. Bug conditions were sufficiently bad that others were wearing netting.
on August 2, 2011
This stuff works like magic. My two children have been at summer camp in the woods and near ponds and swamps, early morning and dusk for the last week and half, and neither one has one single bug bite on them. Not one bite. I put just a dab on and easily spread it around. Really great product.
on August 5, 2011
Thousands of deer flies in my favorite canyon during the hot summer months and on my first journey down in the canyon using Sawyer's insect repellent the deer flies were all around me and i never received a single bite!

And if it worked for deer flies i believe it will work for any biting insect.

Thank you Sawyer!
on January 11, 2007
Not greasy, no odor. It was recommended for my baby by a pediatrician who said the slow-release formula DEET does not penetrate the skin as much as other formulas so it's safer. Kept all the bugs away in SE Asia, which is a very buggy place.
on October 3, 2011
This is the best repellent I have used. It is totally odorless and it is not greasy and sticky like most other relellents. It seems to be fairly effective but I did not give 5 stars because I got a few mosquito bites. I am not sure whether I got the bites because I did not apply to all exposed parts or I waited too long to reapply. May update review after trying it out more.
on January 24, 2014
I ordered this twice from Amazon. The first time I received the product and it was not as pictured. It appears to be the same product but in a bottle with a different label. I opened it and immediately noticed the bottle was almost half empty. I called Amazon and they sent me another one. It's worth noting that despite being Prime, it took over 4 days to ship both times. When the 2nd one arrived it was the same as the first. I wasn't sure if Sawyer is selling their product this way or if the product is being tampered with so I decided to order the product from REI - same price - shipped to the store. The one from REI came in an official box, was the product pictured as you see on this product image and was much fuller. I do admit, even from REI it was not 100% full but less than 1/4 was empty.

I realize this is supposed to be a product review but I am rating this product as sold by Amazon. I would not buy it here. As far as the product itself goes, I have used it before and found it to be effective, less oily than others and with a much lighter scent. It is much better than other bug creams I have tried.