Eco-friendly cookware from SCANPAN SCANPAN wants to make a difference in your kitchen and in the environment. They manufacture cookware with respect for people's well-being, using environmentally responsible methods and materials. They strive to minimize the environmental impact of their production process from their factory in Denmark by using stainless steel and 100% recycled aluminum. Using recycled aluminum saves a lot of waste (85.4 kilos per 1 kilo of aluminum, in fact) and creates less waste than other materials. Recycling aluminum also uses considerably less energy in the production process compared to new aluminum. SCANPAN was the first cookware manufacturer to bring environmentally friendly, PFOA-free products to the market. Today, all SCANPAN products are free from both PFOA and PFOS, preventing the transfer of harmful chemicals to your cooking. They achieve this and manage to deliver the best performing cookware on the market. About SCANPAN A manufacturer of eco-friendly cookware, SCANPAN is one of the world's leading manufacturers of non-stick products and has been producing Danish kitchenware of the highest quality and durability for over five decades. Sticking to their roots in traditional craftsmanship, SCANPAN creates functional and timeless tools for modern kitchens. With a brand that's constantly evolving, they're proud to be at the forefront of innovation and technology. Since their inception in 1956, their hand cast aluminum products with patented coating have formed the core of their business. To this day, they still cast all of their own non-stick aluminum products at their own factory in Denmark. Environmentally friendly cookware. Squeeze-cast recycled aluminum construction. Non-stick ceramic titanium coating safe for use with metal utensils. Stay-cool black handles attached with patented locking system. Oven- and broiler-proof up to 500 degrees F. Suitable for all cook tops except induction. Dishwasher safe. Includes 12-inch wok.
Rounded in the classic wok tradition but with a flat bottom for today's stovetop burners, the Scanpan Classic 12-1/2-inch stir-fry pan cooks up any combination of meat, seafood, poultry, and vegetables. Made in Denmark of pressure-cast aluminum, the heavy-gauge pan distributes and retains heat evenly and features a ceramic-titanium nonstick finish that is safe for use with metal utensils. The high-density phenolic resin handle and helper handle are securely attached without rivets to provide a smooth inner surface and facilitate stirring and cleaning, and are guaranteed not to come loose. Should you wish to keep the contents hots, the wok and is oven-safe to 500 degrees F. While dishwasher-safe, washing by hand is recommended to best preserve the nonstick finish. A metal rack and pair of wooden chopsticks is included; a Scanpan stainless-steel lid is available separately.
In response to environmental concerns regarding nonstick finishes, Scanpan in 2007 introduced its Green Tek nonstick technology. Working with its suppliers, Scanpan is the first cookware company to completely eliminate the use of the harmful chemical PFOA from the entire process used to make its nonstick compound. The new PFOA-free nonstick finish is now found on all Scanpan Classic and Professional cookware. Scanpan covers its cast-aluminum cookware with a full lifetime warranty. --Ann Bieri
From the Manufacturer
| || |
About Green Tek Nonstick Technology:
In the more recent past, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has taken the leading manufacturer of nonstick compounds to task over excessive emissions of PFOA (Perfluorooctanoic Acid). PFOA has been used as a catalyst in the production of PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene), the basic building block for all nonstick cookware surfaces.
PFOA is a chemical that is hard to break down in the environment. It has a half life of 3.8 years, meaning that if there are 4 grams of PFOA in the body today, the body will have 2 grams in it in four years from now, 1 gram in eight years from now and so on. The human metabolism does not remove PFOA. While it is not a carcinogen or toxin and is generally assumed inert and not harmful to your health, it is environmentally unfriendly and just sticks around forever. That is why the EPA and the leading nonstick manufacturer have agreed that by 2010, the amount of PFOA used to produce PTFE compounds need to be cut by 95%, and by 2015 no PFOA could be used, at all.
Towards the end of this process, PFOA is completely extracted via ionization filters. Even if any traces of PFOA were still present by the time the nonstick compound reached the cookware factory, the pan surface curing temperatures would destroy such remnants. The same is true for the old nonstick compound used for Scanpan Classic and Scanpan Professional. That's why Scanpan has always been able to present the finished product as not containing PFOA.
Scanpan cookware has always been PFOA free, but the negative publicity that PFOA and, by extension, PTFE had received over the last few years, had caused Scanpan to work closely with their suppliers to find a substitute for PFOA that is biodegradable. Scanpan received patents on PFOA-free technology in 2007 and has been producing Scanpan Classic and Scanpan Professional with this new process since spring 2007. With their new Green Tek technology, there is no PFOA used at any stage of the entire process, resulting in a "clean and green" nonstick PTFE compound, the production of which no longer uses chemicals that could have a negative impact on the environment.
The performance of the Scanpan Green Tek surface is not different in any way from the performance of Scanpan's previous surface. And Scanpan continues to incorporate their patented ceramic-titanium technology. Scanpan is safe to use with metal utensils and each piece comes with a lifetime warranty.
Taking Care of Scanpan Classic Cookware:
1. Before first use, remove all packing materials, labels and tags and wash pan in hot, soapy water. Rinse well and dry. Assemble the glass cover handle, if applicable, following the instructions on the poly bag that holds all handle parts. Tighten by hand, only, do not use tools. Make sure the small washer that goes on the underside of the glass cover is flush with the glass surface. If not, turn the washer around and re-assemble the handle.
2. Heat pan to working temperature. Medium heat is typically sufficient for frying and sauteing. Since each stove top has its own settings, find the best heat setting for your stove by starting at a lower setting, then gradually increase until water splashed on the pan surface evaporates immediately with a sizzle. High heat can be used for other applications, like boiling water, stir frying, oven roasting etc. Scanpan Classic Cookware is oven safe to 500 degrees F.
3. Scanpan Classic can be used without oil, butter, or other seasonings, making it especially suitable for low fat diets.
4. After use, remove food and clean Scanpan Classic with warm, soapy water. Scanpan Classic wipes clean with a sponge. Scanpan Classic is dishwasher safe, however, Scanpan recommends using extra care if you decide to clean the pans in the dishwasher to prevent damage to plates, glassware, etc.
5. When storing Scanpan Classic Cookware and "nesting" (placing smaller pots inside larger pots) is required due to space limitations, Scanpan recommends placing a paper or cloth towel between the pots and pans to prevent scuff marks. Glass covers should ideally be stored upright. If that is not practical, Scanpan recommends using towels or other suitable material to wrap the covers and to prevent them from chipping or breaking.
This shopping feature will continue to load items. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading.