5.0 out of 5 stars What Scanning SHOULD Be Like
Published on October 27, 2007 by CA reader

1.0 out of 5 stars I returned it.
Well, Adobe Acrobat Professional on its own, runs about 384, and this scanner, with a free copy of Acrobat Professional, runs about 500. But outside of that, the scanner is an unreliable sheet feeder.

Published on April 8, 2008 by A. Maniscalco

5.0 out of 5 stars What Scanning SHOULD Be Like, October 27, 2007
This review is from: ScanSnap S510M Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Scanner (Office Product)
I just received this scanner. I've been collecting a stack of documents to scan and finally ran out of excuses with its arrival. I settled in for a long evening of unpleasantness. I put the first batch of 6 pages into the hopper, pressed the Scan button expecting a sloooowww, painful grind. But....? Each sheet whipped through effortlessly! Both sides of the double sided sheets scanned on a single pass! Everything was oriented correctly and automatically and the legibility was excellent. How did they DO this? I'm used to scanning taking so long I continually forget what I'm doing before I'm done. This is a whole new experience. Suddenly, I'm seeing the real possiblity of reducing all my file cabinets to a few CDs in my lifetime. Wow.

This is about my 5th scanner (HP, Epson previously) but the very first one to take the agony out of scanning. And it's such a cute little machine. I never would have believed it could accomplish such a masterful job. It also handles legal sized documents - you fold the document in half, it scans both sides at once and marries them back together!

Thank heavens they brought this out for the Mac.

5.0 out of 5 stars My jaw is still on the floor, November 3, 2007
I am using this scanner mainly for food magazines. I have plans to make everything digitalized and then setup a computer in the kitchen. Anyway, I have a stack of magazines in hand. When I finished setting up the scanner, put a page in, press the Scan button on the machine... I kid you not, it took less than 5 seconds for the piece of paper to go through the scanner. At first I was like "is it doing some kind of warm up?" But then I saw on my computer screen that it's actually processing the scan... WOW. The quality was superb. It's just amazing.

OK, let's run it through the OCR. I wasn't sure what to expect. You know magazine pages have all sorts of images and texts and they're all overlapping each other. Anyway, it came out perfect, I mean, perfect. I don't know how these guys managed to do that. Although I have to say the color of the page after being OCRed is a bit degraded, but not very noticeable.

So I started tearing up the whole magazine, removing all the ad pages, and it became about 60 sheets / 120 pages. Stack them all up, hit the scan button. Man, that was SO effortless. I carefully torn out the pages so that the rugged sides were not too bad. I did have to sit next to the scanner to catch the pages coming out from it, because from time to time the rugged edges would cling onto each other and pushes the whole pile to the floor. Whatever, I can spare 2 mins doing that. I set it to OCR directly after scanning, so I can just walk away afterwards.

I also used the Acrobat Pro to remove any more ad pages that were included in duplex scanning.

The whole experience was surreal. This little cute machine gives home scanners a completely new definition. It makes all other less expensive scanners expensive, in terms of the time you save, and plus the software you get. Remember, you're receiving a copy of Acrobat Pro, not just Standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just an excellent value but a superior product., November 21, 2007
Kenneth (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
I have used the product for little over a month now with Apple Mac OS X Leopard. The first impulse I felt after seeing this ScanSnap in action was to get all my documents out of the drawer, scan them all and dispose off the space robbing file folders/boxes or whatchamacallit! It's one of the best investments I have made. It works flawlessly. It gives new meaning to the word "ease of use"! The inclusion of Adobe Acrobat 8 (not yet fully/officially supported on Leopard but so far works fine) itself is worth the price. Fujitsu seems to have understood very well the concept of "elegance in simplicity" so much espoused by Apple in its products and philosophy. This is one of those products where you can't think of anything to add to make it better!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Before Scanner" vs "After Scanner", April 9, 2008
Ask Bjørn Hansen (Los Angeles, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This thing is amazing. My paper organization is completely divided into "before scanner" and "after scanner". I'm able to find any important document or financial statement I've received since getting the scanner; or rather - I can find the scanned version. The paper copy just goes in a big box to be stored for 7-8 years (for tax purposes).

The ScanManager software is great. It has a bunch of features, but ignore most of them. The best part is just to set it to "Scan to file" which means that it gets completely out of your way and just leaves PDF files in a folder on the disk ("Scan to folder" inexplicably makes you do a lot more work).

The included software can convert your documents to text - or more accurately add the text to the otherwise image-only PDF files. I don't use it though, it's pretty slow and makes the files A LOT bigger. For me just organizing the files by year and type ("banking", "taxes", "expense", "contracts") does the job. The scanner also comes with Adobe Acrobat Professional, but I strongly recommend that you just use OS X 10.5 (Leopard). The "QuickLook" feature and the improvements in the Preview PDF viewer are perfect for the job of quickly organizing, doing light editing (remove unneeded pages for example) or looking through many pdf files.

Another recommendation: Look into JungleDisk to backup your important documents. It will store them securely on Amazons servers with their S3 service and it's incredibly cheap. I have a thousand PDF files stored now and I pay less than a dime a month for that.

The footprint of the scanner is great when it's folded up; it will easily fit on your desk. The user interface is also just about perfect: Open it up to turn it on. Press the button to scan.

The only thing I could wish for would be having the document feeder work better; my pages often get stuck to each other so I generally feed it one page at a time. If your papers are in better shape than mine it might work better for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scanner, April 9, 2008
Ken (Mountain View, CA) - See all my reviews
Just received the scanner this week and so far like it a lot. I spent an evening scanning hundreds of pages with no problems. Its very fast yet produces great quality scans. As others have said, this is a great tool to go paperless. Its surprisingly compact and the software is very integrated with Apple's OS. Also super easy to get started without reading any documentation (just remember to install the SW before you connect the scanner to your Mac). However, the included Adobe Acrobat Pro Software is very valuable and probably worth reading the manual for in order to get even more value from the scanner. I always read Amazon reviews and never post but thought Fujitsu deserved a few minutes of my time given the great quality of this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best technology purchase for me in a long time, January 25, 2008
I'm a computer professional with over 24 years of computing experience and I have to say that this is probably one of best technology purchases I've made in quite some time. I've always been a paper pack rat and after looking at a electronic document management package called DevonThink with it's tight integration with the ScanSnap series of scanners I took the plunge and purchased this unit. Within just a week I scanned in excess of 800 pages of documents and started filing them away properly and cleaning out the filling cabinet.

The only negative review complained about how it does not handle different page sizes in the same ADF load and this is partially incorrect. I've found that if I place the larger pages in the front and the smaller pages in the rear that the scanner will detect them automatically and it works like a champ, and at this point you can re-arrange them via the include Adobe Acrobat Professional that comes with the scanner.

The quality of the scanned pages is great (I used a Brother 7820N MFC device before, but this is better), they seem to feed in relatively straight all the time (however you can have the ScanSnap software straighten them in case they don't), I really can't say enough about how great this device is. The other part I'd like to mention is that it works with 10.5 (Leopard) without any problems.

So one last comment, I'm usually not that guy to write a review or better yet rave about a scanner but this thing is changing my life for the better and if you're looking to archive your documents and get rid of the clutter you can't go wrong with this purchase...it's a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this Scanner, December 17, 2007
J. B. Ward (Alameda, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I was on the fence about this scanner because it's a little pricey and I already have an all-in-one Epson flatbed scanner, however within the first few hours of using it I feel absolutely great about this purchase. For me, it's a "what is your time worth" problem. I keep paper copies of all of my statements, bills, etc. to the point that it's filled my 2-drawer filing cabinet and about half a dozen of the plastic tote filing bins you get at Office Depot. Seeing that this may be a tad ridiculous I realized that moving to electronic copies for most everything was the way to go. I'm a Mac power-user so I was expecting to be really critical of the software - too often apps are ported to the Mac with little care but Fujitsu did this right in that they developed for the Mac user. The Scanner hardware works really, really well and is successful in 99 out of a 100 docs on average - I have only had about 1 jam on an old mess of a document and it handled it perfectly the second time. As others have mentioned jams clear in an instant thanks to the well thought out design of the unit. Getting back to the software I am running Leopard on an Intel iMac and everything has been rock solid. It comes with the latest Acrobat if you want to get fancy but I've been happy just scanning to pdf's as fast as I can feed them through. The software is pretty flexible as to what the post-scan action to take is - you can instruct it to open in Acrobat or other apps (for example, I use Preview to do a quick QA check). I am really impressed with the stability of the driver and scan management software in combination with the hardware. Fujitsu's design philosophy is holistic and in the Mac spirit - you can literally be up and scanning within a few seconds of flipping the unit open showcasing the attention to detail in hardware/software integration. I have been delighted with being able to put a stack of 20 utility bills and watch them scan to a single pdf within seconds without a hitch - amazing!

Getting back to what is my time worth I have saved so much time by adopting a new means to organize and store my documents that within a weekend this machine paid for itself. As a new Dad, turning hours into minutes is priceless. Get this machine - it will bring about a very positive change in your workflow and save you space and time.

1.0 out of 5 stars I returned it., April 8, 2008

It has a great cold-cathode imaging light, meaning it gets solid color, great images, but it's sensitive to being banged around. When it scans, it does so effortlessly--recognizing double sided pages, and scanning both sides in an instant. The OCR software is convenient, but not pushy. You can OCR a bunch of scanned documents at a later time (as it occupies the computer).

But, the biggest problem, is double-feeding or triple-feeding pages. It has a fragile tensioner mechanism which keeps it from double feeding. As it uses a vertical/gravity feed, this piece is more important (compared with some horizontal feeders like the HP's and to a lesser extent, the Brother scanners).

The tensioner is so sensitive, that on a paper jam (the first day I used it) it became misaligned--it couldn't feed properly. I adjusted, and even removed and replaced the tensioner piece, but it kept popping out. After that first paper jam, it worked ok for about a day, and then all it would do is double-feed. I gave up.

So to recap, great software (worth it on that basis alone probably), high quality imager, but the feeder stinks and prevents the scanner from serving its purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing, February 29, 2008
I purchased this product in a effort to eliminate large amounts of paper from my house. Apple made huge improvements to the Spotlight feature in Mac OS X Leopard, so I felt it was about time to go "paperless". A friend recommended using this scanner as a way to get documents into an electronic format quickly.

Using the S510M, I'm able to scan 100s of pages in one hour. Once scanned, I simply put them all in a single directory on my computer and use Spotlight (the magnifying glass at the top right of the screen) to find any document I need. I don't need to file them with meaningful filenames or put them into folders - Spotlight hasn't let me down yet, and it's very very fast at finding what I'm looking for.

Everything you've read in other reviews of this scanner is true. It really can scan both sides of 18 pages in 1 minute. To use Spotlight to find documents I need to use the excellent OCR software that is included, called FineReader. Depending on the amount of detail on the page, I usually find that FineReader is the thing that limits the speed I can scan documents, but only slightly. Basically, this scanner can read documents as fast as you can feed them to it.

The included software is excellent value. Adobe Acrobat Professional is not as polished an application as it could be, but it good at what it does. I've found myself using this software more as a standalone application, rather than for documents I've scanned. As an example, I've created PDFs with forms that can be filled in using Acrobat Reader or Preview. Mac OS is excellent at handling PDFs, and can do much of what Acrobat can do, but there are one or two things it is nice to have Acrobat for.

Installing Acrobat onto Leopard took a little bit of an effort, as I needed to find the correct patches to download and apply to it. After installation Acrobat's auto update feature would not work, but after I applied some patches it began to work correctly.

As I mentioned before, the OCR software included is called FineReader. This is not a full version of the product, as it is limited to process only PDF files created using the scanner. For me, this isn't a big limitation. The accuracy of this software is incredible, and is the main reason I can rely on Spotlight to retrieve documents I've scanned. The last time I used OCR was around 8 years ago, and the technology has improved beyond recognition since then.

You should note that this scanner is designed for making PDFs of documents such as bank statements, utility bills, contracts, etc. It is not really suitable for scanning things like photographs, although it can do it.

This scanner is expensive, but I would recommend it given the amount of time it will save you. It is very well made, comes with the best software, is small, works with a single button press, and never fails. Products this good are very rare, I just wish I'd bought one years ago!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent design, October 1, 2008
I have installed one at work. The footprint is pretty decent, despite my crowded desk. As others have noted, the product tends to pull in multiple pages of paper at times. This is primarily when many sheets have been together (e.g., stapled, or pulled from a journal/magazine) and have not been "riffled" to get a little air between the sheets.

Generally, with multipage stapled documents I clip off the staple and riffle the sheets; this eliminates the problem. I have not had problems with it feeding glossy pages from medical journals.

The software is generally easy to use. I typically "scan to file" and I wish the window for selecting the desired folder wasn't in the format of the Windows "explore" function; I'd rather it were like opening folders in a regular window.

In addition, it'd be nice to be able to delete unwanted pages from within the scan menu before saving them all to a file (you can see all scanned pages there, but can't delete any). It takes going into the file later with Adobe 8 (still getting used to that app) to delete them.

Have used the business card scanning app only a couple of times. Seems useful, but my opinion is awfully premature.

Overall, however, I give this device high marks (4/5). I'm an administrator and physician, and often scan in notes, interesting papers, photocopied pages of books, and odd-sized things. I'm a bit of a geek, too, and enjoy well-designed software and hardware. This isn't perfect, but pretty darn good.

ScanSnap S510M Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Scanner