5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Product at an Amazing Price
For a long time I have been wanting a ScanGaugeII. The price was a little high and the only real use I wanted it for was a MPG gauge as my car does not have one. I recently purchased the ScanGaugeE from Amazon. Shipping was fast as I always get from amazon.

Published on May 24, 2011 by Eco-Driver

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellect product with one serious draw back...
Published on October 8, 2011 by Norris B. Heckwine

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Product at an Amazing Price, May 24, 2011
This review is from: ScanGaugeE Compact Multifunction Trip Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges (Automotive)

The gauge was easy to install and easy to mount. Included velcro was very helpful and the gauge mounts easily in front of my tachometer(I can still see it easily though.) The included wire is 6' and is plenty long enough to mount just about anywhere you could ever want.

Setting up this thing was pretty easy with the given instructions. The only things that really have to be set at first is engine size and fuel tank size. With these set the MPG estimate seemed very close to what I would expect it to be. I regularly check my gas mileage when I fill up. There is also a calibration method when filling your tank up to make sure the mpg estimate is accurate if you think it is not. I have not calibrated yet as I have not emptied an entire tank.

The capabilities of this thing are quite amazing. 5 screens can be used in "gauge" operation. 3 are preset and 2 are customizeable, each screen has 2 data displays. Screen
1) instant mpg and average mpg for the current trip Screen
2) Current trip CO2 production and Current Day CO2 Production
3) Current trip fuel cost and current day fuel cost
4) custom and custom
5) custom and custom

Things that can be set for the custom displays include system loop status(closed or open), Current Manifold Pressure, MPG, MPH, RPM, Throttle position sensor, and at least a dozen other choices.

I love the ease of use after using this thing for about an hour. I have found out a lot about my driving style and how to improve it even though I already drove conservatively for higher mpg. I would recommend this to anyone interested in learning how to drive more efficiently, learning what is going on in their car, or who just likes cool tech toys (I mean come on, the display has at least 8 or 12 different colors and 3 different brightness settings, I'm reminded of kip from Knight Rider)

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellect product with one serious draw back..., October 8, 2011
Norris B. Heckwine (Spring, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This product is oriented towards the more common user. It has fewer bells and whistles than the ScanGauge II, but the reality is that 99% of user won't use or even understand all the extra outputs provided in the ScanGauge II. Installing this product could not be easier. Just pick a place (the Velcro mounting looks cheap), run the line and plug the two ends into the appropriate jacks and turn your car on. It is THAT easy. If they made brackets so you could pop rivet into place, it would be icing on the cake. Setup is easy too, if you are one who bothers to read the clear and easy to follow instructions. The mileage graph is interesting when first installed but becomes just a useless waste of display space after you become familiar with the unit. The gauge info selection is more than most people will ever use. Installation and usage is excellent.

Now for the bad. What is missing is the customization of the AVG (MPG) on the main display. People will use ScanGauge to improve driving habits and improve MPG. The AVG resets itself after every trip. The AVG should be user selectable, with a running AVG based on TRIP, DAY, WEEK, MONTH or ENDLESS so that long term MPG progress can be measured on the main screen. As this product is marketed as an item to improve economical driving habits, this is a glaring omission of a basic functionality that seriously limits an otherwise outstanding product. And it is for this reason alone, I did not give this product 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing experience for some, May 31, 2011
I have to admit - I'm an aggressive driver. The speed limit is 70 in our area on interstate and I use sophisticated (expensive) radar detectors and other devices to avoid highway patrol. I never speed on small roads (below 45 MPH), but can go up to 90 on interstate from time to time. Avoiding the cops is an art (knowing where they are, using "run rabbits", locating their cars behind etc) and I never had a speeding ticket. My driving behavior may change now. I have ScanGaugeE for a week (the original ScanGauge II Ultra is just too expensive for what I need it) and have to say - it has already changed my habits. The same 20 miles it takes me to get to work - I took one trip with the device covered and found that my average MPG was 23. Then, I tried to keep it slowly, checking with the unit all the time, was trying to maintain the speed limit +5, and my MPG was 28. This weekend I've noticed that I don't care to be a fast one; I'm looking on my ScanGauge and trying to use the accelerator as gentle as I just can.
The installation took 5 min, just locate your OBDII port and plug it in. The warranty is not 1 year as Amazon says; it is actually full 3 years. The device goes off when there is no RPM it can see (saving car battery) and goes back into the same screen when you start the car.

Some interesting notes I have: my MPG is only 10 when I drive close to home. Slower roads (30 MPH speed limit) and red lights and the worst for MPG. Cruise control is not really so fuel efficient as people say - it can push the car 75 MPH uphill using a lot of gas when you can do it very gently yourself. On a flat road 45 MPH is the best speed for my vehicle (Honda CR-V) - I see the average MPG going up to 35, when it is only 10-12 when the speed is only 20 MPH.

Love this device. Would like to see a couple of extra connectors on sides to plug the cable by a different way and the cable itself to be longer and not as fat. Don't really like how the Velcro tape looks, some 3M with a magnet may be a betetr solution. Still, for $60 cheaper than the original ScanGauge this one one works the same way and is smaller. Not sure if I'm going to use all the functions (like entering how many gallons I've added every time I buy gas or checking CO2), the average MPG info is perfect for my needs and I'm a happy customer as of today.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, July 15, 2011
Works just like they said it would. When calculating the MPG on each tank, it's fairly close to the number I get when I figure the number the old fashioned way. The odometer is slightly off (about 1%), but I believe I fixed the problem (thanks to the customer support I found on Facebook) by adjusting the initial settings. The only other problem I have is that the unit itself has only one plug in the back, so you're limited in the ways you can mount it in your vehicle. I had another unit by a different company and they had one plug in the back and one on the side.
In all, I like it and I'd buy it for my other vehicles if they didn't already have trip computers from the factory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most informative gauges in the car, May 1, 2012
jake (Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews
Alright so your probably reading this review because your looking to buy the scangaugeE; well im not going to tell you to buy it, im going to tell you what it does and hopefully convince you on this great product.

DESIGN
first off the design isnt the best but hey ya gotta do with what ya get cuz it doesnt match anything on the interior, other than the customizable screen color which is amazing and has a few very vivid colors in the spectrum which are the primaries, matching the color of the SG to my dashboard was a piece of cake and spot on.

INSTALLATION
the provided 6 foot cable was just the right amount to route from the OBD2 connector through under the dash to the driverside A pillar and behind the A pillar bezel to the headliner then over to the rearview mirror, where the scangauge sits. back to when i said the cable is just the right amount i mean like and inch worth of length left in my saturn L series. awesome :)

THE GAUGES
well everything that the specs say it will read is true but is based on your car. everything reads for me except fuel pressure, but i didnt get it to read my fuel pressure so whatever. it gives me so much info on my car its amazing

RESULTS
i strongly believe i am driving better due to this gauge.
the day i got it my AVG mpg was 16... Holy crap in a saturn ! after watching the instant MPG while driving under all conditions i am/was able to tone my driving habits to get better.
so i started out with 16 mpg avg day one( driving like i would normally while acting like there wasnt a scangauge in front of me)
day two 26 mpg avg
then so on i was getting 28 mpg avg for the week
up until recently my best was 29 avg
BUT wait! theres more. tonight driving home i was able to attain 30.1 AVG MPG ( best so far, and probably all ill squeeze out of the 4cyl engine )
it also tells you instant MPG so you know what your workin with at any given time. not to brag but my best with foot not off the pedal was 42.X MPG wow! when foot is off it goes up to like the 100's

i believe this lil gadget has helped me learn my own car even better. ive owed it for almost two years and wondered why im always getting gas so often in a saturn. cuz i drive like i thought was efficient, guess not :(

overall this gadget is awesome! and my gas needle is like never moving anymore, lol

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed!, July 20, 2011
Brandon (Upland, California) - See all my reviews
This thing is perfect for monitoring my mpg in my gas sucking crown victoria with 3:55 gears. I haven't calibrated the fuel tank stuff yet as my tank is still 3/4 full but I am already liking the results it is giving me for instant mpg and average mpg.

PROS:
- Its really small and easy to find a good place to mount
- Great very bright screen with many colors to match your stock gauges
- Instant MPG readings seem spot on
- Options for other digital gauges (MPH, RPM, Water Temp, Battery Voltage)
- Will eventually help me save on gas!

CONS:
- The connection on the scangauge is only in the back no side connection. Might be a problem if you wanted to mount it against something rather than on top of.

EDIT: I've owned this for several months now and it has improved my gas mileage big time. I now average almost 18mpg on the freeway before I was getting 15mpg. I now know where I can speed up and get good gas mileage and where I need to slow down. Also the TO EMPTY has been very accurate and I rely on it versus my stock gas gauge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Insight, August 3, 2011
This is a great product for understanding the economics of driving. I especially like the trip cost gauge that tells you how much it costs in gas to make a trip. It really puts into perspective what the daily commute costs and what consequences your choices have on the overall cost of operating your vehicle. The product is easy to install, very readable, and fun to use. I am very happy with the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trip Computer and Code Reader, March 23, 2013
We bought it because our check engine light came on and instead of just getting a simple code reader, this also allows you to add trip computer functions to an older car. As for tracking the miles per gallon, it was a little bit off for the first fill up but was dead on after the second fill up and callobration. My husband can now track multiple things that my car computer outputs while driving it on trips that I was never able to do before as well as check the codes for the check engine light and clear them once the problem is fixed. We received it right on time and definitly would recommend using this company again!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Happy..., November 25, 2011
Cannot get it to do a full tank of fuel. Once the car is shut off, it automatically resets itself. Cant find anything in the settings to corect it. It was fairly close to what the MID says on the dash. Dash read 47.3, Scangauge read 46.6, actual was 45.5. This was on a single trip of about 300 miles through NJ and PA. Have done about 2500 miles, and will be returning it. It doesnt do anymore for me than the OEM gauges do. Its just a little easier to interpret than the factory gauge. Was delivered very fast from vendor.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful gadget for MPG concious driver, June 6, 2011
I was looking for something like this but the original ScanGauge II was just darn too expensive.

I am using it for about 2 weeks and it work as advertised ... I will not repeat what it can do, the description and the manual is fine.

I must say, even for non-techies this device has some good value... for example my Prius III gives a lots of information (well the most important metrics is about 5% off which is MPG damn those idiots).

But being a very high tech car, suprisingly there is no way to know things like RPM, battery voltage, cooler temps and a whole bunch of other things this ScanGauge E can tell you.

Setup is really easy plug it in and mount where ever you like ... for me the last part is so far not fixed. But the unit is pretty light so general double sided tape works for now until I decide the best place then I will use the provided velcro ... which seems pretty OK.

The trip computer functions are very educational and the running graph is also usefull to enhance driving habit. One thing is confusing to me is that when the car is idle (my engine is stopped) the MPG graph shows 0 MPG instead of just either keeping tha last point (in my case would be correct) or keep computing ... this is a bit of odd to me ... but if you are moving the graph seem to make good sense.