Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now Tikes

on September 16, 2012
After the disappointment of my last crime read it was heartening to seek sanctuary in the criminal bosom of Michael Robotham. Robotham is a firm favourite of mine and once again provides a fine lesson in the craft of crime fiction with an utterly absorbing read. Drawing closely on real-life incidences of child abduction Robotham weaves a compelling tale focusing on the case of two missing teenage girls and the changing public perceptions of the both the case and the two as individuals under the glare of media scrutiny and the heightened sense of purpose the police investigation gains when one of the girls turns up dead. Once again clinical psychologist Joe O'Loughlin is called to assist in this troubling case and with the help of retired policeman Vincent Ruiz, seeks to determine the whereabouts of the remaining missing girl. The plot is taut and throws up many a quandary for our loveable duo as the investigation unfolds in different directions but what this book highlights more than most is Robotham's consistently great characterisation.

This was particularly noticeable in Robotham's portrayal of Piper Hadley a sporty and slightly ungainly teenager but who during her enforced incarceration is revealed as a very perceptive and thoughtful girl grappling mentally and physically with the challenges of the danger she finds herself in. The sections of the book where she narrates her day-to-day suffering at the hands of her abductor are truly moving and incredibly well-realised. I liked the way that her experiences are offset by the traumas caused by Joe's own teenage daughter Charlie as she navigates her way through these difficult years, at times to the chagrin of her father, as she herself has been held captive in a previous criminal investigation involving Joe. Hence Joe draws on the feelings he had when his own daughter was abducted to aid his own mission to try and ensure the safe return of Piper to her family. On the theme of characterisation we are once again witness to the good-natured ribbing and heartfelt friendship and respect between Joe and Vincent. I adore Vincent despite his propensity for being an eminently unsuitable husband but totally counterbalanced by his mix of intuitive and ballsy approach to police work retired or not. Joe also finds himself involved in a little extra-curricular romantic action which added another facet to plot as well highlighting his slightly rusty skills with the fairer sex!

All in all this is a great read with a perfectly balanced plot, skilled characterisation and dialogue and just a twist or two along the way to add to the tense and thrilling denouement.
on August 29, 2012
Firstly WOW!

This was my first Michael Robotham book i've read and I must say, he is now my favourite author. This story is nothing less than fantastic. He had me hooked from the first paragrah, and I was unable to put this book down. Lets just say I had the novel finished the same day I purchased it.

I have seen a lot of people comment that it is too expensive and that's what I thought at first too, but I'm happy I spent the money on it because it was worth every cent!

The characters were not only realistic but I found myself swept up in their problems and I was concerned for them and genuinely interested in their lives.

I must say, as soon as I finished this story, I went in search of this author's other novels. Will definately be reading more from him, but I'm glad I started with this story. This novel is great for anyone who likes to be kept on their toes.

GREAT WORK MICHAEL ROBOTHAM!!! (My new favourite Author!!!)
on October 11, 2012
I've long been a Michael Robotham fan and eagerly await each new book. Say You're Sorry is absolutely his best yet. I've always enjoyed the character development in Robotham's novels and this doesn't disappoint, giving us more than a peek into the soul of Joe O'Loughlin, the teenager Piper and her friend Tash, and even that of the grieving parents. The story begins with two apparently separate crimes--a dead woman found frozen in a pond/river and the murder of a couple in a remote farmhouse. How does a cold case disappearance link to a current murder? Little by little the pieces are fitted together to link the crimes, all while the protagonist deals with personal issues ( marital estrangement, a rebellious teenage daughter, his worsening Parkinson's disease). I would have liked to have more involvement of O'Loughlin's sidekick Victor Ruiz and a bit of an epilogue about Emily and her controlling father, but these are minor quibbles. I love intelligent mysteries that keep me guessing to the end and this fit the bill. Although I had narrowed my suspicions down to two (and turned out to be right) it was the journey, the getting to that conclusion that held me spellbound. If you are a fan of the intellectual mystery ala Elizabeth George or the Laura Lippman stand alones, you will enjoy the entire O'Loughlin series, but possibly this one most of all
on September 21, 2012
Say You're Sorry begins well, swells well in the middle and then becomes a tad too predictable. And the increasingly creaky lead character becomes more and more capable of incredible heroics the worse he gets. Robotham peaked with Shatter and has not managed to top that as a tale, despite maintaining the relationship with the characters. The hero is smart as we know - but this time around seemed a bit too big for his boots. No one is that smart. Any police force worth their salt would have punted him from these investigations. He doesn't appear to warrant a part in them at all. He used to be believable and vulnerable. I felt here he was almost super human. A nice read, don't get me wrong, but not as strong as previous outings.
on October 8, 2012
"Say you're sorry" is a gripping story in more ways than one. It's a very exciting thriller that keeps you on edge right until the end. Robotham's style has definitely evolved and you can see he has honed his already considerable skills to a point where he leaves you with a utterly absorbing and believable story.
On another level "Say you're sorry" is a story about children's hopes and dreams confronted with (mis)trust, prejudice and selfishness. Robotham does a very clever job at making the (abducted) girls' minds as genuine as the adults'. I couldn't help wondering if his experience with growing up children gave him some insights.
Being the next in the series featuring Joe O'Loughlin, it's good to see him back on track, rubbing shoulders with Vincent Ruiz once again and wondering where his family life is heading. Don't worry, you'll know more when you've finished the book.
So, a must-read for those already familiar with the series, but if you are not, you're still in for a hell of a ride.

Finally, I would like to make a remark about some of the "reviews" that are posted here. Apparently some people are dissatisfied with the Kindle concept and the price of the e-books. Fine, send a mail to Amazon. But what the point is of giving a single book a 1 star "review" if you haven't even read it, just to gripe about Kindle, is really beyond me. It lowers the average rating in a big way, for no reason whatsoever. A bit of moderating would do wonders.
on September 14, 2012
I enjoyed this book, which is not always an easy thing I find. So many books are very poorly written, have poorly designed plots and don't live up to their publicity This was well written, never dull and interesting plot, kept me riveted. Perhaps the only thing I would say is that Joe is so dead on with his observations early on and overlooks the killer for the most part, only realising at the end. Thanks to the author for a really good read.
on November 5, 2012
Say You're Sorry is another great book from Michael Robotham. I don't know if there is anyone writing today who writes characters better. What makes them so special is that they face their own particular situations, no matter how horrifying, not with despair but with resignation. Almost as if they deserve it. It is not the physical scars that these characters bear, but the emotional ones that will wrench your heart.

Alternating narration from O'Loughlin in the present and a victim in the form of a diary tethers the past to the present and keeps alive both a sense of hope and a sense of dread. Robotham doesn't let you remain detached. You feel for these characters and you become emotionally invested.

Joe O'Loughlin is a unique hero. His physical ailments prevent him from being a conventional action hero, but his powerful mind is wonderful to observe. He peels back layers and secrets with extraordinary observations and probes areas that most people would rather stay hidden. His intense sympathy for the victims or the wrongly accused give him a determination to succeed that often comes at great personal expense. He is an outstanding character.

A close reading isn't necessary to thoroughly enjoy this book, but it is rewarded. Nearly everything is significant in one way or another. Saying that a book grabs you from the first page and doesn't let go has become cliche, but Micahel Robotham has a way of making you identify so strongly with his characters that you can't help but care about them.

Out of some 40 plus books I've read this year, I have rated three of them as 5 stars. Michael Robotham has written 2 of them. He's moved to the top of my must read list. Highly recommended. I was fortunate to receive an early review copy of this book.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
For years I have been saying that Michael Robotham is the next big thing. Now he's the new big thing. Say You're Sorry meets all expectations; it is the equal of all of his previous novels.

Say You're Sorry concerns the disappearance of two young girls in and around Oxfordshire. They appear to have been running away from home, but somehow they never got wherever it is that they were going and they've now been missing for three years.

The fascinating plot twist is that, from the very beginning of the book, one of the girls speaks to us (in italicized chapters), tells us that she is still alive and begins to reveal details about her abduction and confinement. Meanwhile, Joe O'Loughlin is helping the local police to find the person who did this and he is helped, eventually, by Victor Ruiz. Quick-cutting between the two points of view--Piper's and Joe's--with frequent cliffhanger endings in each chapter, is a tried and true narrative method and Robotham milks it very, very well.

The local environs are well-described and they will be familiar to all who have ridden the train from Paddington to Oxford. When was the last time that Didcot got this much attention in a novel?

Joe's relationship with his (sort-of) estranged wife makes for a nice subplot and there is an unexpected twist at the novel's end--not a triple-reverse Deaver twist, but a twist that is both plausible and unexpected.

Looney abductor with a smiling face meets spunky abductee while he's being tracked by Joe O'Loughlin: the perfect ingredients. Prediction: this will counter the biggest dose of Melatonin and keep you up into the small hours.
on December 30, 2012
Book is gripping and acceptably written, but it really revels in nasty details of abuse. Why would you want to spend time living through this? It's like looking closely at the aftermath of a car wreck. If all that cruelty aimed at women wasn't enough reason to skip the book, the final solution is unconvincing and leaves many unanswered questions. There are far better mysteries out there to spend your time reading.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2013
Why is an e-book $25?
This is an excellent book!, and given my genre is history/historical fiction, that is extremely high praise! Another reviewer criticized this book by comparing it to the enormously popular T.V. show Criminal Minds! Personally CM is one of the very select shows that I turn from Science or History Channel as well as put my book down to watch. Her criticism brought me to this book., and I concur the story is all the things that make CM great with so much more of it's own wonderfully written additions!
If your genre is mystery/suspense than I'm preaching to the choir;) If, like myself, your interest lends itself primarily to another genre---> this story is a prime choice for a quick fulfilling jaunt off the beaten path. Well written with something for everyone!

Why 3*s? The story easily deserves at least 4- (I have given 5 to only 3books of the 250 on my Kindle). I recieved my copy free and began recommending it when I was shocked to find out the price! This is an e-book! It is not a hard cover first edition etc. $24.95 is ridiclous for ANY e-book! It is obsene and bordering on prejudicial!~'Oh, you're on a budget? I don't want your kind reading my book.' I gave away all my beloved Calvin Klien's when Sir Klien stated, "They are tightly sized and are not made above size 12 because I do not want FAT women wearing them." (I donated all my size 6's on principle) So, is this author, publisher etc. making the same type of judgement by pricing it out of many readers reach?? If so, shame on you. If not, than it's at minimum poor business.
Today April 14th it is a Kindle Daily Deal at $2.95. It's an excellent story, well worth $3. BUY IT TODAY;)