From the Back Cover
Foreword by Jim Gray
Microsoft Research and 1998 ACM Turing Award Recipient
The Complete Guide to Techniques and Models to Evaluate and Plan E-Business Sites!
- Avoid losing customers due to site crashes
- Performance modeling and capacity planning for e-business infrastructure
- Build and analyze customer behavior models
- Plan your e-business site to avoid frequent upgrades and migrations
"E-business is transforming every element of business in many unknown ways. This book will give its readers a headstart in understanding the quantitative underpinnings of the new environment."
Howard Frank, Dean, Robert H. Smith School of Business
University of Maryland at College Park
Solid analysis of performance modeling and capacity planning for your e-business site! S low e-commerce sites cost their owners billions and embarrass and degrade their owners' brands. Don't let it happen to you!
Scaling for E-Business presents analysis techniques for quantifying and projecting every element of your e-business site's performance-and planning for the capacity you need, no matter what! Discover how to...
- Characterize e-commerce workloads more accurately
- Analyze the performance of authentication and payment services
- Model contention for software servers, and ensure scalability
- Model and plan for communications infrastructure
- Forecast and cope with peak demand
- Project the impact of agent technologies and non-PC devices
You can't turn to your vendors for these state-of-the-art techniques. But you can turn to Scaling for E-Business-and if you plan to succeed, you'd better!
About the Author
DANIEL A. MENASCÉ is Professor of Computer Science at George Mason University, and a fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery.
VIRGILIO A. F. ALMEIDA is Professor of Computer Science at the Federal University of Minas Gerais, Brazil, and formerly held visiting positions at Xerox PARC and Boston University.
The authors' interests include performance modeling and capacity planning for large-scale Web and e-commerce environments.