Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 27, 2012 6:50:28 PM PDT
So, Maddy's going through that adolescent phase where everything the parental unit does is wrong, and she tells Harry he can't say "I am done" when he means "I am finished".

Father-daughter issues aside, where does this idea come from? Darned if I can think of any rule, however nitpicky, that imposes this kind of restriction.

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 9:38:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2013 9:39:53 AM PDT
The doctor says:
The concept comes from the idea that, "cakes are done but people are finished." It stems from the 1917 Manual of Good English I believe

If you look up the definition of done it can mean finished so many people think that it should be interchangeable.

I think the reason some object to saying, "I'm done" might be that it sounds less polished than saying "I am finished" and sounds slightly like slang perhaps. I've not seen this written anywhere but is just my thinking

Of course there are many errors regarding English usage and the use of "and" and "but" being two of them...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Apr 27, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Reversal (A Lincoln Lawyer Novel)
The Reversal (A Lincoln Lawyer Novel) by Michael Connelly (Hardcover - October 5, 2010)
4.1 out of 5 stars (1,047)