5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and versatile
Published on March 16, 2010 by M. M.

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost but not quite
Overall, this hat is very versatile. It is a nice style, and the brim can be worn up or down (which I prefer). It has an inside cord for adjusting, and it is generously sized.

Published on June 4, 2011 by Susan Katz

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and versatile, March 16, 2010
I bought this hat in the natural color to wear to a multi-day outdoor music festival (Bonnaroo). I wanted something cuter and more stylish than a fishing/boonie hat but didn't want to risk blocking other people's view of the stage by wearing a huge "J.Lo" glamour hat. So, I decided on this breezy cotton number, and I wasn't disappointed in the least. In addition to the music festival, I've also worn it while hiking, rowing, and traipsing through farmer's markets. It has consistently kept my head cool, my eyes shaded, and my face, neck, and shoulders free of sunburn.

The weave of the fabric makes it look like linen, and according to the tag, it provides SPF 50+. The brim is nice and wide, made out of a somewhat stiff canvas that holds its shape if you bend it. The hat is also fantastic for traveling: you can pack and fold it into a small space, and it will still look great when you pull it out -- just smooth out the wrinkles and off you go!

The best feature of this hat is its versatility:

* Flaunt your classy country-club style while gardening, golfing, or attending a tennis match by turning up the outer edge of the brim, like the photo shows.
* Look effortlessly chic at an outdoor brunch or on a Caribbean cruise by turning down the outer edge of this hat, which makes it look like Audrey Hepburn's famous wide-brimmed chapeau.
* Create an artsy bohemian look by crinkling up a few inches of the brim on one side, a little off-center, while leaving the rest of the brim turned down like the Audrey. (My personal fave.)
* Get that elusive 1990s "Blossom" look -- or, similarly, a Cape Cod rain hat -- by folding the brim so it points up in the front and down in the back.
* Need an Aussie Outback hat? Simply position one side straight up over your ear and angle the other side out horizontally.
* Channel the Chiquita Banana Lady by angling the entire brim upwards from the base. (Note that the hat is not actually strong enough to hold fruit, other than perhaps a few lone grapes.)
* From the Chiquita Banana hat, pull the sides of the brim down over your ears and let it spring back up. I call this look the Fortune Cookie because, well... it looks like you have a giant fortune cookie on your head, especially if you get it in tan/brown.

Just about the only way you can't wear this Houdini of a hat is in a cowboy style (I actually just tried this and it doesn't quite work; the closest you can get is by taking the Fortune Cookie and rotating it 90°). If you were really determined to make it look like a cowboy hat, you could probably do it with safety pins.

The inside of the cap is lined in white cotton and has a hidden drawstring around the inner band so that you can adjust the size. I wear a Large in women's hats and find this hat to be comfortable without making any adjustments -- it has a bit of "breathing room" but is not too loose. If you wear a S/M in women's hats, you might decide to decrease the band size using the drawstring. Note that it does not have a chin strap.

You could wear this hat to the beach, at a theme park, at a botanical garden, on a safari -- basically anywhere you'll be outside and want a versatile, casual hat to protect you from the sun. The one and only situation in which I wouldn't recommend this hat is if your destination will be really windy (in that case, you would probably need a hat with a chin strap). Otherwise, for all other applications, I would recommend this hat without hesitation!

** Update, July 2010 **

I have worn this fantastic hat to several more outdoor events. I did put it in the washing machine to keep the inner band from staining where it touches my forehead, even though the tag says the hat should be wiped off with a cloth to clean. I washed it in cold water and let it air-dry, and it did not shrink. However, I think the brim had some kind of starch coating that must have washed off, because it's noticeably softer and much less stiff now, which I actually prefer. I can still bend the brim according to the shape I want, though, so I maintain my five-star rating!

** Update, November 2012 **

I still have this hat and still love it! Since my initial review, I've worn it to three more music festivals, hiking through the Big South Fork with a mosquito net over it (yes, really, and it worked great), to the beach several times, and, most recently, lounging out by the pool at a resort in Las Vegas. It is so low-maintenance (packs and washes so nicely) and continues to provide casual, effortless versatility in terms of styling. Five stars all the way!

** Update, March 2014 **

Yes, I still have this hat, and it continues to be amazing. I actually just came back last week to finally order a second one but had a hard time deciding which color to buy (they're all so appealing!). My first hat, the one I bought originally in 2010, was in the Natural color, which is a lovely and versatile neutral that goes with everything. But, it has been four years, and I've worn the hat so much (and to really dirty places, like Bonnaroo, multiple times!) that it has started to discolor over part of the brim, and washing doesn't seem to remove the stain. Regardless, the hat is still perfect for hiking, outdoor festivals, and other situations that are full of dirt and sweat; but, it no longer has that "put together" classy vibe as when it was new.

So, clearly, it was time for me to get a second hat! I ordered several colors with the goal of keeping one, or maybe two if they were both spectacular. Since lots of reviewers have mentioned that they wished others would comment on the color of the hat they bought, here's my take on the various colors I tried:

- Coral: Nowhere near as shocking/vivid as the stock photo shows (the stock photo makes it look neon red!). In person, this color is a cross between a true coral (pinky-red) and a dark salmon. A lovely color that would flatter anyone. It has a very "south Florida" feel to it: casual, fun, going shopping on the Key after a game of tennis.

- Mint: Again, nowhere near as shocking/vivid/neon as the stock photo shows. This is a bright, happy, springtime green, right on the verge of being a pastel. It's a true green, not overly yellow and not overly blue. This hat makes me think of an Easter egg hunt!

- Natural: This is the color of the first hat I bought, back in 2010. It's true to the stock photo, although it also looks exactly like the photos for Sand, Taupe, and Oatmeal. Not sure if there's much of a difference in those colors. Regardless, the Natural color is a tried-and-true basic that goes with everything, looks appropriate for nearly any activity, and keeps your head cool with its light color.

- Olive: A classic neutral, just slightly greener than the stock photo shows. It's your standard dark khaki green, for those who want something that will mask dirt/stains a bit better than a lighter-colored neutral. I can see Olive going with almost everything; I almost chose it as my original color back in 2010.

- Red: A true "American Flag" red, very close to the stock photo. This hat is a STUNNER -- wear it with big sunglasses and you will literally look like you just stepped off a flight from Paris. I put on this hat, looked in the mirror, and went, "WOW." I'm not a "red" person, but this hat is so sophisticated and so provocative that I *almost* kept it. Seriously. Thisclose.

- Tea: Not nearly as orange as the stock photo shows; much more brown. This hat makes me think of the clay dirt you see in south Georgia, or even the color of a well-used baseball mitt.

- Turquoise: Exactly as the photo shows. A bright, vivid turquoise blue; not pastel at all. This was my favorite -- it felt the most "me" out of the bunch -- so I ended up keeping it.

- Wine: Very close to the stock photo. But instead of a true "wine" color (which I would expect to be closer to burgundy), this hat is more of a garnet or deep crimson. So hey, you Seminoles, Sooners, Hokies, Gamecocks, Trojans, and Crimson Tide fans, this hat is perfect for you! To me, this hat says "classy tailgating party before the big game."

I hope that helps you decide! Happy shopping, and enjoy this fabulous hat!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this hat!, November 4, 2009
My favorite gardening, beach and hiking hat. I have it in six colors. Flattering to all face shapes, especially if you have the type of face that looks heavy in baseball style caps. Long lasting construction and an excellent way to keep from exposing your facial skin to strong sun. If this style ever gets discontinued I will cry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sun protection with a great style, August 24, 2009
Love the hat. It looks fun on and keeps the sun out. I was worried the red would be a little washed out, but it isn't. It is a nice deep red without being too much. I can style it to wear several different ways. It's a keeper.

The hat isn't washable and it can get a little hot. I am concerned that the white hat band inside will get dirty quickly since it isn't washable. Despite that, I will probably order more in other colors.

5.0 out of 5 stars best sun hat ever, October 6, 2012
I found this hat in black while in San Francisco, and immediately fell in love. It is absolutely the most perfect summer sun hat. So I came here to amazon to get the same hat in brown, and was amazed at the color selection.

--Loosely roll it up and stick in in your purse and it comes out looking just as good as when it went in.

--The drawstring allows you to custom fit the hat to your own head--such a great feature when you live along windy beaches like I do.

--the brim is just the right size around, so it shields you well from the sun but does not look ridiculous. In fact, similar hats with smaller brims end up looking too casual, too 1990's GAP. This one just looks elegant.

--machine washable! I washed mine in cold and hung it dry, and it is literally as good as new.

--as other commenters have pointed out, you can wear the brim in many different ways.

So, the bottom line is that it is really comfortable, looks great dressed up or dressed down, and is so easy to take with and take care of. It is well made and worth every penny.

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost but not quite, June 4, 2011

I wear a women's hat size L, and I frequently have difficulty finding a hat that is not too tight. This is far from it. In fact, I would say anyone who wears as S or M in a hat should probably pass on this one.

That said, I was disappointed in this hat. All the glowing reviews are well-deserved, I am sure, but I found the hat to be too casual, crinkled, and mis-shaped. Looking more closely at this hat, it's obvious that the quality in construction just isn't there, which partly contributes to the problem.

Sadly, it gets returned and the search for my perfect sun hat continues.

WARNING - Amazon is not honoring free returns on this item. Be prepared to contact them for return shipping credit.

5.0 out of 5 stars hat for sun sensitive skin, September 13, 2011
Gave me lots of shade, even kept the sun off the back of my neck. It kept its shape well even when stuffed into a bag, there is a cord in the crown so it's adjustable .. loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Scala Sun Hat, August 28, 2011
I have 2 of these hats already and just wanted another color. My favorite one, I slobbed blue Italian ice all over it and thought I had ruined it. Just dunked it in the ocean and the blue came right out. I wear them every where. In my convertible, gardening, walking to the mail box. No sun spots on my face this summer! PS I've seen this hat on the stars of two of my favorite TV shows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Came quickly and hat is fantastic!, December 6, 2009
Sylvia Sichel "sly1s" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This hat provides serious sun shade without looking ridiculous. it's soft enough to fold up and stick in your bag and a really pleasant color. for the price, i would say this is the best hat of its kind out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars TOO HIGH, April 17, 2012
NICE HAT--BUT TOO HIGH. TJ MAXX HAS THIS SAME SCALA HAT IN VARIOUS COLORS FO $14.99. I BOUGHT THIS HAT ON A GOLD BOX SPECIAL FOR $17.99. IMAGINE MY SURPRISE WHEN I FOUND IT CHEAPER THAN THE GOLD BOX PRICE.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this hat. You will be angry at how wrinkled it arrives because it is carelessly packaged. Wrinkles could be avoided, February 25, 2014
Diane K "Diane K" (Northern California) - See all my reviews
I have worn this particular brand of hat for several years now. HOWEVER, I bought it WRINKLE-FREE from Macy's and another gardening store carried the same hat. Because the company is "cheaping out" with the manner in which they package and ship the hats to you on Amazon, you get the hat in a small box, where the hat has been crunched up and you WILL have a wrinkled mess on your hands. I fought with the steam iron and did my best to get the wrinkles out, but the wrinkles did not all come out. I would not recommend purchasing this hat here. Too bad, because I would have got it in many more colors if it were not packaged in such a way that there is NO WAY you could get this hat and not have it be a wrinkled mess. Save your money and get the hat elsewhere where you can see that it is wrinkle-free BEFORE you purchase it.