4.0 out of 5 stars Scalibor tick collar
Published 21 months ago by Melissa A Price

1.0 out of 5 stars Be very careful, watch your pet closely
Published on April 7, 2012 by Lilypad

4.0 out of 5 stars Scalibor tick collar, October 15, 2012
This review is from: Scalibor Protector Band for Dogs - 6 Month Protection (Misc.)
I have been using this product for about two years. I take the collar out of the box and leave it air out for a few days before I put it on my dogs. My moms dog (australian shepherd) had a reaction to this collar one time but as soon as she took it off the dog was OK. Leaving it out of the box and hanging for a few days seems to prevent a reaction for some reason. I never find fleas or ticks on my dogs and I live in the middle of the woods. My dogs are 50-60 lbs herding dogs. We have ticks year round so this product seems to work very well for our animals. I have 4 dogs and 4 cats and don't have any flea or tick problems. I also use Frontline Plus on my cats. Hope this information is helpful to someone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be very careful, watch your pet closely, April 7, 2012
My dog had horrible side effects just like others have mentioned. He was immediately irritated by the collar and scratched at it. He had it on for 36 hours when I removed it and his neck was red. He was unable to settle down and go to bed. When he tried to go to sleep he was twitching and could not stop moving. Be aware some dogs cannot take this and watch your pet carefully, I cannot imagine how bad it would have gotten if I did not remove the collar after 36 hours. When I called my vet(I purchased mine through my vet) they said a few other dogs had this same side effect. I wish they had told me this when they sold it to me!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible product-dog in 2 days of misery, May 13, 2013
I concur with many of these reviewers as to the horrible side effects associated with this product. I was given the Scalibor collar for free in a combination promotion with Revolution flea/heartworm preventative. I have used Revolution on the dog for the past 2 going on 3 yrs., but this was the 1st time I was introduced to this particular brand of tick collar. I put the collar on the dog on a Sat. (5/11) and by Sunday night my dog was excessively panting, scratching, twitching, and became agitated/restless. The poor dog didn't sleep all night. He has never had problem with other collars in the past, so I was reluctant to think it was the collar which was causing him to schiz out - that is, until I came here and saw over a dozen complaints by people whose dogs were experiencing the same issues.

I immediately called my dog's vet on Monday, who advised that I contact the Revolution manufacturer whom I was told was Pfizer, but lo and behold has since changed to Zoetis. I was floored when I called their customer service department and received a voice mail recording stating that their techs would be out of the office in training for a whole week and that a voice mail option was unavailable! Are you kidding me?! After much persistence, I obtained a rep who noted my concerns over their topical parasiticide being teamed up with a such a terrible and harmful product, but was informed that I would have to notify Merck since they were the actual manufacturer of the Scalibor collar. In addition, she advised that my dog's vet should note the side effects from the Revolution/Scalibor combination to their Zoetis sales representative for futher investigation (yeah, like I'm sure they are going to move right on it.) After that phone call, my next call was to Merck's "adverse event" customer service department. I explained the situation to the rep who apologized for the run around, and noted that she would report the situation to their veternarian and have he/she call me with some options with which to assist me. I never received a response from the vet, however a Merck rep did contact me during the evening, took down my info and offered to contact the vet to compensate me for the collar or offer me an exchange for another brand. All I can say is thank God I read these reviews when I did because as a result, I was able to act quickly and spare my dog further trauma. I ADVISE ANYONE WHOSE DOG EXPERIENCES A HYPER-SENSITIVE REACTION TO THIS COLLAR CONTACT MERCK (866-683-7838), because if enough complaints are reported, it will force the company to revist the efficacy and dangerousness of this product and possibly recall it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware**** Can be very harmful, April 30, 2013
I put this collar on my dog and she had an immediate reaction. Within 4-5 minutes I noticed her scratching and in disress. One look at her made me cry. One eye was swollen shut & the other twice the size. Her muzzle and mouth were bigger than she was. I called the vet and they send to give her two Benadryl but 40 mins later she was not much better. Had to rush her to the vet. A year later a friend who uses it on her dog stopped by and patted her on the head and again an immediate reaction. Someone else I know said her dog was having servere neurologicially issues and did extensive testing to find out it was caused by the Scalibor collar. Believe me, It is not worth the risk!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Scalibor, July 27, 2011
I have two dogs, 90 and 60 lbs and live in tick infested Tn on 10 acres on a lake - these collars have saved both my pets. The only problem I have now is they are both carriers for ticks - they won't attach to the dogs but get a ride on them into the house. I have had NO PROBLEMS with loss of hair, sores or itching

5.0 out of 5 stars Scalibor Tick Collar, March 4, 2012
Scalibor Tick Collar seems to be doing the job after being installed for two months now. Dog (coon hound mix) was picking up a tick or two every time out in the woods, but now she has not had one attach. I have found two ticks on her but both were not attached. Collar has not caused any skin issues as reported by some users.

1.0 out of 5 stars scalibor, March 25, 2012
Our vet recommended this product for easier use for our 9 month old puppy. At first he was fine then after 48 hours he was out of control. Twitching , running in circles, going crazy even biting. After online research on the product we realized we weren't the only ones experiencing this. We immediately removed the collar and gave him a soothing bath. Jw calmed down and the next day I called the vet. She said we werent the only people calling and they were no longer going to sell the product and give us a 6 month supply of our old tick and flea solution for free and also free follow ups regarding his behavior.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jess, July 9, 2011
I got this collar from the vet. My dog cannot have the drops on her back, she is allergic. The first few weeks I thought this is great! I read reviews from people saying their dog got scabs and developed sores from the collar, but I live in a wooded area so I thought I need this. She began itching it a week ago, and today I gave her a haircut only to find she lost the hair in the area where the collar was, and was beginning to blister on her neck. I immediately cut it off and will not get it again. My trainer said not to use it also. Many people get ticks on their dogs whether they use something or not, I would rather not then.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible and dangerous! Beware!!!, March 30, 2012
My two precious havanese had these collars on for just over 24 hours when the horrible side effects started. Uncontrollable twitching, restless, can't sleep, scratching, biting, just plain miserable. I took the collars off, washed all bedding, bathed them, gave them benadryl at vets recommendation, and still no relief. I am terrified and can only hope the reaction subsides with time. I am praying to God for their healing. Please trust me and do not risk using this product!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't even try it, April 4, 2012
I am a veterinary technician, and I will never promote this product. It takes two weeks to work, it causes skin irritation if you come in contact with it, and my kids can't be around my dog if she's wearing it. I'll stick with preventic collars and the old stand-by of checking my dog regularly for ticks.

Rate and Discover Movies