5.0 out of 5 stars Tick repellent!
This product has been a blessing as I work in woods infested with ticks because of a huge deer population. Just spray your clothing as instructed and you won't find ticks on your person anymore. This is the only product that has worked for me 100%!
Published on August 28, 2008 by Jan W. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't stop tsetse flies, may need to use more.
Overall good product. I think you may need to soak your clothing in this stuff in order to get the full effect.
Published on February 11, 2010 by D. Ng

5.0 out of 5 stars Tick repellent!, August 28, 2008
Jan W. Smith (Millry, Al. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Trigger Spray (Lawn & Patio)

5.0 out of 5 stars Went to Haiti - no bugs on me!, June 5, 2008
I pretreated all the clothing I took with me to Haiti with this spray and had no problems with bugs the whole time. I would highly recommend this product to anyone going to areas where malaria would be an issue as well as highly bug inhabited places in the US. I wouldn't use this everyday, but for special occasions - it's a must have. Just make sure you wear gloves when applying and apply exactly as instructed.

5.0 out of 5 stars This stuff is GREAT, December 15, 2011
2011 Pennsylvania deer season was unseasonably warm. The first week and a half had high's in the mid 50's. The ticks were extremely active. I treated all my hunting clothes with the Sawyer Premium repellent. My brother who hunted the same property, did not treat his clothes. In the first 3 days my brother picked over 100 ticks off his clothes. Myself on the other hand, did not find a single tick on any of my clothes the entire season. The ticks simply would not attach themselves to my clothes.

One day at lunchtime we were both back at our vehicles and he was picking ticks off his pants. I scraped one off his pantleg and while sitting down, placed it on my thigh to see what would happen. The tick crawled around in a circle for about 20 seconds then promptly flipped on it's back and died.

He was so impressed with the product, he purchased a bottle that evening, treated his clothes, and for the remainder of the season, he found no more ticks on his clothes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Save money by applying insect repellent yourself, August 12, 2010
Buying a shirt or pair of slacks that has the bug repellent added will also add $20 per item to it price. Instead get a bottle of permethrin and dilute it and apply it with a small garden sprayer to saturate the clothes you want to take and then let them air dry. The higher the concentration the more washings before the permethrin is completely removed from your clothes. The Sawyer kit with the solution pre-diluted and the trigger spray is an easy way to go though the solution will only be good for 6 washings at most. This is more than adequate for use when traveling but not for clothing you will be wearing a good deal over a period of many weeks.

I used $10 worth of permethrin to treat all my clothing and my wife's for trips to Asia and Central America. With this approach you can pick the clothing you want to wear and treat it instead of being limited to what is sold by the travel sites. It also means you can treat socks and scarves as well as tops and pants. DEET is tough on clothing so it is better to use the permethrin solution on your clothing and only apply the DEET to your face, neck, hands, and feet.

My wife and I spent 2 weeks in Cambodia in the temple areas where the mosquitoes were thick in the air and during that entire time neither of us had a single mosquito bite. The permethrin also is effective for ticks, midges, chiggers, ants, and flys.

With the resistant malaria strains and Lyme disease and encephalitis concerns it is best to be proactive and permethrin sprayed onto clothing is an excellent first step.

5.0 out of 5 stars the real deal! Well researched and plenty of safety information, June 15, 2010
My impression is of a first class company and product. We are visiting Costa Rica with two little ones and had questions about whether this product could be safely used for children's clothing. I called the Sawyer company and was astounded that they took the time to not only speak with me, but to pass my question along to their top technical person who returned my call personally. He shared with me a wealth of information and could answer every question I posed (and many that I did not know to ask). The bottom line for using with children is a)as with all things, ask your pediatrician first and b) they told me they recommend using the aerosoul spray that is available as opposed to the pump if you do use on children's clothing as it will stay on outside surface of the clothing better where the pump spray will tend to soak through the material some. Plenty of other reviews go into general information and I won't repeat here. I was impressed with the wealth of research and extensive safety information that they have on the products they produce. What a great company, the likes of which you seldom see these days! I'll buy from them every time. Btw, they mentioned they also have a time released 20% deet repellent which reduces the amount of deet absorbed twenty fold; good to know if you're in a situation where you decide to use deet on children or in my opinion for anyone that uses deet sprays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great but be careful when applying, August 12, 2009
This stuff works great against mosquitoes and ticks and is safe when dry but extreme care needs to be used when spraying it on your clothes. You want to make sure you don't get any on your skin, that you don't breathe in any of the spray particles. It is also extremely toxic to cats so if you have a kitty you want to be extremely careful that you apply it in a place where kitty can't get near it. Once it dries it is a lot less dangerous to mammals but is still very toxic to insects.

4.0 out of 5 stars I didn't get any ticks on recent camping trip ..., May 9, 2011
... but no one else did either so I'm not going to speak to it's effectiveness as a repellent.

Once dry the Sawyer spray is truly odorless on your clothing.

So you can better judge how much to buy, the 24 oz bottle treated 1 jeans, two sweatpants, 2 long sleeve t-shirts, 3 short sleeve t-shirts, 3 socks, 2 shoes, and 1 backpack and had a little left over in the bottle. It was easier to treat clothing when hanging on a fence (or other vertical surface) because the pump bottle works better when upright. Definitely wear gloves when treating clothes because there is no way to stop the tip from dripping a bit and the spray radius was almost 12 inches when the bottle was 8 inches from the clothes. The aerosol spray is quite fine too so don't use when windy ... it will all blow away in the wind before it reaches your clothes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't stop tsetse flies, may need to use more., February 11, 2010
During my trip to Tanzania in the Tarangire National Park, my friends and I were still attacked by hoards of Tsetse flies which if you look up online have the potential to carry the fatal African Sleeping virus. While I had few bites than others, I had one incident where a tsetse fly did bite me through my shirt treated with this Permethrin product. To be fair, I did spray my clothes thoroughly but I didn't soak it as much as the instructions required me to. I still recommend this product, just make sure you spray enough of it on your clothes. Also purchase "Ultrathon" for your skin. It was highly effective. The flies and other biting insects though still found areas where application of the cream was missed. Dang they are good. Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blessedly odour-free and seems effective., April 24, 2011
Background: I got devoured by mosquitoes on a trip to Mexico in 2009, and the assault on my system was enough to land me in hospital 3 times in a single week. (During the first two visits to different hospitals, my condition was misdiagnosed and I was given the wrong treatments; the third hospital figured out that I had developed an allergy to the mosquitoes). It seems that because I was bitten so many times (over 50 bites), my body went into some sort of shock and ultra-defence mode. As a result, I now have a very heightened sensitivity to all bug bites.

With this in mind, I intended to use as many precautions as possible for my recent trip to Hawaii. Here's how I protected myself (I'll discuss Sawyer's Spray in a moment):

Step 1:
Started taking Vitamin B Complex two weeks before departure. I chose one that had huge %RDA of each type of Vitamin B (I think B12 is the most vital), and always took it in the morning because it can cause really awful nightmares if you take it close to bedtime.

Step 2:
I sprayed all my holiday clothes with Sawyer's Permethrin Spray.

Step 3:
Covered all exposed areas with Ben's 30% Deet wipes every day. http://www.amazon.com/Tender-Bens-12-count-Travel-Wipes/dp/B001GAOIME/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1303674359&sr=8-5

Step 4:
Always had my "Zap It!" clicker tied to my handbag. I can't find these listed on Amazon US, but they shouldn't set you back more than $8 apiece, and they each have about 10,000 clicks. This was one of my great investments! I definitely recommend getting one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zap-It-Mosquito-Bite-Relief/dp/B0012GMT0A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303674948&sr=8-2

Step 5:
I kept some antihistamine tablets handy just in case I felt overwhelmed by itching, but luckily I didn't have to take any.

Step 6:
I also kept some anti-itch creams at the ready, but the "Zap it!" made them largely unnecessary.

...So, now that you know my 6-phase plan of assault, back to Sawyer's Spray.

It's hard to rate this spray on performance because it's impossible to know if the local mosquitos would have bitten through clothing or not. My travel companion got about 4 or 5 times more bites than I did throughout the trip, but all our bites were mostly on exposed areas. I don't think I got a single bite through clothing, though, so perhaps that's a sign of the spray doing its thing!

It was easy to use, although my hand was a little tired from the spray action after doing my entire suitcase worth of clothes! I used the entire bottle. Roughly speaking, I had 2 pairs of shin-length pants, 1 pair of shorts, 1 pair of jeans, about 4 spaghetti-strap tops, and about 4 tops/cardigans. I didn't bring too many clothes, but I sprayed them quite a lot - I could probably have made the bottle go a bit further if I was packing more things.

What was AMAZING to me was the fact that this noxious-smelling spray dried absolutely, 100% *odourless*. This was a huge concern for me because I'm asthmatic and I'm easily affected by strong smells, so I was thrilled about it. Actually, if anything, my clothes smelled fresher than they did before, as though they had been hanging outside on a spring day!

Overall, as I said, it's hard to quantify how effective the spray is because there are too many factors to consider. But I would absolutely use it again, in conjunction with all my other precautions, because I walked away from this mosquito-infested trip with only a handful of bites and lived to tell the tale.

I'm giving it 5 stars for value, lack of odour, and the fact that as far as I know, it worked! I'd recommend Sawyer's.

Happy Travels!

4.0 out of 5 stars works perfect, just not right for me..., June 2, 2012
i am a rancher/ country boy and am in the woods almost every day. Sawyer Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Trigger Spray, 24-Ounce does exactly what it claims, as another review i noticed states the sprayer is a bit leaky. this is true, but not why i gave it only 4 stars. the missing star is because it wasn't right product for me personally. if you are going on an annual camping trip, or only spend a limited amount of time in the woods, this is what you want, wont find anything better. there is enough in the 24-oz. bottle to do 2 full sets of clothing (socks, jeans, short sleeve t-shirt, long sleeve over shirt and 1 hat for both outfits). i am in the woods at the VERY LEAST 5 days a week usually 6. and the price to quantity ratio was too far out of whack for me to afford. so, i purchased concentrated permethrin and diluted it myself36.8% Permethrin SFR Multi Use Pest Insecticide / Termiticide ~ Roach Fleas Ticks Dog Kennels etc.. 32 oz was only double the cost and enough to make 96 gal. of the .5% solution desired (should be enough to last me until i am 98 yrs old, about a gal. and a half a year). 1 and 2/3 oz. per gal of water and i have basically the exact same product. just have to remember to be careful mixing and applying to clothes and then wash thoroughly when done... i sure hope there are no long-term health risks from constant use, if i find any ill be sure to update. ;)

Rate and Discover Movies